US citizen with foreing STCW 3 II, carrer options in the US?

Good evening to all from belgium,
Thanks for your Time,
[U]
Question:[/U] Are my belgium STCW certificates recognized in the US, can I work for a US shipping company and what are the steps to take, should i countact a union, a shipping company or a us academy.
Can I work on a US navy or cost guard ship?
Thank you.

[U]Personel info: [/U]
I am a US citizen from San diego, I will graduate in summer 2015 in marine ingeneering for the Belgium maritime academy with a STCW 3 II. I have recently been informed I can not live in the US if I work for a belgium company because of taxe reasons.

[QUOTE=MORGAN;158762]I am a US citizen from San diego, [B]I will graduate in summer 2015 in marine ingeneering for the Belgium maritime academy[/B][/QUOTE]

first try "I will graduate in the summer of 2015 with a degree in marine [B]engineering[/B] from the Belgium Maritime Academy’

learning how to write an English sentence which is properly spelled and worded will do you wonders in your adopted country. Don’t you have to show proficiency in English to get US citizenship anyway?

regarding everything else you are asking…solly but I done rite engrish two gud to anser ewe

The USCG will not accept your foreign education or foreign STCW certificates toward a US license (CoC).

You may eventually be able to get a US CEC if you meet the right requirements.

As a US citizen, you are required to pay US income tax on your earnings regardless of the flag of the ship you sail on, or wherever you may live. There may be partial exceptions on the first $95,000 of foreign earned income under certain circumstances if you stay out of the US for 330 days per year.

US Navy and Coast Guard ships are only manned by military personnel.

You cannot work on an American ship with foreign credentials.

You will have to redo all your STCW training in an American school for the USCG to count it and take the USCG test. They will also not recognize your academy time so the best thing would be to sail foreign until you are ready to apply for 2nd engineer (1st assistant) and then take all your American classes and test with the USCG. Otherwise you would need to start as a wiper.

[QUOTE=MORGAN;158762]Good evening to all from belgium,
Thanks for your Time,[/QUOTE]

You are not going to get help from the goon squad’s on this forum. Contact a government agency and ask them.

nobody his given him false information here. It is what it is.

[QUOTE=z-drive;158811]nobody his given him false information here. It is what it is.[/QUOTE]

That’s fine but c.captain could give him a break and not attack him on the writing. His writing errors may be dyslexia.

[QUOTE=z-drive;158811]nobody his given him false information here. It is what it is.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they have. Quite a bit of it. The best advice came from a Norwegian, to contact a government agency (like the one I work for).

The U.S. Coast Guard does not approve training outside of the United States. That doesn’t mean we won’t accept it. We [I][B][U]may[/U][/B][/I]. It would require a case by case review of his qualifications, and the particulars of the foreign training. The largest issue to date has been that it takes 7 years residency to obtain U.S. citizenship, and any newly naturalized citizen probably obtained their original credentials through grandfathering rather than training thtat has been approved as meeting STCW. That means there is nothing for us to review and accepty, thus having to take U.S. courses. In this case, he is getting his endorsements after STCW implementation.

I am confused by the reference to STCE “3 II.” STCW Section III/2 is Chief Engineer. Academies typically lead to OICEW (III/1). But again, a case by case determination.

I have seen a lot worse writing on here from natural born U.S. citizens… Ever read a few of my typo laden posts before I go back and clean them up?

[QUOTE=Kraken;158815]That’s fine but c.captain could give him a break and not attack him on the writing. His writing errors may be dyslexia.[/QUOTE]

Nobody gets a break from me. I practice equal opportunity wielding the pointy stick. All are subject to its point. Would you like one?

Oh for Christ’s sake ! You had been showing such admirable restraint.

Why post something like that happy horseshit, when you have the knowledge, experience, and ability to post something interesting and insightful that we would all like to read and discuss ?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;158918]Oh for Christ’s sake ! You had been showing such admirable restraint.

Why post something like that happy horseshit, when you have the knowledge, experience, and ability to post something interesting and insightful that we would all like to read and discuss ?[/QUOTE]

awe come on…can’t you let a guy just have one little nip every now and again?

besides didn’t hurt no one (cept the OP and he’s just a boy who’s too young to drink)

[QUOTE=Kraken;158810]You are not going to get help from the goon squad’s on this forum. Contact a government agency and ask them.[/QUOTE]

You posted this an hour after I rather thoroughly and politely answered all of his questions.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;158926]You posted this an hour after I rather thoroughly and politely answered all of his questions.[/QUOTE]

And am sorry, just sick and tired of the negative tone every time someone new makes a tread on the forum.

If he apply for a Bahamas CoC endorsement he could work for Royal Caribbean Cruises. It’s not a US CoC but at least he could work out from a American port.

After he gets a CoC somewhere else and sails on it for at least 360 days, I believe that he can get a US CeC. He is a US citizen after all.

Given that he will not need an OCS waiver (because he is a US citizen) he can probably get a job on a foreign flag vessel working in the Gulf.

The most useful advice that anyone can give him is to: hire a US license consultant.(search for the threads here that mention several license consultants).

The EU doesn’t let Us citizens work in their waters without jumping through hoops and showing your “Labour” party card. ( Notice the sophistication of the pompous extra English letter.) I hate pompous Brits and Dutch. The sun never set on the British empire now they are down to one time zone. Belgium doesn’t bring out the hate like other EU countries do, as you do make Stella Artois.

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;159036]The sun never set on the British empire now they are down to one time zone.[/QUOTE]

Actually British territories are in nine time zones, so the sun never sets on Britain :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;159036]The EU doesn’t let Us citizens work in their waters without jumping through hoops and showing your “Labour” party card.[/QUOTE]

Nonsense. There are many American citizens working on foreign flag commercial vessels in Europe and all over the world. The “hoops” are as simple as signing on or, in the case of officers, acquiring a Certificate of equivalent Competence (CeC) based on the applicant’s underlying certificate. This normally requires only filling out an application and paying the fees. It is often possible to start work as soon as the application is received, depending on flag state rules.

The “labour party card” thing is another figment of your imagination and one of the reasons Americans are often seen as ignorant of the way the rest of the world works.

I’m sure you folks count Ascension Island, Diego, Garcia and some other rocks in godforsaken ends of the Ocean as British empire property
. Alaska has more land than all your glorious empire. I’ve been to those stellar travel destinations.

I was in St Croix one time when some smart mouth captain from England was dissing the USA. A big Texan picked the weasel up and bounced his Nancy boy ass off the wall. Yes we are ignorant of the ways of the world, we threw out you trash back in 1776.

Who on God’s green earth are you talking to? No one from England has posted in this tread.

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;159062]I’m sure you folks count Ascension Island, Diego, Garcia and some other rocks in godforsaken ends of the Ocean as British empire property
. Alaska has more land than all your glorious empire. I’ve been to those stellar travel destinations.

I was in St Croix one time when some smart mouth captain from England was dissing the USA. A big Texan picked the weasel up and bounced his Nancy boy ass off the wall. Yes we are ignorant of the ways of the world, we threw out you trash back in 1776.[/QUOTE]

Stay classy!

And violence is the solution for simpletons who can’t make a intelligent conversation.