What's New in the Tug and Barge World?

What’s the hot new gossip in tugs and barges these days? I’m not talking about the scandalous sort of tripe that has been all too popular for discussion of late, I’m talking about the really cool things like newbuilds, new projects, new ideas, that sort of thing. I continue to be more and more impressed by this country’s tug and barge industry every day. We may be loosing our blue-water unlimited tonnage ships faster than we can replace them but what we’ve gained in near coastal transportation via tug and barge more than makes up for it. I am tremendously proud to be able to call myself a part of this amazing industry and I am on the edge of my seat to see where it’s going to take all of us next.

So what say you boys? What’s the next stop on this crazy train?

1 Like

http://www.workboat.com/magazine.aspx

According to the cover of the latest Workboat it’s more ATBs in the near future. Lots of oil coming out of the middle part of this country that’s got to be moved.

[QUOTE=50thState;144654]http://www.workboat.com/magazine.aspx

According to the cover of the latest Workboat it’s more ATBs in the near future. Lots of oil coming out of the middle part of this country that’s got to be moved.[/QUOTE]

I saw that one, there was a similar article in Marine News recently as well. I think that’s just great. ATB’s are what is saving the United States Merchant Marine. They are the best combination of the blue-water ships that we’re loosing and the tugs and barges that are filling the void. As Sterling Archer would say, “Little column A, little column B…” I’d like to see every tug company in the country with their own set of two or three ATB units. It’s fantastic that we’ve now expanded into dry-bulk with grain and coal ATB’s, now we just need to figure out how to do containers and we’ll be all set. Let’s hope McAllister’s container ATB project goes according to plan.

1 Like

McAllister hasn’t even announced a builder. I don’t think it will happen

[QUOTE=Tugted;144684]McAllister hasn’t even announced a builder. I don’t think it will happen[/QUOTE]

I would tend to agree. But if it happens, I would bet a rum drink that SENESCO would build it around the facet tug 2/Reinauer “100” barge design. They “seem” happy with the Buckley, with the Eric coming out soon and from what I can tell they don’t have too many other big projects on the books, that I know of.

I haven’t hear anything lately but there was talk Reinauer was going to be building a few units >150k Bbl and/or some stuff catering to the chemical market.

[QUOTE=z-drive;144685]I would tend to agree. But if it happens, I would bet a rum drink that SENESCO would build it around the facet tug 2/Reinauer “100” barge design. They “seem” happy with the Buckley, with the Eric coming out soon and from what I can tell they don’t have too many other big projects on the books, that I know of.

I haven’t hear anything lately but there was talk Reinauer was going to be building a few units >150k Bbl and/or some stuff catering to the chemical market.[/QUOTE]

If they do build it to the tune of the Facetug-2 design, I hope they at least make it Intercon as opposed to the JAK systems on the other Facetug-2 boats (Curtis, B. Franklin, etc…)

You are talking about Mac. They aren’t going with the best stuff

From the sound if things that’s if they build it at all…

I got a rumor for the crew and I mean RUMOR as in SCUTTLEBUT, as in UNCONFIRMED. A old shipmate asked me yesterday if I had heard anything about Bouchard Transportation Company being sold.

Anyone hear about this one? Anything confirmed?

People haven’t had enough problems with the JAK pins to stop building boats with them, or to keep them from moving enough.

Come on man, I started this thread with the purpose of talking about something other than gossip. There are plenty of other “Who’s buying/selling out to who?” threads for that kind of talk.

They’re not so horrible that I think they should be expunged from the face of the Earth but you have to admit, Intercon has the upper hand any day.

I’d say jak pins are like Jon rie winches: they work and don’t necessarily suck but they’re not a Markey. Personally if Jon rie just got their controls improved they would be far better just with that.

Jak pins with the hydra-lock system arent that bad cause your not banging around in the notch. But while the barge is loading you have to break out of the notch. Intercons are the way to go.

My sentiments exactly, JAK’s are ok but while loading and unloading they’re a real pain in the ass

Have any of you heard of or used a “Bloodworth” connection system? Basically tapered teeth on the inboard side of the barge wings with a matching set on the sides of the tug bow. A steel plate with a hole in it goes into a slot in the nose of the tug with a huge wedge pressed into it. We had that on the ITB I worked on some years ago. The tug never came out of the notch and went up or down in accordance with the barge ballast. Seemed like such a simple yet effective design.

[QUOTE=txwooley;144770]Have any of you heard of or used a “Bloodworth” connection system? Basically tapered teeth on the inboard side of the barge wings with a matching set on the sides of the tug bow. A steel plate with a hole in it goes into a slot in the nose of the tug with a huge wedge pressed into it. We had that on the ITB I worked on some years ago. The tug never came out of the notch and went up or down in accordance with the barge ballast. Seemed like such a simple yet effective design.[/QUOTE]

The main Problem with a Bludworth System is that they are limited in how much the Tug can Pitch. If you pass (16 deg. IIRC) the max pitch you are OUT of the Notch. Guys that I know who worked on vessels with this system they said it is not If you will come out of the notch but rather When you will come out of the Notch. You really need to be extra careful in a Following Sea.

Hey Commodore PaddyWest2012, Read the very first sentence that YOU wrote at the beginning of the Thread you created!! If you don’t want to hear gossip I suggest that you don’t request “the hot new gossip” when you post to Threads on this forum. Oh yeah, don’t forget to take your meds as directed!

[QUOTE=ClutchCargo;144827]Hey Commodore PaddyWest2012, Read the very first sentence that YOU wrote at the beginning of the Thread you created!! If you don’t want to hear gossip I suggest that you don’t request “the hot new gossip” when you post to Threads on this forum. Oh yeah, don’t forget to take your meds as directed![/QUOTE]

Ok, poor choice of words on my part, but do you really need to resort to the “taking the meds” play? And where did the commodore thing come from? All I wanted was a thread where we could talk about the really cool industry stuff instead or chirping like a bunch of school girls over who’s hiring, who’s firing, who screwed who’s wife, what union screwed someone recently. There has been a little too much of that lately and it’s gotten a little tedious. I’m sorry if you didn’t agree with my idea, but there’s no need to get all worked up about it and start throwing insults around.

[QUOTE=ClutchCargo;144721]I got a rumor for the crew and I mean RUMOR as in SCUTTLEBUT, as in UNCONFIRMED. A old shipmate asked me yesterday if I had heard anything about Bouchard Transportation Company being sold.

Anyone hear about this one? Anything confirmed?[/QUOTE]

it is known fact on my home planet that Kirby is buying Bouchard for $600B in cash with the provision that Morty has to move to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and live in a yurt. It’s already in the papers there!