Western Pacific Purse Seiners looking for Masters and Mates

[QUOTE=seadawg;42225]capitanahn,

if you you are so inclined please post the USCG response…my last response from them read like “cookie cutter form letter thanking me for my interest and concern”??

**someone might want to direct them to this thread??

Best Luck BTW!![/QUOTE]

Today I got a response from USCG as follows ;

[B]RE: Long waiting[/B]

<NOBR>Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:31 PM</NOBR>

“Kim, Scott CDR” <Scott.H.Kim@uscg.mil>
View contact details

To:
capitanahn@yahoo.com

Dear Mr. Hahn,

Thanks again for your e-mail. I am not sure if I can do anything on your behalf at this time; however, please note that your comments will be used as fodder for the Coast Guard’s future correspondence with the companies as well as with the U.S. Congress.

Sincerely,
Commander Scott Kim
Fourteenth Coast Guard District
Chief, Inspections & Investigations Branch
300 Ala Moana Blvd., Ste. 9-212
Honolulu, HI 96850-4982
Office: (808) 535-3421
Fax: (808) 535-3404
Email: scott.h.kim@uscg.mil

In the link provided by Douppine http://www.ntsb.gov/Events/forum_fishing_vessel_safety/Background/2010%2004%2030%20DHS%20Distant%20Water%20Tuna%20Fleet%20Report.pdf there is also telephone number for contact of liasons, I am going to try and call and see what comes of that, I also plan on trying to get Thad Allens contact info plan on getting in contact with all of the Sentors and Congressman listed to voice my concerns about the manning of the vessel and qualified canidates searching for work.

Since I am searching for work rather than working I took the list of vessels on the list and Google each one and after quite a considerable amount of time found most if not all of the managing companies for the vessels (they were ussally in groups of 5 or 6 boats)   searched again and was able to find a name or company fax number using the address of the managing company and then blindly send a fax of my resume and cover letter.   Most were received in silence although I did get some positive responses, and am very close to landing a job with one of them.  These boats are out for a considerable amount of time sometimes need someone quickly as I was reminded a short time ago when I received a call a couple of saturdays ago about flying out on wed.  This has been delayed but I am now ready to grab the seabag and run.  I am reallly interested in these positions in the future and would like to see the manning stay US for all the officers.

Earlier this week I jumped into my car and drove 600 miles and hit the personel offices of the seafood companies is Seattle that I had applied at in June, this is the end of the seasons and things are decompressing everyone is relaxed. But they are planning already for next season and decsions on personel are being made at this time. There is also Shipyard work available this time of year to hold over until the next season. Dirty but lets you get to know the vessel and pays some bills until the season begins.

The trip was successful as in one office a open had came up a few days earlier that was right in line with my experience in AK (She had not thought of me even though we known each other for 15-20 years and knew I threw my hat back ring in June and promised the next position). I have accepted the postition that opens in mid Oct. until then I am playing out the Tuna Navigator job just in case until I am on the plane.

As stated in other posts Boots on the ground does work,  if I had not been there at that time odds are someone else would be getting that job.

Good luck

[QUOTE=mvcmyrle;42268]I also plan on trying to get Thad Allens contact info plan on getting in contact with all of the Sentors and Congressman listed to voice my concerns about the manning of the vessel and qualified canidates searching for work.

Since I am searching for work rather than working I took the list of vessels on the list and Google each one and after quite a considerable amount of time found most if not all of the managing companies for the vessels (they were ussally in groups of 5 or 6 boats) searched again and was able to find a name or company fax number using the address of the managing company and then blindly send a fax of my resume and cover letter. Most were received in silence although I did get some positive responses, and am very close to landing a job with one of them. These boats are out for a considerable amount of time sometimes need someone quickly as I was reminded a short time ago when I received a call a couple of saturdays ago about flying out on wed. This has been delayed but I am now ready to grab the seabag and run. I am reallly interested in these positions in the future and would like to see the manning stay US for all the officers.

Good luck[/QUOTE]

Great cause and great efforts, we need keep U.S. jobs available to all U.S. Licensed personnel. Thank you very much mvcmyrle…

I was able to email my comments to the senate members and one congressman, most of the others have district block on emails if you are not from their zip code they do not want to here from you. there is fax #s for the committee’s and if i had a land line I would fax to the committee’s they are on. I am sure I will get the standard form from them in the mail stating (thanks for the support ect. ) but worth a try it might get the right persons eye.

Sent another to the top guy here also. http://www.uscg.mil/seniorleadership/questions.asp?r=ccg

[QUOTE=dougpine;42257]I seem to recall that Kelly Sweeney at Maritime Headhunters placed a Mate on the “Pacific Breeze”. You may want to check and see if he has any leads on other seiners down there.[/QUOTE]

Capt. Pine, His website seems not responding…

[QUOTE=capitanahn;42336]Capt. Pine, His website seems not responding…[/QUOTE]

It worked for me just 20 seconds ago. Give it another try.

[QUOTE=CaptAndrew;42343]It worked for me just 20 seconds ago. Give it another try.[/QUOTE]

He finally responded…wish I land Oil Rig Master’s job through him…

Fortunately, one of the Tuna seiner companies which I waited for a long time sent me a job offer, last night… See how it unfolds…

Congrats on the offer I hope it works out for you, I took the job in Alaska, 20 winters under my belt up there I sure do hope the easten Pacific widens up , less pay but better on aging bones.

[QUOTE=mvcmyrle;42412]Congrats on the offer I hope it works out for you, I took the job in Alaska, 20 winters under my belt up there I sure do hope the easten Pacific widens up , less pay but better on aging bones.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, mvcmyrle, We all need a luck…

I feel that the manning exemption is going to be back soon, others as myself have had there job offers closed today. It may have been in the bill signed by Obama today to extend Gov Spending.

They win!!! How many applied?

<CENTER>[B]H.R.3619[/B]

</CENTER><CENTER>[B]Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2010 (Introduced in House - IH)[/B]</CENTER><HR>

[B]SEC. 1115. OFFICER REQUIREMENTS FOR DISTANT WATER TUNA VESSELS.[/B]

[ul]Section 8103 of title 46, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the follow new subsection:
[/ul]
[ul](l) Officer Requirements for Distant Water Tuna Vessels- [/ul] [ul] [LIST](1) CITIZENSHIP- Notwithstanding subsection (a), a purse seine tuna fishing vessel documented under chapter 121 fishing exclusively for highly migratory species under a fishing license issued pursuant to the 1987 Treaty on Fisheries Between the Governments of Certain Pacific Islands States and the Government of the United States of America in the treaty area (as that term is used in that treaty), or transiting to or from the treaty area exclusively for such purpose, may engage an individual who is not a citizen of the United States to fill a vacancy in a position referred to in subsection (a) (except for the master) if, after timely public notice of the vacancy, no United States citizens are readily available to fill the vacancy.
[/ul]
[/LIST]
[ul]
[LIST](2) RESTRICTIONS- [/ul] [/LIST] [ul] [LIST] [LIST](A) IN GENERAL- An individual may not be engaged under paragraph (1) unless the individual holds a valid license or certificate issued–
[/ul]
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
[ul]
[LIST]
[LIST]
[LIST](i) in accordance with the standards established by the 1995 amendments to the Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978 (STCW 95); and [/ul] [/LIST] [/LIST] [/LIST] [ul] [LIST] [LIST] [LIST](ii) by an authority that the Secretary of the department in which the Coast Guard is operating recognizes as imposing competency and training standards equivalent to or exceeding those required for a issued under chapter 71.
[/ul]
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
[ul]
[LIST]
[LIST](B) LIMITATION ON APPLICATION- Paragraph (1) applies only to engagement of an individual on a vessel that-- [/ul] [/LIST] [/LIST] [ul] [LIST] [LIST] [LIST](i) is homeported in American Samoa, Guam, or the Northern Mariana Islands; and
[/ul]
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
[ul]
[LIST]
[LIST]
[LIST](ii) has passed an annual commercial fishing vessel safety exam administered by a individual authorized to enforce this title. [/ul] [/LIST] [/LIST] [/LIST] [ul] [LIST](3) TREATMENT OF EQUIVALENT LICENSE- The Secretary of the department in which the Coast Guard is operating shall treat a license held by an individual engaged under paragraph (1) that was issued by a foreign government as meeting the requirements of section 8304 with respect to that engagement, if the Secretary determines that the standards for issuing that license are equivalent to the standards that apply under that section
[/ul]
[/LIST]

What a disgrace.

[QUOTE=mvcmyrle;42462]I feel that the manning exemption is going to be back soon, others as myself have had there job offers closed today. It may have been in the bill signed by Obama today to extend Gov Spending.[/QUOTE]

They said the situation changed…"the compliance ; a Fishing Company no longer allowed to hire until 2012"
I don’t know what’s going on…Sad day for us…

[QUOTE=capitanahn;42482]They said the situation changed…"the compliance ; a Fishing Company no longer allowed to hire until 2012"
I don’t know what’s going on…Sad day for us…[/QUOTE]

“No longer [B][I]allowed [/I][/B]to hire”?!! You got that in writing?

[QUOTE=dougpine;42485]“No longer [B][I]allowed [/I][/B]to hire”?!! You got that in writing?[/QUOTE]

Please PM your e-mail address to me, I will forward the e-mail contents…

We all heard USCG signed the “Exemption”.
What about the American who applied for the job?
Were they not available?