Anyone who has worked for MSRC oil spill company

Im looking into working as a mate with MSRC and was looking for some company info, such as turnover, liveaboard info, Captain positions that come up? and any other relevant info would be a big help. I know the pay is not the best but then you dont have to go to sea either which has some value at least to me. Would love to hear comments

came close to working for them twice…once when Dyn had the crewing contract and then when Matson had it…both times it was the same issue of low wages, bad benifits, and having to be “tethered” to the vessel 24/7…IMHO neither Dyn or Matson had a clue as to how to manage these vessels…as a result they had a high turnover and the one vessel I was last scheduled to work on was in bad condition…I now understand that MSRC now manages their own vessels…the pay and benefits are rumored to have improved…understand that the majority of their vessels are still day work and “on call” 24/7…believe there is at least one member of this forum who is employed with them…maybe he will respond with updated particulars…imagine they may require reliefs for their vessels in the gulf if this spill in the gulf drags on??

1 Like

Frank, shot you a PM…

The pay is low, but not the lowest. If you go on a spill, your pay will pretty much double while on a spill. Most boats are a “day” boats where you get to go home every night. You are tied to the pager though. Some boats will let you live aboard some will not. It is usually up to the individual Capt. MSRC does control the boats now and they are not afraid to spend money to keep them maintained. I have been working on one of the rotational boats for over 18 months and enjoy working for the company. The benefits are exceptional. I hope that helps. Feel free to contact me via PM if you would like.

2 Likes

[QUOTE=smetshouse;31478]

I have been working on one of the rotational boats for over 18 months and enjoy working for the company. [/QUOTE]

They like SH a lot, they even gave him his own assistant engineer , to do with as he pleases…sheesh!

[QUOTE=Shellback;31482]They like SH a lot, they even gave him his own assistant engineer , to do with as he pleases…sheesh![/QUOTE]

Hahahaha laughing all the way to the bilge!

HI Everyone

Thanks for all the feedback, I think it might be a good fit except for the fact that you are underway very little and most of your time is doing deck maintenace which can be a bit boring. It does seem like pay has come up a bit about 28.00 an hour. really wanted to hear about the live aboard options, I have been told it is possible so that would help. Mates are working on deck 4 out of 5 days with maintenace tasks. I also heard that benifits are pretty good.

I agree with the previous post previously Dynmarine they were with metson and had Big contract indifferences parted ways. 24/7 on call the boat no compensation for holding a pager and a cell phone. Phone drills all the time report back to ship in 2 hours and also may have overnight drills to. Hard to half a personnel life when worrying about your pager every 5 minutes. Low wages below martime standards they did raise the wages but not to be considered competitive. Great medical plan. Ships are on a pm systems having weekly checks on maintence on all gear running cargo. Not enough crew on Big boats to handle the job underway no Cook no messman bring your own meals Everyday. Living aboard not permitted lucky if they let you. But hey if i was working 2 weeks on 2 weeks off i would love this company because your making a high day rate and making you base monthly pay in 2weeks.

1 Like

I just got finished with a relief hitch working the GOM spill. I would have to say I was extremely well treated. Now the work was temp in nature, and that was fine with me. I did work in the past on the responder boats for a short time, back when it was Metson manned. I would have to agree to all the above post if your are talking about a permanment post. But as for temp work on the oil spill, it would be extremely hard to beat MSRC for a company to work for.

Hope that helps
Ocean31

[QUOTE=Ocean31;37997] But as for temp work on the oil spill, it would be extremely hard to beat MSRC for a company to work for.
Hope that helps
Ocean31[/QUOTE]

Thank you for new info. How can we apply for the temp job?

Sorry, about the long reply time. I have been without internet access. To my best knowledge, the best way to apply to MSRC is to bypass the HR dept (they are so swamped most of the applicatons are being lost), you should find the crew/vessel coordinaters for the gulf/south region, and for the east coast region. Then call the coord, direct. Most times if you can get a email address, just send a email with your resume attached, and follow up a few days later with a phone call.

The last word I had, was they had plenty of Mates and AB. I do not know about Capts and enginners.

Hope above helps.

Ocean31

Sorry, about the long reply time. I have been without internet access. To my best knowledge, the best way to apply to MSRC is to bypass the HR dept (they are so swamped most of the applicatons are being lost), you should find the crew/vessel coordinaters for the gulf/south region, and for the east coast region. Then call the coord, direct. Most times if you can get a email address, just send a email with your resume attached, and follow up a few days later with a phone call.

The last word I had, was they had plenty of Mates and AB. I do not know about Capts and enginners.

Hope above helps.

Ocean31

MSRC is the lowest paying company I’ve ever worked (filled in) for. Net of $90 p/day which is what I was getting in 1979 as AB on a supply boat. Crew’s are on 2 hr call outs over the weekends, augment crew gets a whopping 4 hrs pay p/weekend day to remain w/in 2 hrs. Some captains try to get the augments to do shipboard work on the weekends (like the Richmond boat), but don’t do it. Making Simple Really Complicated (MSRC) is what we call it. They’re “Dock Queens”, maybe u/w a day or two p/month, 8 hr days (0630-1500). If you’re just looking for a paycheck or tip money, all good but for a career, not my cup o’joe

3 Likes