Western Pacific Purse Seiners looking for Masters and Mates

I found this at ;

http://samoanewsonline.com/viewstory.php?storyid=17350

Valuable information.

Everything that has come of this to date is that these companies are trolling the depths for certified American mariners. I was quoted a dayrate of $400 as master of one of the vessels owned or managed by Tri-Marine. I was told that was all the compensation offered…no catch percentage or bonus as is usually the case with fishing vessels. When I told them I was getting substantially more in the offshore industry, the reply was I should just stay there! I believe that these Tuna vessel owners are really hoping to find guys who are desperate for the work and will take it at very low scale and who will not make any kind of fuss if they witness the crimes that Doug Pine saw take place daily.

Does anybody have a list of the 29 vessels that make up the US flagged DWTF and how many of these already had the required US mariners aboard? Is the Z fleet still US flagged?

DWTF ;

http://www.ntsb.gov/Events/forum_fishing_vessel_safety/Background/2010%2004%2030%20DHS%20Distant%20Water%20Tuna%20Fleet%20Report.pdf

But, there’ no numbers of boats hiring 3 American Licensed mariners…maybe we can ask USCG for the info’s.

[QUOTE=c.captain;41925]
Does anybody have a list of the 29 vessels that make up the US flagged DWTF and how many of these already had the required US mariners aboard? Is the Z fleet still US flagged?[/QUOTE]

I applied for the job on the seiner through Bob Walton & Trimarine about 2~3 weeks go. As we expected, there’s no response. Just dragging their feet until the candidates drop out…So I sent the e-mail to U.S. coast guard that how many boats are properly manned by American licensed personnel, so far…Will wait for the reply.

I agree with all the people who have commented that the companies are trying to find anyone who will work for the lowest wages. They are only looking for people desperate enough to work there for nothing and if they don;t find enough of those people, then they will go right to the Coast Guard for another exemption letter! I don;t know how to do it but we need to find a way to get them to pay at least the US officers a decent wage and trip length, along with the other usual benefits of a US job (decent food, accomodations, communications, etc). The tours are very long and the money is low. No shares of the catch either for the US crew. These boats are still ALL working with all foreigners who are making about $300/MONTH and thier contracts are for at least a year, most go for 18-24 months! When I was there, they asked me all the time, how come they are working on an American boat but not getting American wages??? What could I say? The boat is chartered to a foreign company and ‘somehow’ the boat got “exemptions” from the US rules for wages, work hours, etc, etc, etc… sad but true!
Way too many boats working as US flag or requiring US crew have somehow gotten exemptions and I for one would like to see it stopped. I was on another boat working in the oilfield which was required to have US crew but the company had written a letter to the USCG asking for an exemtion on the basis of they could not find US crew. Well, if they would pay US wages, then there would be absolutely NO problem finding US crew. Pay in the Gulf is better but still not enough for what they are asking of us now a days!!!

[QUOTE=JP;42055]I agree with all the people who have commented that the companies are trying to find anyone who will work for the lowest wages. They are only looking for people desperate enough to work there for nothing and if they don;t find enough of those people, then they will go right to the Coast Guard for another exemption letter! [/QUOTE]
400 a day is not too bad, CM on Tagos will be making a litle more if paid vacation’s considered…We need to keep American jobs at DWTF. If we do not apply for the jobs, the waivers will be granted again…

[QUOTE=capitanahn;42052][QUOTE=c.captain;41925]
Does anybody have a list of the 29 vessels that make up the US flagged DWTF and how many of these already had the required US mariners aboard? Is the Z fleet still US flagged?[/QUOTE]

I applied for the job on the seiner through Bob Walton & Trimarine about 2~3 weeks go. As we expected, there’s no response. Just dragging their feet until the candidates drop out…So I sent the e-mail to U.S. coast guard that how many boats are properly manned by American licensed personnel, so far…Will wait for the reply.[/QUOTE]

You’ll find the list in this document.

[QUOTE=dougpine;42084]You’ll find the list in this document.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for posting this Doug…

Another huge giveaway by the Federal Government in favor of corporations over American mariners! It makes be believe even more strongly now that an association for professional mariners needs to be founded to represent all US citizen mariners to the Congress and Administration. An association which would embody ALL mariners be they union, non unions, fisheries, offshore, towing ,deepsea, whatever. If it is a vessel which requires an American with certification then those mariners need a voice.

It would be easy to start such an association and how to get members to sign up and pay an annual membership fee without everybody quaking in their boots that they’ll somehow be blacklisted if they join? The voice of one wil not be heard in Washington, but maybe the voices of many might be…it is the only way this shit can be stopped!

[QUOTE=c.captain;42087]Thank you very much for posting this Doug…

Another huge giveaway by the Federal Government in favor of corporations over American mariners! It makes be believe even more strongly now that an association for professional mariners needs to be founded to represent all US citizen mariners to the Congress and Administration. An association which would embody ALL mariners be they union, non unions, fisheries, offshore, towing ,deepsea, whatever. If it is a vessel which requires an American with certification then those mariners need a voice.

It would be easy to start such an association and how to get members to sign up and pay an annual membership fee without everybody quaking in their boots that they’ll somehow be blacklisted if they join? The voice of one wil not be heard in Washington, but maybe the voices of many might be…it is the only way this shit can be stopped![/QUOTE]

The National Mariner’s Association exists, and is quite active in the regulatory venue. It represents the interests of limited tonnage licensed, uh, “certificated” mariners.

A month passed since I applied for the job. No response from the companies yet…I can’t wait too long…So, this is the way they handle the matter…
“We can’t find a U.S. Mariners…So, we are applying for the next waiver…” Oh Dear…

[QUOTE=capitanahn;42178]A month passed since I applied for the job. No response from the companies yet…I can’t wait too long…So, this is the way they handle the matter…
“We can’t find a U.S. Mariners…So, we are applying for the next waiver…” Oh Dear…[/QUOTE]

Write to the USCG Officer listed in pots #5, 8 and 9.

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;42182]Write to the USCG Officer listed in pots #5, 8 and 9.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely write the Coast Guard. They want to hear from people like you.

[QUOTE=dougpine;42192]Absolutely write the Coast Guard. They want to hear from people like you.[/QUOTE]

Hello, Capt. Pine,

I just sent the e-mail to the Scott H. Kim of USCG with the contents about the way the DWTF company handle the applicant.

[QUOTE=capitanahn;42212]Hello, Capt. Pine,I just sent the e-mail to the Scott H. Kim of USCG with the contents about the way the DWTF company handle the applicant.[/QUOTE]

capitanahn,

if you you are so inclined please post the USCG response…my last response from them read like “cookie cutter form letter thanking me for my interest and concern”??

**someone might want to direct them to this thread??

Best Luck BTW!!

No response from Scott H. Kim, US coast guard, either…

IMHO…if this segment of our industry persists in “playing games” the USCG might want to consider denying them the HONOR of flying the US FLAG and relegate them to some 3rd world FOC…at least the US tax payer won’t have to to foot the bill for another debacle similar to what Doug Pine was subjected to.

Mr Kim will respond, it has taken up to a week sometimes, 1st they need the US flag to fish were they fish, second they will continue as is until they are hurt on the bottom line. Having 20 years of Fishing experence and two times being seized for non compliance I can tell you until the CG takes action and holds one of the boats in port until it is manned properly things will not change. Once they do every boat will scramble to fully man the vessels. Keep sending the emails to Commander Kim seems to be the best option presently IMO.

[QUOTE=mvcmyrle;42242]Mr Kim will respond, it has taken up to a week sometimes, 1st they need the US flag to fish were they fish, second they will continue as is until they are hurt on the bottom line. Having 20 years of Fishing experence and two times being seized for non compliance I can tell you until the CG takes action and holds one of the boats in port until it is manned properly things will not change. Once they do every boat will scramble to fully man the vessels. Keep sending the emails to Commander Kim seems to be the best option presently IMO.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your encouragement and detailed info, mvcmyrle…
Probably, I am not the only guy who applied…Please any applicant be encouraged
to send the e-mail the same like I did… Wish to hear…

I seem to recall that Kelly Sweeney at Maritime Headhunters placed a Mate on the “Pacific Breeze”. You may want to check and see if he has any leads on other seiners down there.