Looking for work in New York harbor have experience

I’m young have some tugboat experience and im ready to sail whenever i live right on the terrace so i am nearby… I have applied everywhere and i am not trying to take the easy way out by posting a thread on here if anyone knows anything please give lmk!

What happened, Tony? I thought you found something.

Are you willing to leave the NY area? You might want to consider that, to pay the bills.

[QUOTE=catherder;159606]What happened, Tony? I thought you found something.

Are you willing to leave the NY area? You might want to consider that, to pay the bills.[/QUOTE]
honesly i dont mind travel but leaving the area i do mind but i have all my family here.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=catherder;159606]What happened, Tony? I thought you found something.

Are you willing to leave the NY area? You might want to consider that, to pay the bills.[/QUOTE]

And i did but the company is small and has a few guys that have been there before me that they have to give work to so its just a sticky situation.

No no, I meant take a sailing job out of the area that gets you home on say a rotation. Not move yourself or your family.

Sounds like it’s going to be tough to find something in the NY harbor area. Get the time in sailing somewhere else, upgrade, then have better luck?

From what the other NY guys say here it sounds like a tough sector to get a job.

[QUOTE=Tony Awed;159608]honesly i dont mind travel but leaving the area i do mind but i have all my family here.

• Updated - - -

And i did but the company is small and has a few guys that have been there before me that they have to give work to so its just a sticky situation.[/QUOTE]

So in this situation, just nibble on the shit sandwich a little and don’t burn your bridges, by posting to a place that presumably got you a week or two’s pay. Make yourself available to them, while you look for something else. If you were someone with a fancy license and decades of experience its not as bad, but as entry level its a terrible idea.

[QUOTE=z-drive;159613]So in this situation, just nibble on the shit sandwich a little and don’t burn your bridges, by posting to a place that presumably got you a week or two’s pay. Make yourself available to them, while you look for something else. If you were someone with a fancy license and decades of experience its not as bad, but as entry level its a terrible idea.[/QUOTE]

Well yeah i am still available to the first company i got with and i don’t burn bridges believe me I’m just trying to get bills paid and feed myself brother thats all so I’m really looking and striving for that full time position.

[QUOTE=Tony Awed;159616]Well yeah i am still available to the first company i got with and i don’t burn bridges believe me I’m just trying to get bills paid and feed myself brother thats all so I’m really looking and striving for that full time position.[/QUOTE]

Did you see the job posting for Kirby in the Knocking on Doors thread? May be worth your while. They are looking for hands.

[QUOTE=catherder;159622]Did you see the job posting for Kirby in the Knocking on Doors thread? May be worth your while. They are looking for hands.[/QUOTE]
I applied to them on there sight to a couple different positions what page is it on because i don’t see it boss… I would like to get on a kirby :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Tony Awed;159624]I applied to them on there sight to a couple different positions what page is it on because i don’t see it boss… I would like to get on a kirby :)[/QUOTE]

http://www.gcaptain.com/forum/maritime-employment/8525-knocking-doors-louisiana-108.html#post159625 should get you there post 1287

[QUOTE=catherder;159627]http://www.gcaptain.com/forum/maritime-employment/8525-knocking-doors-louisiana-108.html#post159625 should get you there post 1287[/QUOTE]

I dont think can afford to go louisana the money just isnt there but i mean i think i will get something eventually just need to do more applying and calling and something will come up! But i was hoping maybe somebody on here can help me out and i can get something quicker i have some experience and i dont give any attitude or lip to anyone and i take orders pretty well.

Someone on here already helped you out. The fact that you are back a mere 3 weeks later looking for another job to be handed to you doesn’t speak well for you or your employability.

[QUOTE=txwooley;159726]Someone on here already helped you out. The fact that you are back a mere 3 weeks later looking for another job to be handed to you doesn’t speak well for you or your employability.[/QUOTE]

well if you would actually read the company i worked for is slow and small and has senior deckhands to employ before they give me work! You don’t know how much ive actually applied and called and showed up to companies doors looking for a job so before you come on this thread with all your negativity and bad judgement you could take it somewhere else don’t get jobs handed to me wooley i apply just like everyone else. You don’t know me from a hole in the wall so please don’t judge or put in you unneeded two sense. Thank you

[QUOTE=Tony Awed;158738]Well yeah i was on for like 9 days and something happened with the other deckhand and the captain dropped us off at port and said im gonna call you when to comeback…[/QUOTE]

I have worked as a deckhand, a tankerman, a QMED and a Chief Engineer. What I have never done, in my 22 year career, is get put off a boat by the Captain.

A mans potential can only be judged by past performance. Yours appears to be off to a rough start.

[QUOTE=txwooley;159861]I have worked as a deckhand, a tankerman, a QMED and a Chief Engineer. What I have never done, in my 22 year career, is get put off a boat by the Captain.

A mans potential can only be judged by past performance. Yours appears to be off to a rough start.[/QUOTE]

Well wooley something happened when i was working that i don’t want to say in the open that we were actually forced to do a crew change.

[QUOTE=Tony Awed;159900]Well wooley something happened when i was working that i don’t want to say in the open that we were actually forced to do a crew change.[/QUOTE]

Did you $hit yourself and not have enough clean underwear to finish the hitch? I hate when that happens…

What could you have possibly done to get kicked off the boat that fast?

[QUOTE=bcoogan23;159905]Did you $hit yourself and not have enough clean underwear to finish the hitch? I hate when that happens…

What could you have possibly done to get kicked off the boat that fast?[/QUOTE]

I DIDNT get kicked off wtf.

[QUOTE=bcoogan23;159905]Did you $hit yourself and not have enough clean underwear to finish the hitch? I hate when that happens…

What could you have possibly done to get kicked off the boat that fast?[/QUOTE]

Company is slow and they have only a couple of boats plus they have senior deckhands that they need to give work to.

[QUOTE=Tony Awed;159916]Company is slow and they have only a couple of boats plus they have senior deckhands that they need to give work to.[/QUOTE]

You said they “forced you” to crew change, that usually is not good, I’ve heard a few different stories about what happened.

What ever you do you better make sure you don’t do anything to get kicked off next time, do whatever you gotta do

If he was bumped by seniority, I can’t blame anyone. At least you got a few days/week out of it though? Keep at it, eventually something will come to those who work for it.

[QUOTE=z-drive;159919]If he was bumped by seniority, I can’t blame anyone. At least you got a few days/week out of it though? Keep at it, eventually something will come to those who work for it.[/QUOTE]

I talked to the owner he said i will be on a full rotation “when the boat is under contract” idk when that will be…