Where Did Your Username Come From?

I saw a thread like this on another (totally unrelated) forum and it was interesting to see where people got their names from. Some were fairly obvious, others had cool back stories. There are some pretty interesting ones here on gCaptain, and we all know sailors like to tell stories so lets hear them!

I guess I oughta kick it off. Mine comes from an old sea shanty called “Paddy West”. Paddy was an old sailor who ran a makeshift “school of seamanship” out of his house with his wife to prepare young lads for a tough but lucrative life at sea. The “schooling” consisted of things like walking around a table with a bull’s horn on it so you could say you’d been “'round the horn” and stepping back and forth over a piece of line on the deck so that you could say you’d “crossed the line” [the equator]. One of the lyrics is “Starboard is where the ship she points, the right is called the stern, so look ye aft to your starboard port and there you’ll find north west!”

The Clancy Brothers have probably been the most notable recent performers of the song and this is their version of it:

//youtu.be/XkJOh6wOa7g

Nice~
To think, I thought your real name was Paddy. :smiley:
As you posted, most names are obvious but there are a few I’m curious about.
Come-on, forum members, jump on this.

I think that mine is pretty obvious. Perhaps too obvious.

I was born Alfredo but was given hell as a child for that name so I began telling people my name was Albert. This got confusing because my family called me Alfredo and my friends called me Albert. I am also dyslexic and couldn’t spell either name until the 4th grade.

When I got older I just started going by Al but when I post under that name I get flooded by thousands of retards who refuse to leave me alone. To save myself the aggregation I chose to go by my childhood name Albert, on the web, and I picked the dyslexic spelling of my last name to further confuse the retard masses.

Well my name is Jeff and, when I first joined gCaptain I was a chief mate.

Because it’s easy for my employer to figure me out I need to retain plausible deniability so I didn’t “upgrade” my name to captain. I also share the password of this account with a couple of close friends so if you don"t like something I’ve said then you can blame them!

I was watching a “ewe-toob” video of an old engine order telegraph in action on a bridge and I noticed a comment from an account name suspiciously similar to a certain gCaptain account. Hmmmm…

Mine is pretty self explanatory.

[QUOTE=albertpachino;107542]I was born Alfredo but was given hell as a child for that name so I began telling people my name was Albert. This got confusing because my family called me Alfredo and my friends called me Albert. I am also dyslexic and couldn’t spell either name until the 4th grade.

When I got older I just started going by Al but when I post under that name I get flooded by thousands of retards who refuse to leave me alone. To save myself the aggregation I chose to go by my childhood name Albert, on the web, and I picked the dyslexic spelling of my last name to further confuse the retard masses.[/QUOTE]

Te salut, Don Alfredo ~

I’m curios about the user names “Bloodyshitcakes” and “Yeasty McFlapps”.
Mine I believe self explanatory.

A punk band that I like and the number 69…

I thought of changing mine to <Clean White Boiler Suit> but that’s too long and seems to have been all ready spoken for.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;107550]I was watching a “ewe-toob” video of an old engine order telegraph in action on a bridge and I noticed a comment from an account name suspiciously similar to a certain gCaptain account. Hmmmm…[/QUOTE]
Let me take a WAG, Yeasty McFlapps?

Well, let’s see, I am a 4th Generation N.Y. Tug Boater. Even though I did not spend all of my time on Tugs my heart was always there and that’s what I was sailing on when I had to retire.

2010 was a tough year for me as that’s when my last license expired. I did renew it for Continuity but I never see myself sailing on it again.

[QUOTE=Tugs;107567]Well, let’s see, I am a 4th Generation N.Y. Tug Boater. Even though I did not spend all of my time on Tugs my heart was always there and that’s what I was sailing on when I had to retire.

2010 was a tough year for me as that’s when my last license expired. I did renew it for Continuity but I never see myself sailing on it again.[/QUOTE]

That’s a nice post, Tugs.
I knew when the time arrived to say good bye forever. It wasn’t easy but the life, the work, the crew, the shipping companies (hardly any remained), were fading faster than a frightened deer with a mountain lion on the chase. It was over. I did not renew my License yet my last License is framed and on my office wall. I have great memories, perhaps this is what drives my interest on the forum although even this seems to be fading.

A slang term for those working on dredges. Created my account when I was working on Trailing Suction Hopper Dredges.

When I was active duty Navy I was a member of the Volunteer Fire Department. The Chief was Fire 3, The trucks were Engine 3, Ladder 3 and so on… I ran a tow truck part time and the Chief started calling me Wrecker 3 so it has stuck.

I work the senior watch on a tugboat throwing levers around and my nickname is Bubba, the nickname came from a Vietnam Vet that was my boss at a book bindery I worked at when I first joined the work force.

Years ago, an AB with a tag machine labled everyone’s hard hats going into the shipyard. Mine was “cheef injunear”. The CM never noticed until a week later that he had a tag on the back of his hat that said “gay pride”.

I can’t remember, might have been alcohol involved… Probably should be “Black Smoke-White Water”.

I sailed deep sea from the time I graduated from a Maritime Academy (not K.P.), I hold a Unlimited Master License. There was a time that I sailed on Tugs also but I will always miss my days of sailing as I now work shore side.