Who's ready for a new seafaring film?

tis the season

//youtu.be/b_n2CAhgPiA

but other than more bloated CGI effects will it be worth a shit? lately the seafaring fare has been weak tea

So this is about the Essex?
I remember years ago reading a book on the essex…don’t recall the author, but it was an awesome book…couldn’t put it down.

by Nathaniel Philbrick…In the heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex. This true story about the Essex is suuposed to have informed Meliville for aspects of Moby Dick. Agree with you, it was a great book about survival in a small boat.

Agree with c.captain’s original post here. Just watching the trailer, the book was far better.

I stopped going to boat movies a while ago. Nearly all of them involve the untimely deaths of caracters and I don’t see the need to remind my wife of some of the hazards of the job. We knew how Titanic was going to end but were disappointed by Message in a Bottle, we skipped the Perfect Storm and haven’t gone to a boat movie since.

Generally speaking, most (if not all) maritime-related movies of the modern era seem to be pretty dreadful and are really just a good way of ruining some fine books. Philbrick’s book about the Essex is among them, so I’m not surprised.

When “Das Boot” director Wolfgang Petersen was tapped for “Perfect Storm” I had high hopes. Boy, was that ever a disappointment.

The 2012 Danish film “A Hijacking” would be a very notable exception to this trend.

There is this from Disney, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQmllwTKtqU Not looking too much like the engine room on a T2 (or any tanker, to be fair), but hell, other than a few of us, it doesn’t matter… .

[QUOTE=Tugboater203;173200]I stopped going to boat movies a while ago. Nearly all of them involve the untimely deaths of caracters and I don’t see the need to remind my wife of some of the hazards of the job. We knew how Titanic was going to end but were disappointed by Message in a Bottle, we skipped the Perfect Storm and haven’t gone to a boat movie since.[/QUOTE]

Then get the DVD’s of Captain Ron and Pirates of the Caribbean. Those are sure to get the lady laughing and admiring the stud muffin mariner she’s married to.

Which leads me to another politically incorrect question. Johnny Depp plays a gay pirate - so why does that hit such a hot button with the ladies?

Women are still a mystery to me.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;173391]Then get the DVD’s of Captain Ron and Pirates of the Caribbean. Those are sure to get the lady laughing and admiring the stud muffin mariner she’s married to.

Which leads me to another politically incorrect question. Johnny Depp plays a gay pirate - so why does that hit such a hot button with the ladies?

Women are still a mystery to me.[/QUOTE]

Capt Jack Sparrow does come off a bit flamboyant…however it’s obvious he prefers the company of women.
but then again the old sayings ‘it aint gay if you’re underway’ and ‘any port in a storm’ probably were put to practice in that time period.

The traditions of the Royal Navy are rum, sodomy and the lash. -Churchill

you really are a KPee’r…aren’t you son?

and still not Churchill’s best which was…

MP Bessie Braddock: “Winston, you are drunk, and what’s more you are disgustingly drunk.”

Churchill: “My dear, you are ugly, and what’s more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly.”

DAMNED! How I wished they still made men like that today…

Master and Commander ? Anybody?

Off on Vacation. What have I missed? Did all the boat company’s close? Did day rates go up for AB’s to $475 a day?

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;173402]Master and Commander ? Anybody?

Off on Vacation. What have I missed? Did all the boat company’s close? Did day rates go up for AB’s to $475 a day?[/QUOTE]

I suspect the days of ABs and QMEDs making almost five bills a day are gone for a while…

yep, the master/commander fliks are still the best way to go. They were pretty authentic & I didn’t realize johnny Doop was a gay sailor though.

[QUOTE=c.captain;173398]you really are a KPee’r…aren’t you son?

and still not Churchill’s best which was…

DAMNED! How I wished they still made men like that today…[/QUOTE]

The UK didn’t. As soon as the war was over, they kicked that bloated shitheel out on his ass.

I’m excited for this Whalesship Essex movie. I’m starting on the book though.