What would the 200 Ton NC upgrade do for me...REALLY

I have just enough sea time under my 100 Ton to move up to a 200 ton. To me its advancement in my career regardless BUT I’m trying to go to work now, not 2 months from now. I have my 100 Ton, STCW BST, Commercial Assistance Towing, Marine Radio Operator Permit, plus my basic MMD ratings. I havent run crew boats or mini OSV’s but I have been offshore 90% of my total maritime career and been running large Passenger vessels.

So heres the question. Should I stick it out and start on the smaller 100 Ton boats and get the experience under my belt before I upgrade OR upgrade and try my luck on vessels larger than Im use to.

As we all know, GRT tonnage does not accurately reflect size of a vessel. A couple of the Callais boats are prime examples of this…

You say you have enough time to upgrade to 200 ton, masters I assume, Do you know if you qualify for the 500 GRT? If it were me I would focus on getting the larger license if possible. That being said, I did upgrade from 100 ton Master to 200 ton Master and now in the process of upgrading to 500 GRT Masters…I am glad I had the 200 GRT, because in my case I got some jobs over a 100 GRT guy because of the higher license.

You say you want to go to work now, I guess you have had offers to work w/ the 100grt, so I would take them and work on the 500 for your next upgrade. Lots of changes in the works, and getting into the 500/1600 GRT level is going to become much more work and training later down the line.

Depending on what type of passenger vessels you have been running and the size ( length not GRT ), working w/ crew boats or mini supply boats should not prove difficult w/ good boat handling skills already in place.

Good luck, making the jump into a new sector can be intimidating, but if you are a good captain and skilled vessel handler, things will work out fine.

No. Right now I’m just over the 180 days needed for the 200 Ton Master upgrade. I’m wanting to make sure that when I do move up to my 200 that I’ll be able to get the required sea time to keep it or upgrade within 3 years. I am somewhat concerned with the timeline of the 500/1600 Ton changes. The vessel Im currently running is a 40ft beach cat but I use to run a 174ft and 100 ft dining yachts. Also 70 ft+ trawlers. I have sea legs and pretty much seen everything that can happen offshore. Plus I come from a VERY deep maritime family. (Even my grandmother has her 100 Ton if that tells you something). Ran the Delta for the first time when I was 9 by myself. Boat handling isnt a problem for me. Just the time working in the oil fields. My goal is to be at 1600 Ton by 36

You might find a boat looking for a 200-ton license. You will not find a boat looking for someone who is qualified to test for a 200-ton license.

I’m not looking for a boat that is “looking for someone who is qualified to test for a 200-ton license”. I’m looking for a boat I can operate on my current license. Work first, upgrade later.

[QUOTE=CaptChris878;33218]I’m not looking for a boat that is “looking for someone who is qualified to test for a 200-ton license”. I’m looking for a boat I can operate on my current license. Work first, upgrade later.

So heres the question. Should I stick it out and start on the smaller 100 Ton boats and get the experience under my belt before I upgrade OR upgrade and try my luck on vessels larger than Im use to.

[/QUOTE]

I guess I missed the point of this thread then…

I think PMCs point is the straight answer if you do not qualify for the 500 or 1600 GRT.

There are a few 200 ton vessels around, I have even heard of a few crew boats that will only hire 200 ton Captains even though they are only 100 ton boats. Take a 100 ton job while upgrading.

I cannot imagine you don’t have the seatime for the 500 at least, since you have “run” 174ft and 100ft dining yachts. If you were Master or Mate while holding a license, you should be qualified…

Lift boats. The main employer of 200 ton tickets are lift boats. Most other boats either fall in the 100 ton opening (with some liberal tonnage openings) or greater then 200 and require a 500 ton ticket. Now, having said that, Lift boats do routinely do new hires for mates. The mate on most lift boats spends the majority of his/her time on the crane or down in the engine room. So experiance with lattice boom cranes and a 200 ton ticket will get you in the door fairly quickly, if the lift boat employers are hiring at all.