What's it like to work at Hornbeck?

What’s it like to work at Hornbeck? Working conditions? Company attitude toward employees? Schedule? Training? International opportunities? Salary and benefits?

Can anyone explain Hornbeck’s hiring process?

Are they hiring people without any DP experience? Or is it really as they say in the job postings, must have DP certification?

Good company. Been with them over 9 yrs and they always seem to try and do the best they can to be a successful company and a good place to work. Yes they are hiring and wages are a little behind right now, but rumor has it is about to change.

Look at you with orange and black pom poms!!!

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;67589]Look at you with orange and black pom poms!!![/QUOTE]

As apposed to being required to wear an orange dress and carry Astroglide for PPE (Chouest) I’d say pompoms aren’t half bad.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;67507]What’s it like to work at Hornbeck? Working conditions? Company attitude toward employees? Schedule? Training? International opportunities? Salary and benefits?

Can anyone explain Hornbeck’s hiring process?

Are they hiring people without any DP experience? Or is it really as they say in the job postings, must have DP certification?[/QUOTE]

Hiring process is basically a phone interview, then in person at the Covington office, and if they are serious about hiring you they will set up your physical which is a very extensive 7 hour or so process so be prepared for it.
Orientation is 5 days and you are given a room near the office and are paid your full day rate once you are an official employee -day two I believe.

I’ve personally been treated great here, no complaints about crew or management at all. Pay is a little low, however…,we are supposedly getting a, “Very competitive day rate increase across the board before or at the latest May 1” Now is a good time to get in.

International opportunities? Absolutely possible here. As far as training, they recently sent 4 mates -That I know of., to DP school, one also took GMDSS on the company dime. Though you will be required to sign a promissory note.
They are also working on some kind of apprentice program for ratings to go from OS-officer for both the bridge and ER, but details on that are not worked out at this time.

Travel pay depends on where you’re coming from, 350/hitch is the usual travel pay.
Currently we have BCBS Highmark but it’s a group plan that costs about $350/mo for family, 401k is 100% match up to the 3% and 50% up to 6% , which was just reinstated. (edited, thanks for clarification)
Other benefits are short/long term disability,life, dental, vision.

Several boats are both 2/1 and equal time.

Hope that helps.

I was told the minimum qualifcations needed are an AB unlimited with RFPNW for somebody who doesnt have alot of experience in OSVs with a 100 ton Master,and 500-1600 Master for someone who has not alot of exp.in OSV work to be considered for a beginning Mate (in training),also other minimums are GMDSS,ARPA and the top of the list is DP INduction,some of these the company will send you too depending on what you walk in the door with and signing a promisary note for the company.They have a drive service that picks you up from the airport and takes you to the hotel,the office is right behind it,after your interveiw the driver will either pick you up for the airport or if your fortunate enough ,right to the physical.

I heard a pay raise was coming as well but was never given a figure. Where did you hear that from? They are behind the 8 ball as far as pay goes but its a pretty good company. Like all places, they have their strong points and points that are lagging

As far as interviews go, do they pay for the plane ticket for you to come to the interview, or is that just a drilling contractor thing? And about the 401k, you said 100% match, what percentage is that up to? 2%, 4%, 6%, 8%?

You pay for it, no travel pay for an interview. Sucks. They match your 401k up to 6%

What salary does a second mate get?

HOS 401k. 100% match for first 3%, then 50% match for the next 3%

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;67616]I heard a pay raise was coming as well but was never given a figure. Where did you hear that from? They are behind the 8 ball as far as pay goes but its a pretty good company. Like all places, they have their strong points and points that are lagging[/QUOTE]

Pay raise across the board promise was from the brass, should know more today or early next week.
I’d rather not go into more detail publically.

What is the Day Rate for AB"s and What are the Working conditions and ship berthing like?

Everyone including ABs just got a very generous raise today and they are now paying extra for anything unlimited.
What do you mean by working conditions and ship berthing? It’s a workboat, and a dock. The crews are good, the company has been great to work for but I’ve only been here a year.
All you have to do is show up, do your job and be a decent shipmate.

I think he meant the accomadations onboard, are they nice or is everyone stacked in with each other and such.

How much was the raise? How much is the daily rate for the Capt’s and Engrs?

That really depends on the contract and the boat. For instance if you are off charter on one of the 240s the crew will get their own rooms. But If you have every accommodation filled with customers while chartered we have to stack. Albeit the rooms is yours until you go on watch there aren’t 2 people sleeping in the same room at a time.

On boats like the Centerline and Strongline, you pretty much have your own room all the time even with 70 passengers.
And not sure how many rooms the new 300s will have, you can be sure they will be nice!

I’m not inclined to nitpick at the small details as some are, not all boats have tvs in the crews rooms for instance, some have it in the common areas I.e, galley and lounge. Most all boats have wifi satelite Internet (this is huge for me so I can call the family via Skype or Voxer if we are offshore)
But is not so important to others who don’t have a wife and kids.

If you have more specific questions I can try to answer them to the best of my ability and limited experience on Hornbeck vessels.

[QUOTE=pacificg;67933]How much was the raise? How much is the daily rate for the Capt’s and Engrs?[/QUOTE]

If you want to know the exact amounts message me.

Hornbeck was looking to bring their employees above what Chouest and Harvey are paying which as far as I can tell they have accomplished.

Suffice it to say we all have big smiles on our faces now, if you were thinking about making a move last week would have been a good time to apply, before they are overwhelmed with applicants.

That’s good to hear. Everybody needs a raise. I hope that all unlicensed personnel was given a raise too. Okay have a good evening there Chipping…

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;67589]Look at you with orange and black pom poms!!![/QUOTE]

Sorry, that shit is funny.

[QUOTE=pacificg;67936]That’s good to hear. Everybody needs a raise. I hope that all unlicensed personnel was given a raise too. Okay have a good evening there Chipping…[/QUOTE]

All of the ABs are VERY happy with the new rates, im not overexhadurating when I say that everyone is smiling from the deck to the bridge knowing we are more or less with the top paid supply company now.