What companies work in NYC harbor? How do rotations work?

I met someone who said that Harley, Don Jon, and Dan Marine are all working in NYC harbor. I see tons of other, McCallister, Moran, etc. out there.
Just curious how exactly things would work, where do you leave out of, are you at home at night? Do you have to get to and from work daily etc? I’m personally looking for a gig on a boat being home minimal. Single, young, out of a relationship, just looking to get one something put my head down and work and save.

I’m currently in a shoreside engineering position dealing with ferries, great money but just not what I want to be doing.

NY is normally 2 weeks on 2 off, normally out of Staten Island but if you’re moving oil crew change is wherever the boat is on crew change day.

AB and STCW BST will give you a little bit of an advantage with those companies.

You’re an engineer looking for work in NY Harbor? Check this http://www.freewebs.com/nyharbor/apps/forums/topics/show/8906653-chief-mates-and-chief-engineers-are-in-demand?page=last

Check out the rest of that “NY Harbor Workers” website. Contract talks are underway for Reinauer and Moran. Doesn’t seem to be going to well for the membership.

Buchanan
Reinauer
Kirby
DANN (DANN Tampa & DANN Maryland)
Greater NY
Bouchard
Miller’s Launch
Gellatly

[QUOTE=highseasharry;110532]You’re an engineer looking for work in NY Harbor? Check this http://www.freewebs.com/nyharbor/apps/forums/topics/show/8906653-chief-mates-and-chief-engineers-are-in-demand?page=last

Check out the rest of that “NY Harbor Workers” website. Contract talks are underway for Reinauer and Moran. Doesn’t seem to be going to well for the membership.[/QUOTE]

Isn’t that bad to begin with though, just the usual scams and crap union you have to put up with.

I think one of the things that I’m most interested in is the work schedule, my ideal situation with where I am at in life is to work 2-3 weeks and be off 1-2. Just fits my current situation. The whole 9-5 is nice at the moment and going home every day, but something about it just isn’t for me. Oh and I speak from experience, ex navy here so I know what it’s like to be away for a long period of time.

if you like being a slave and working 2-1 then head down the bayou as many of those outfits while they do offer equal time will be glad to have someone who doesn’t want it. Otherwise someone like Dann will gladly work you a month or two at a time with only a week or two off, AND pay you about half of what others are making.

[QUOTE=highseasharry;110532]You’re an engineer looking for work in NY Harbor? Check this http://www.freewebs.com/nyharbor/apps/forums/topics/show/8906653-chief-mates-and-chief-engineers-are-in-demand?page=last

Check out the rest of that “NY Harbor Workers” website. Contract talks are underway for Reinauer and Moran. Doesn’t seem to be going to well for the membership.[/QUOTE]

I get a chuckle out if it every time I read the posts in that forum. It sounds like the same old bitching and complaining every time.

Me too, I would kill for a job with any of those companies right now. Short rotation and decent pay why not? Once I get my AB I hope to get with moran but we’ll see.