Western Pacific Purse Seiners looking for Masters and Mates

Bob Walton from Marine Recruiters is looking for people for these purse seiners, his number is 206-232-6041.

Also Tri-Marine in American Samoa: Mikey Wesneski- Trimarine: mike@trimarinegroup.com

and the 2 US-Taiwanese companies are advertising for people:
Larry DaRosa (one of the US- Taiwanese companies): ldarosa1@cox.net
Bobby Virissimo (South Pacific Tuna Corporation, another US-Tai) bobbyv@sopactuna.com

I hear through the grapevine that they’re offering Masters $450/day and Mates $350/day.

Doug,

do you know if these companies are retaining the vessel fishing masters…if so what do you speculate their “authority” aboard will consist of???

**also the pay seems a liitle “light” unless it is supplimented by “shares”??

:Dwould you be considering testing these “waters” again…need a mate??:rolleyes:

There are still fishing masters on board. I think the presence of three American officers instead of one will go a long way towards eliminating the issues I faced. I’d love to go out there again, under the right circumstances. Now isn’t the right time, but someday? I hope to do it at least once more just to rinse the bad taste out of my mouth.

made a e-mail inquiry mainly for "Ss&Gs to the Trimarine group as I am currently employed…"they are only considering personnel with “fishing experience at this time”???that is understandable but maybe further BS for additional consideration for the waiver issue…this industry segment needs to re flag their US vessels or “bite the bullet” and do the “right thing”!!!

Here is some stuff I found out when I contacted the Commander that withdrew the exemption on Officers on the DWTF.

Not much effort on their part to find the qualified people I did a search on each company or organization listed and came up with nothing yet.

This way they can claim that thy tried and could not find the proper personnel.

Dear Sirs,

I’m replying to you because you’ve reached out to me for possible employment opportunities due to the recent expiration of exemption for DWTF manning requirements. While I cannot point you to specific companies to contact, I am able to provide you the following agencies which the companies have claimed to have contacted. I hope the below list is helpful to you:

American Tuna Boat Association (San Diego, CA)
Maritime Institute Inc. (San Diego, CA)
Reefer Phils, Inc. (Philippines)
International Organization of Masters
Mates & Pilots (www.bridgedeck.org)
Uliga Shipping Agency (Marshall Islands)
Ocean Care Company (Pohnpei),
Pohnpei-Transportation and Storage (Pohnpei)
Kendall Micronesia Inc. (Marshall Islands)

Please call or e-mail if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Commander Scott Kim
Fourteenth Coast Guard District
Chief, Inspections & Investigations Branch
300 Ala Moana Blvd., Ste. 9-212
Honolulu, HI 96850-4982
Office: (808) 535-3421
Fax: (808) 535-3404

The comander email address is Scott.H.Kim@uscg.mil if wish to send a commit.

A Chief Engineer (American) I know who has spent his entire career on those DWTF seiners was told by one of the companies that “we have no openings at this time.” Hard to believe that one.

The Tuna seiner companies put up the advertisements here and there, but nobody is really intersted in hiring U.S. Ship Master, navigators whatever.
The HR person is not available all the time… And then they turn to USCG saying that they tried but no U.S. Licensed personnels available…and the waivers will be granted again…Oh, dear

Commander Kim emailed me today and thanked me for my input on the DWTF lack of effort to find qualified people for the open postions, he also stated that he has received quite a few emails the last few days from people about the lack of job offering, he also asked for more imput and examples from people that this effects to take to congress about this, Basicly he asked tho spread the word and get as many people to respond that are not finding the openings offered, I know that I did an extensive search of their stated contacts and did find one postion open for Navigator. So maybe this could be a start of limiting the use of US flag vessels as no better than a US chicken factory filled with illegals.

he is wanting more input Scott.H.Kim@uscg.mil to email

Here is a copy of the email I receive.

Thank you for your e-mail. Your comments are very valuable to us and I will make sure it gets passed up to my superiors.

In the recent days, I’ve received a number of similar e-mails from other mariners that I forwarded to our Headquarters. In turn, they are collating gathering information for their brief to the U.S. Congress. I encourage you to continue to discuss among your colleagues and send e-mails/letters to us at the above e-mail address and to your Congressional representatives.

Sincerely,
Commander Scott Kim
Fourteenth Coast Guard District
Chief, Inspections & Investigations Branch
300 Ala Moana Blvd., Ste. 9-212
Honolulu, HI 96850-4982
Office: (808) 535-3421
Fax: (808) 535-3404
Email: scott.h.kim@uscg.mil

More US mariner jobs on US flag vessels being outsourced by US “interests”…All this is a smoke and mirror bullshit scam at the expense of US mariners just trying to find a job…JMHO!!

[QUOTE=seadawg;41488]More US mariner jobs on US flag vessels being outsourced by US “interests”…All this is a smoke and mirror bullshit scam at the expense of US mariners just trying to find a job…JMHO!![/QUOTE]
You are right, SD. That’s why I sent e-mail to him and got a similiar response ; to pass it over the shoulder to someone else( if he is existing at all) like this.

Dear Mr. Captain xxxx,

Thank you for your e-mail. Your comments are very valuable to us and I will make sure it gets passed up to my superiors…

[QUOTE=dougpine;41188]There are still fishing masters on board. I think the presence of three American officers instead of one will go a long way towards eliminating the issues I faced. [/QUOTE]

Used to work as a navigator where only 3 Americans working as a Fish Master, Navigator and Cheif Engineer.

Now there will be three American Officers on the Seiners in Western pacific…

Dougpine, Please kindly advise how three American Officers will work on the boat, such as positions, watch structures, etc.

A very good post and certainly these are points really useful.

[QUOTE=capitanahn;41531]
Dougpine, Please kindly advise how three American Officers will work on the boat, such as positions, watch structures, etc.[/QUOTE]

Im not out there so I don’t know. When I was out there it was different. I would assume that they will now be run legally and safely, with safeguards in place to protect the crewmembers and the environment.

There are lots of fishing jobs available if you want to work the unlicensed structure stateside.
Most are on a share basis and a chance to make a good score - but also the possibility to work a 100 hour week and owe the boat money.
Anybody have a take on Omega Protein ?
They advertise for licensed jobs during the Menhaden season.

Distant Water Tuna Fleet first.

Here’s what the job looks like, courtesy of Eddie DaCosta, C/E on the “Raffaello”:

//youtu.be/348apH3pe3k

Great Footage ! Thanks, DP.

American EEZ has been lost to foreigners, now it is coming back to American…theoretically.
It is up to us Americans to reclaim our EEZ. We need to stand up to protect American jobs.

Any practical news or informations are welcomed…

anyone got further update on the DWTF crewing issue…have new waivers been issued and been quashed by the powers to be??