Give me some rants and complaints

I didn’t go to school but I got all my basic training and documents(paid out of pocket) for entry level. I’m currently knocking out a few classes at a big company based in Cutoff, LA before being assigned a vessel. I also attended an MSC job fair and recently received a second communication from them. I’m now in my mid 30’s and I have a lot of management/technical skills under my belt, so which route do you guys think would be the best method of fast-tracking my career in maritime? I’m a computer/IT junkie with experience in electrical, mechanical, HVACR and I can pay for my own classes if that’s what it takes.

You didn’t mention whether or not you are married, divorced w/ kids, or have a girl friend with future plans in her head. If the answer is yes to any of those your time off and personal life is just as important as your work life. You certainly don’t want that outfit in Cutoff, LA know you have been sniffing around MSC. Both employers present unique opportunities. Given you age you will probably see them quicker in LA.

Thanks for the advice. I don’t have any social responsibilities and I kind of had the idea that I was on the right track. I have heard some complaints about the ups and downs of the oil industry and that was my main concern.

You should be concerned. It is hard to find a steady, recession proof maritime job. They are out there though.

here is my rant…why do you think you deserve to fast track anything? everyone should have to pay their dues and work their way up and you should expect just that. lots of hard work on vessels over many years to get a seat at the top. I can’t stand people who believe just because they have other work experience that they can move up over the heads of others who have slogged their way through a depressed industry now for coming on five years.

get your sorry ass on a boat, work hard but quietly and expect to move up when you have earned the right to do so.

I also don’t care for people who when they write about themselves make it seem their shit smells like lavender and rosewater

2 Likes

Cool. Thanks

You’re wwlcome

Not at all! Those jobs are plentiful.

Trouble is people want recession-proof, well paid, easy, lots of time off, treated with respect, speedy advancement with good benefits maritime jobs.

1 Like

This is literally the only thing that has ever driven my career. Work / life balance is the key

1 Like