Maritime industry in film, print and TV?

Some rather unfortunate events have occurred in my life that I won’t trouble you all with but suffice it to say, I have now found myself free to pursue a long desired career at sea. I’ve been on this site for quite some time and in a effort to avoid any pointed sticks being brandished in my direction, I have taken the advice so readily dispensed here and have acquainted myself with and have liberally used the “search” button at the upper right of the screen.

I do have a question for you however that I hope you all will find worthy of my first post. I have had several different types of jobs on my way here, each with their own list of popular culture interpretations in movies, books and TV. For instance, when I was a paramedic, if someone showed up to the station having never seen “Mother, Jugs and Speed” or “Bringing Out the Dead”, they would have been mercilessly jabbed with that industry’s version of the pointy stick shortly before being forced to watch all the standards in succession and given a reading list to take home.

What would each of you say are the best (or worst) depictions of the maritime industry in film or print?

Don’t worry, I already have a copy of the Merchant Seaman’s Manual. I’m not looking for facts or advice, so much as entertainment and depictions of the industry that you all hold near and dear, or with great loathing.

Thank you all kindly. I have really appreciated all the wisdom you all share so freely here and have found it greatly helpful on my path to this career. I’ll let you know how it goes.

once upon a time in them old timey daze, Miller had a series of commercials showing working class stiffs doing interesting jobs which included log bronc’ng at a sawmill and harbor assist work on a tug. They were great and I remember those fondly even today. “One mistake and you have 10000 tons of scrap metal on your hands”

Went to the Ewetoobs and found this one…

//youtu.be/Vj-lYM5GCQg

Anybody else remember them?

oh Holy Christ! lookey what I just found!

//youtu.be/NumtSfuGkaI

[video]<iframe width=“512” height=“288” src=“http://www.hulu.com/embed.html?eid=emw9qq86vis9nflnl9fycw” frameborder=“0” scrolling=“no” webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]

The Long Voyage Home

Worst maritime movie ever: Speed 2

Closely followed by Poseidon (2006)

The movie “Lake Boat” is for a good laugh. It kind of shows how life is working with the SIU.

If you fancy yourself as a boat delivery captain - Captain Ron would be a good model.

Action on the North Atlantic

//youtu.be/pEyF80FFpTw

I can’t believe none of you remember this one (of course, you’d have to be old enough). :stuck_out_tongue:

This commercial came out in the early days of Gulf’s presence in Bantry Bay/Whiddy Island, Ireland.

My dad and I loved this one, and I think my interest in the sea was piqued. The music was by the Clancy Brothers.

Sadly, the French tanker Betelgeuse exploded at this terminal several years later, killing 50, and all but ending operations at this terminal.There is an amazing video of the salvage operation spearheaded by SMIT somewhere on You tube, too.

[QUOTE=captaint76;89717]Closely followed by Poseidon (2006)[/QUOTE]

The people who made that awful remake should be shot, run over with a bulldozer, and shot again. The one and only 1973 Poseidon Adventure had both enough camp and gravitas for a millennium. How dare they try to best that with cheap CGI graphics!

//youtu.be/InBXu-iY7cw

And of course, this came out in '78, I joined in '79, take a wild guess how much I heard this one? Every EM club, every disco, every dive bar on Hampton Blvd…:rolleyes:

ITN - That is sooooooo gay.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. (I’m supposed to say that, aren’t I ?)

I was told that the Dilbert comic strip accurately portrays how things go in the office.

[QUOTE=catherder;89750]And of course, this came out in '78, I joined in '79, take a wild guess how much I heard this one? Every EM club, every disco, every dive bar on Hampton Blvd…:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

You are so correct catherder - Gawd I got to hate that fuck’en piece of ~

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;89843]ITN - That is sooooooo gay.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. (I’m supposed to say that, aren’t I ?)[/QUOTE]

Hell no, we can say anything we want to - screw’em (Oh, what a poor choice of word) if someone takes umbrage.

Shoot, I like all maritime related movies from “On the Waterfront” to the kind of hunky1958 movie “The Deck Ran Red” to my very favorite movie "DasBoot."
I’m easy to please

The famous German 1912 silent film about the sinking of the RMS Titanic. Go to 19:06 …

//youtu.be/YwrMn_tnoiM

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;89920]to the kind of hunky1958 movie “The Decks Ran Red”[/QUOTE]

a horrible but wonder classic filmed almost entirely on a real genuine WWII Libertyship!

//youtu.be/Ij2-HVmwoNI

if only it wasn’t such a godawful movie to watch

Hands down, the best depiction of the maritime industry in movie format, S.S Martha. It is a Danish film from the late 1960’s. I have a rip of it but it is in Danish and I am still trying to purchase a copy with English subtitles.

Here is a link to the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Prftd2Fu8

And one of my favorite scenes: