What's New in the Tug and Barge World?

The 2020 built Orkney based tug THOR OF SCAPA seen here at the Sutors of Cromarty assisting the berthing of the heavy lift ship FAN ZHOU 10 at Port of Nigg. The THOR OF SCAPA & THOR OF ODIN are Robert Allan designed RASX3200 tugs built in Turkey by SANMAR
Photo: David Meek (c)

1 Like

Coming to a Gulf near you:

Seen last Wednesday at Urk, the COASTAL CHALLENGER mobilizing and preparing for crossing the Atlantic to her new employment in the Gulf of Mexico.
Photo: Lourens Visser www.navcom.org (c)

The 34 metre Dutch flagged tug NORNE (2011/422 gt) as spotted in USA waters is working with the cable laying vessel CABLE ENTERPRISE . They visited Falmouth UK several times in recent months before making the transAtlantic voyage. They left Providence Rhode Island on October 29 and on October 31 were working close to Nantucket on the US east coast.
Photo: Graeme Ewens ©

PS> Both vessels are still working off Nantucket:

All those good “high paying” offshore wind jobs are going to foreigners.

2 Likes

How are they allowed to work in US waters? And doesn’t this happen in the GOM but is happening in the Northeast.

This cable enterprise vessel was in so cal doing some work for the Exxon platforms back around 2014-15. I remember they had a Harley tug towing them around and standing by as their support vessel the whole time they were here. With that being said I would assume they will have an american tug tending them while they are working on the east coast.

Not really.

Just two tugs to run anchors for them. The same Dutch tug, and an American tug, Nicole Foss.

When this short job is completed the Dutch tug Norne will tow the barge to the next assignment and stay with her there too. (Wherever in the world that may be)

If the job is under 30 days, I wouldn’t have a problem with that.

If it’s over 30 days, the Dutch tug should sit at the dock while American tugs tend the lay barge off the US Coast. When the job is over, the Dutch tug can tow the lay barge foreign.

That’s what the Canadians would require. Probably the Mexicans too. No reason the US should tolerate foreign vessels with foreign crew working in US waters.

Same with the lay barge. If it’s going to work in US waters over 30 days, reflag US and phase in American crew.

Otherwise suspend all offshore wind permits until only US vessels and crew are on the job.

I presume you support the same for any US-flag tug or OSV working in foreign waters?

I worked in the overseas division for many years, only a master and in some cases a chief engineer were American, I worked in Colombia where I was the only American, the bridge, deck and the remaining engine room personnel were all Colombians

It’s up to any country to decide what it wants to allow.

It’s very difficult, but not impossible for Americans to work in Europe. Very few Americans do.

There are no American flag tugs working in Europe. Once upon a time, but not in decades.

Since Europe is closed to American tugs and mariners, America should be closed to Europeans.

4 Likes

I remember when the tugs came back from the North Sea when I worked for Nolty Theriot, other countries have strong Cabotage laws and strong unions, I’ve been booted out of Brazil twice, when work picks up we return, we now have American flagged boats back in Brazil, for how long is anyones guess, some of Theriots tugs retained the foreign engineers and a few mates while working stateside

Can American mariners work in EU/EEA countries?:

IFAIK there are no special restrictions for US Citizens or US-flag vessels to operate in the Offshore Oil & Gas or Offshore Wind industry in EU/EEA waters and EEZ.
Why there are few, if any, at the moment MAY have to do with other things than regulations or restrictions.

There are lots of foreign flag vessels, rigs and foreigners working in EU/EEA countries, both offshore, in coastal trade and in shore based jobs related to the same industries.

US companies are well represented in the Offshore oil & Gas activities as owners and operators of boats, rigs and companies involved in service industries and equipment manufacturing related to the Offshore Oil & Gas industry. (GE is also a big player in wind turbine manufacturing true it’s purchase of Alstrom)

As for US Mariner, one of the reason MAY be that there are no reciprocal agreement on acceptance of national, or even STCW licences.
Likewise, training and courses carried out by non-IMO approved facilities are not accepted by Maritime Authorities in EU/EEA countries.

PS> Norway is contemplating mandatory Norwegian pay and working conditions, even on foreign flag vessels working in the Norwegian EEZ, or in Norwegian coastal trade. (Norway doesn’t have a maritime Cabotage Law):

Soon there will be only Switzer and Bolunda operating harbour tugs in the world:

It is getting serious in Oz:

Today’s update:

It is a bit disturbing as much of our inward freight is carried on ships calling at Australian ports before New Zealand.

1 Like

Yes that is what it is like when you live in a small country “at the ends of the world”, whether South or North. You are at the mercy of your bigger neighbour’s wims.
But don’t worry, Paddy is on the case!!

No lockout allowed:

Presumably the tug industry is too strategically important to allow strikes by the crew as well?

So Svitzer move their tugs to somewhere else and Australia build a new fleet of tugs at local shipyards to replace them?