Worst company

can anyone guess which offshore supply company is the worst in the industry

Turdwater!!!

I would say they are all what you make it. You may get stuck on a boat with a crew you just don’t gel with but with some Tac you should be able to move to another boat. I guess what I’m saying is the crew is going make your job fun or miserable. If you have a great crew you will never know how crappy the company is.

Coordinators can ruin it pretty quickly as well

[QUOTE=blaineatk;121735]Coordinators can ruin it pretty quickly as well[/QUOTE]

Let me tell you those coordinators have a boss, too. If you have a legitimate complaint then take it up a level. I would have a talk with the manager first, preferably in his office, or at least face to face. Give him the opportunity to resolve the issue. If you are not satisfied with this then take it to the next level. Don’t do anything childish like threaten to quit, they don’t want to hear that and in most cases do not care. What they do care about is that their managers are doing the right thing. Most companies have a complaint/discrimination/equal opportunity/titty baby department. Make sure the message is clear and accurate. I have been on the receiving end of false allegations before and it is not fun. The truth always comes out eventually. Make sure you are the one that comes out on top in the long run. If you can’t stand up for yourself, no one else will either.

[QUOTE=AB Murph;121634]I would say they are all what you make it. You may get stuck on a boat with a crew you just don’t gel with but with some Tac you should be able to move to another boat. I guess what I’m saying is the crew is going make your job fun or miserable. If you have a great crew you will never know how crappy the company is.[/QUOTE]

I could not agree more. The individual does play a big role in this. It has been my experience that the “majority” of complainers really do not have much merit. There are some rare occasions where a conflict of personalities has made things unbearable. The individuals are separated and they both go on successfully in the company. “But” the majority of people that just whine, complain and bitch will never be happy no matter what. If someone says something you don’t like, just let it roll off you shoulders.

When in the hell did this industry become so thin skinned. It may not have been right but I have been yelled at by the best of them and physically assaulted on occasion. I was on a crew boat as a trainee, fresh 100 ton master license. The stern controls has a joystick you push to the right or the left to move the rudder. This particular one did not have a spring installed to return it to center. So you have to return it to center once you had the rudder where you wanted it. Well, I had the bad habit of leaving it to one side. This would keep the hydraulic pressure to the rudder, which could cause a hose to bust. I just kept forgetting. The last time I ever forgot the guy that was training me took off one of his flip flops and slapped the shit out of my hand so hard and yelled but your effing joystick to center. Scared the crap out of me, I think I may have even peed just a little, but I never forgot to center that joystick again.

ANSI approved flip flops, I assume!

None of them are perfect! You just have to find the one that you can live with.

And if you mention one of them, please don’t tell us you are still with them! Just think about what that says about you!

[QUOTE=Flyer69;121738]ANSI approved flip flops, I assume![/QUOTE]

I did not even think about that until you mentioned it. Guess it shows how long ago it was. I doubt it was ANSI approved. Just a regular cheap thong flip flop.

Very happy to say that I am an ex-employee of CROWLEY. Mariners beware and steer clear, they suck!

It’s hard to say no to all that shiny new equipment, I would like to hear more about why not to go there

C.captain?

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;121741]I did not even think about that until you mentioned it. Guess it shows how long ago it was. I doubt it was ANSI approved. Just a regular cheap thong flip flop.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a research vessel. We draw and quarter scientists for their flip-flop sins, so they have switched to fluffy bedroom slippers for the man-overboard drills (I kid you not)

We love flip flops and sneakers here!

How about Crocs?

They’ve been spotted before! None of that nonsense on deck but for sitting In the wheelhouse, what’s the difference? I have no issue with good sneakers on deck for working soft lines, painting, cleaning etc.

I’m confused, C.Captain is a reason not to work for Crowley? What?

He regularly outlines all the things that suck about Crowley. It appears they normally pay way less than normal and employ more than their share of idiots. Hiring practices with SIU are foolish and out of date to say the least.

Sounds very similar to working for Chouest. At least with their choice of employees…

I spent some time with Crowley quite a few years ago. In the 80s, it was better pay than the oil patch. Not sure about better conditions, but at least it was blue water sailing. As far as I am concerned, they fall (or fell) somewhere in the middle. I had more problems with the SIU than I did with the company. As an engineer, they pretty much gave me the parts and supplies that I needed. The work was hard, but that is what tug boating is about, no? Less pay than ship? You bet. I knew that going in. I don’t know how they are to work for now. Much of the family that was in charge when I was there are gone, as are the harbor tugs in many ports.