What exactly do I need for 3000 ITC?

Howdy to all mariners !! I hold 500 Master Unrestricted NC. When I applied for the license I asked for 3000 ITC, but the coasties didn’t give it to me :(( Is there something I need before they can issue this endorsement to me ?? Thanks for the replies !!

[LEFT]I just went through this and it took me about three months to finally find the answer, and here it is:[/LEFT]

[LEFT][B]NMC Policy Letter 07-00 Nov. 14, 2000[/B][/LEFT]

[LEFT]a. Master and mate licenses
(1) A mariner licensed as master or mate 1,600 GRT on ocean or near coastal routes may
have the license endorsed as valid for service on vessels of not more than 3,000 GT. This
endorsement is not limited to service on OSVs. It is included here as a convenient reference
about endorsements that will allow such mariners to serve on OSVs measuring between 1,600
and 3,000 gross tons.
B A mariner licensed as master 500 GRT on ocean or near coastal routes may have the[/B]
[B]license endorsed as valid for service on OSVs of not more than 3,000 GT on near coastal,[/B]
[B]domestic voyages.[/B]
(3) A mariner licensed as mate 500 GRT on ocean or near coastal routes may have the
license endorsed as valid for service on OSVs of not more than 3,000 GT on near coastal,[/LEFT]
domestic voyages.

Make a copy of this policy letter, google has the whole letter, and send it to your evaluator at NMC, then you will get your 3000 ITC, otherwise they give a bunch of reasons why they will not give you the endorsement.

Good luck

Well Howdy Casper,

master/mate 1600 domestic tons = 3000 ITC…don’t understand what 500 master “unrestricted” NC means…assume you mean master 500 domestic ton near coastal…doesn’t master 500 ton = 1600 ton mate = 3000 ITC

If you go from Master 100 GRT to Master 500 GRT and do not have sea time of 720 days on vessels > 100 GRT as an AB, you will be held at 500
GRT until you aquire 360 days as a Master and a total of 720 sea time days > 100 GRT. That is what happened to me anyway; pre-2002, I believe you were correct though.

Thanks for the quick replies guys, and sorry for the confusion. What I have is reg ole 500 ton master license NC. Even for me to get that it was a hassle with my NMC evaluator, as he was young, and in my opinion didn’t quite know what he was doing, at first he wanted me to present a large OSV training certifiate to qualify for the 500. WTF ??? is what I thought, called him up a week later and had to explain what I was applying for, eventually he agreed to approve me to test, but then came the 3000 itc issue… never ending. Thanks again . I will send him the qote you posted, hopefully this works !!

Casper,

The policy letter will restrict you to 3000 ITC/OSV, which is what you need in the GOM. Once you get your sea time you will be eligible for the Master 1600 GRT, with 3000 ITC not restricted to OSV, without further testing.

Good luck with NMC, when in doubt check with Chief Cavo at NMC; he is the man, with the plan.

Does that “omsa-osv crap” endorsement loophole still exist?

Yes, the Master 500 GRT/3000 ITC/OSV endorsement is still available. If you want to work with the Master 500 in GOM all the big boys want you to get that endorsement. Unfortunately, the evaluators at NMC are not that familiar with this endorsement and uniformally deny it, saying you must have the 1600 GRT to get the 3000 ITC.

What exactly is the process to get the 3000 ITC/OSV endorsement?

I currently hold Master 500 GRT on Oceans, it is not due for renewal until early May, 2012. My whole career has been on yachts, but am looking at other options, and would like to have the endorsement if I start looking to the GOM.

Do I fill out an application and ask for the endorsement?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Just spoke with the NMC regarding the 500 Master 3000 ITC issue and was told that I would have to apply for a Master OSV in order to get the 3000 ton ITC endorsement…Oh how I love consistency! I sail with a fellow Mate who holds a 500 Mate NC with the 3000 ITC endorsement and no OSV license…damn it they are costing me $200/day with this sh*t…

[QUOTE=mtskier;82734]Just spoke with the NMC regarding the 500 Master 3000 ITC issue and was told that I would have to apply for a Master OSV in order to get the 3000 ton ITC endorsement…Oh how I love consistency! I sail with a fellow Mate who holds a 500 Mate NC with the 3000 ITC endorsement and no OSV license…damn it they are costing me $200/day with this sh*t…[/QUOTE]

I suspect you are mistaken on your co-worker’s license. The 3000 GT license has never been appropriate for other than OSVs. I can’t say it wasn’t issued without checking, but if it was, it should not have been. Contact me privately with a name and I will verify. Your comment abouut consistency is missplaced if you are trying to get the same benefit of a mistake, you are asking for more inconsistency.

One would think that the largest employer of USCG licensed officers on OSVs in the US (that also runs its own in house school for license upgrades) would be telling its employes exactly how to apply for the best licenses relevant to their OSVs. After all, they made all those campaign contributions and did all that lobbying to successfully obtain these special benefits for the industry that they dominate.

All you have to do for the 3000 OSV is ask for it.

I thought by now they were just putting them on there automatically.