Where did the term "hooked up" (meaning full throttle) come from?

Looking forward to responses.

Thanks!!

IIRC, the entire statement was Hooked up and Hard Over. I have heard this for years and never knew where it came from so I am looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

I always thought that maybe it came from the days of towing on the Hawser. Part of me misses the days of towing on 1,600 feet of sea hawser but I do not miss pulling that bitch in the winter.

It came from the days of steam, where the throttle was hooked up in the max power setting.

On ships a similar term was full throttle, which was max power without changing the burners in the boilers. Also the equivalent of harbor sea speed.

[QUOTE=Pilot;124165]It came from the days of steam, where the throttle was hooked up in the max power setting.[/QUOTE]

But how was a throttle ever “hooked”?

//youtu.be/T_rrLaPyrS4

Most were a valve wheel and rotation/direction was a lever that shifted the cam

Come on c.captain, I figured that if anyone could find the origin of this term it would be you. So get off your butt and start searching.

[QUOTE=Tugs;124172]Come on c.captain, I figured that if anyone could find the origin of this term it would be you. So get off your butt and start searching.[/QUOTE]

was that “Hookered Up” you ask?

that’s an easy one!

no clue on “Hooked Up” tho…

I know the old throttle handles on tugs sometimes worked with a catch and detents. You had to pull in the catch to move the handle but I’ve never seen no “hooks” ever before.

Hey C.Capt. Very cool video couple posts up.

Did OSHA ever venture in the ER of Streamships? No hearing protection and plenty of pinch points to break various body parts on.

Too bad steam is gone…

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;124180]Hey C.Capt. Very cool video couple posts up.

Too bad steam is gone…[/QUOTE]

Looking at it again, I realize that it is two different vessels in the same video. One smaller and one larger. The smaller vessel has the cam shift levers which I already mentioned but the larger has the very large wheel which appears to be power actuated. You can actually see the arm that shifts the cam move when the wheel is spinning.

and you are certainly correct about the passing of steam…especially reciprocating steam engines. Steel, brass and iron poetry in motion!

[QUOTE=c.captain;124182]and you are certainly correct about the passing of steam…especially reciprocating steam engines. Steel, brass and iron poetry in motion![/QUOTE]

Speaking of old steamers, the S/S St. Mary’s Challenger is done as of today. My friend is the 3rd A/E and at 13:45 EST the S/S St. Mary’s Challenger was finished with engines for good. The old Skinner uniflow will be sent to the scrap yard or a museum and the ship hacked up and notched for its newly purchased tug.

Sad day in Great Lakes Shipping

And at least we still have the coal fired steamer the S/S Badger for a little while longer

[QUOTE=Pilot;124165]It came from the days of steam, where the throttle was hooked up in the max power setting.

On ships a similar term was full throttle, which was max power without changing the burners in the boilers. Also the equivalent of harbor sea speed.[/QUOTE]

The days of steam include a lot of tomorrows … there are still a few steam turbines being built for ship propulsion. And, having spent more than a few years at the throttle of a steamboat I can honestly say that in all that time I never heard the term “hooked up” with reference to anything but a 3rd engineer or cadet’s run ashore.

Full throttle means just that, the throttle is wide open. If you open it wide with only half the burners in then you will be dead in the water in pretty short order … harbor or at sea. If you are on an oldie with manual nozzles then you could open the throttle fully with only a couple of nozzles open and run at less than full power but that’s a matter of reducing losses from reducing if you know what I mean …

I think the term is either a regional coastal tug thing or something cooked up by the brown-water crowd.

I just discovered the term may have come from the automotive world and the Stanley Steamer: http://www.stanleymotorcarriage.com/SteamEngine/EngineHookUpVideo.htm

I know! The old Graham boats I used to run had cable throttles. As some of you know, over the years cables can stretch and it can be difficult to force those throttles down to the dash for extra RPM’s. A solution that was created was to put metal hooks screwed to the dash. Once you put the throttles down, you would just hook the handles and viola! No longer would you have to worry about those pesky RPM’s slipping away!

Note: not a strictly legal mod

[QUOTE=justaboatdriver;124199]I know! The old Graham boats I used to run had cable throttles. As some of you know, over the years cables can stretch and it can be difficult to force those throttles down to the dash for extra RPM’s. A solution that was created was to put metal hooks screwed to the dash. Once you put the throttles down, you would just hook the handles and viola! No longer would you have to worry about those pesky RPM’s slipping away!

Note: not a strictly legal mod[/QUOTE]

dats too fancy for the GoM…why not just put a big ole cinder block on em?

[QUOTE=justaboatdriver;124199]I know! The old Graham boats I used to run had cable throttles. As some of you know, over the years cables can stretch and it can be difficult to force those throttles down to the dash for extra RPM’s. A solution that was created was to put metal hooks screwed to the dash. Once you put the throttles down, you would just hook the handles and viola! No longer would you have to worry about those pesky RPM’s slipping away!

Well that’s the only damn explanation I’ve heard on here that makes any sense at all. I’d say that about does it. Anyone care to raise the bet on this one?

Rung up? How about that? Bunch or ringadings on a bell boat?

“Hooked up…hard over…in the notch…with the push gear up”… friend of mine used that saying to describe the first night home off the boat with his old lady… use your imagination, I thought it was funny.

[QUOTE=GLMASailor;124185]Speaking of old steamers, the S/S St. Mary’s Challenger is done as of today. My friend is the 3rd A/E and at 13:45 EST the S/S St. Mary’s Challenger was finished with engines for good. The old Skinner uniflow will be sent to the scrap yard or a museum and the ship hacked up and notched for its newly purchased tug.

Sad day in Great Lakes Shipping

[/QUOTE]

That is news as well as sad. I’ll have to break out my copy of “Still Steamin’” tonight in her memory.

• Updated - - -

I was going to relate a similar memory.

On the old “Pinners Point” some thirty years ago, we had the exact thing as you describe in our wheelhouse. One of the captains also kept a small piece of wood that he used to jam under the window ledge across the top of the throttle.

He had written on this piece of wood in magic marker; “One Bell Throttle Indicator”

• Updated - - -

I was going to relate a similar memory.

On the old “Pinners Point” some thirty years ago, we had the exact thing as you describe in our wheelhouse. One of the captains also kept a small piece of wood that he used to jam under the window ledge across the top of the throttle.

He had written on this piece of wood in magic marker; “One Bell Throttle Indicator”

[QUOTE=c.captain;124200]why not just put a bog ole cinder block on em?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess that is easier than just taking a couple turns on the cable tension adjustment turnbuckle or the lever friction adjustment.

Sub chapter L (Stands for Louisiana) high five!

lotflmao!!!

God, I remember that. We had a screw eye in the dash between the throttle handles. Once you pushed the throttles all the way down you would slide a sawed off broom stick over the handles and through the eye. Great system until you needed to slow down for some one in the dark. I still think about it when I’m playing with my Z Drives. Never imagined the stuff we have now. I was tickled shitless when I went on my first boat with air throttles and inside stern controls.