Work on vessels with Caribbean trade

Howdy! I am a new member of this forum and I have a question: is it hard to find a job on merchant vessels which trading area is Caribbeans/US/Gulf of Mexico? Sailing on chemical tankers with only EURO trade gets me very tired of routine euro-ports. My position now is second officer and I am from Latvia. Do I need to have some USCG sertificate or some other sertificates to sail in the above mentioned area? Can you advice me some US or other shipping companies where I can try my chanses with sending my application/cv?

I believe that Crowley has some flagged out RO/ROs. I also know that there are a lot of reefer vessels trading between the US and central America. I don’t know how they are crewed, though.

You will need USCG certs if you want to work on a US flagged ship. You can’t get those unless you are a citizen. Otherwise you can work on other flags and still enter US ports as part of an international route. There are a few US companies that operate foreign flag ships but I can’t really think of any on the routes you are looking for.
Good luck.

There are no US flag carriers that I am aware of currently serving the Caribbean and Central America. If you have a license and willing to work for the adventure go to the Miami River and ask around. On the other hand for a more legitimate job Blue Ocean Shipping in Miami may be able to tell you who is currently working that area. There are container ships, roros and a few bulkers making regular runs. The pay won’t be the best in the world but the weather is nice !
I have a lot of fond memories of sailing the Caribbean, Central and South America back when life wasn’t all about the money you made.
Good luck !

I just came across Tropical Shipping out of West Palm Beach FL. They have 15 ships doing exactly what you want. I know nothing about them but it can’t hurt to give them a shout. I am thinking about it myself.

[QUOTE=CaptAndrew;42074]I just came across Tropical Shipping out of West Palm Beach FL. They have 15 ships doing exactly what you want. I know nothing about them but it can’t hurt to give them a shout. I am thinking about it myself.[/QUOTE]

If you do get an offer from Tropical or SeaBoard Marine better plan to suck it up regarding the pay…probably only 20 to 30% of what is standard in the US or Europe, but suprisingly some not too old little self sustaining feeder sized ships. Once upon a time, I thougth the same thing “could be a nice adventure” but I just could not affort to take the pay hit.