Working for MSRC/CGA

I was wondering if anyone has ever worked for MSRC/CGA? I am thinking about applying for CGA master responder and was wondering what the job in tales and do you travel alot. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using gCaptain

[QUOTE=Captain Kirk;59100]I was wondering if anyone has ever worked for MSRC/CGA? I am thinking about applying for CGA master responder and was wondering what the job in tales and do you travel alot. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using gCaptain[/QUOTE]

What is that?

Google is your friend…

You will be second fiddle to the senior guy, standing by, polishing, standing by,paperwork, standing by, painting, standing by, maintenance, standing by, RUNNING off with a crew of misfits from the unemployment hall to actually do a spill. then standing by, then a bunch of other employees from the other boats will show up and you will all have a drill to show the government how good you are at doing spill cleanup.

From a friends point of view, he is gone about 30 days a year/ the rest is spent at the dock, doing the above. And you must have a 1600 ton Ocean to get the job too.

[QUOTE=cappy208;59120]. And you must have a 1600 ton Ocean to get the job too.[/QUOTE]

Not always. They often ask for it but there are several boats with lower licenses onboard. The one at Staten Island comes to mind, they just hired a 100ton license.

I was told they are only looking for a 100ton license, and they are paying alright. But if there is no spill you don’t make real good money. Has anyone work for them before?

Sent from my iPhone using gCaptain

I have never worked for them but I know a couple that do or did. Pay is OK not great, unless as you stated there is a call out. But they are good with training and it seems that the benefits are OK too. One issue that comes up is sea time, or rather the lack of it. The ships do a few days training every month and that is often the only seatime you get. This makes it hard to advance your license. On the other hand you get plenty of study time. You [B]must[/B] to live close to the ship, 20 minutes I think. It is basically a 9-5 job for much of the time, and the term Ship Manager rather than Captain say a lot.

I guess the question is would I work for them? and the answer is yes if there was an opening near enough for me.

Some ships are rotational and some are daywork. The day boats you are limited to living less than 60 miles away. You can glean all that from the website. I’ve heard that you can still go home at night if you live close enough on a rotational ship but that was 2nd or 3rd hand so take it for what it is worth.