What are some of your hobbies at home?

[QUOTE=CaptAndrew;99917]I ride my bikes. motorcycle most of the time and bicycle for exercise. And then I go into the shop and make sawdust, cleverly disguised as furniture. Along with a few smaller items like jewelry boxes and the like. I also create a few metal filings and join bits of steel. Sometimes I go sailing but my boat is now looking a bit sad and is going up for sale.[/QUOTE]

What an interesting thread. I enjoy reading all our replies. .
There are times when we must say good bye to a few activities we thoroughly enjoy.
We deal with it.

I do historical re-enacting, also known as living history to some. More specifically the American War of Independence www.47thregiment.org and the War of 1812. A great time going and playing soldier for a weekend.

[QUOTE=Wolfesown47th;99930]I do historical re-enacting, also known as living history to some. More specifically the American War of Independence www.47thregiment.org and the War of 1812. A great time going and playing soldier for a weekend.[/QUOTE]

Must be very satisfying and I know a little bit about the fun of it all, not that I played on such a grand scale as you, I was a bad guy in Old West shoot outs during our county fairs. I got killed all the time, the boys in the white hats always won. I mentioned, look, I know the good guys didn’t win’em all so how about giving me a break, OK, I was told, change hats. This was quite awhile ago, in the late 80’s. It was indeed a lot of fun plus the drinks were free and the ladies loved us.

I just know I’ll get picked-on by posting this picture so laugh away, just don’t call me late for supper.

[ATTACH]2976[/ATTACH]

I like going to punk concerts when the wife and kid(s) let me out of the house. I collect concerts posters. I like German and Swedish automobiles . I used to enjoy playing rugby but now I just watch. I hang out with my fur balls (3 cats, a papillon, Boston terrier and Shackleton the English bulldog)… Lately I’ve been freaking out about my wife having twins in August

[QUOTE=Skoidat69;99940]I like going to punk concerts when the wife and kid(s) let me out of the house. I collect concerts posters. I like German and Swedish automobiles . I used to enjoy playing rugby but now I just watch. I hang out with my fur balls (3 cats, a papillon, Boston terrier and Shackleton the English bulldog)… Lately I’ve been freaking out about my wife having twins in August[/QUOTE]

I was going to ask about the Papillon until I read a little further and saw that your wife is having twins. Man, you are going to have your hands full! Congratulations!!!

defending whales in the Antarctic. :wink:

Fly fishing, golf, cooking and skiing. Doing as I am told(wife.)

[QUOTE=catherder;99837]I surf and have a couple motorcycles but it looks like I will have to sell those shortly.[/QUOTE]

A surfing cat lover? Very nice!!

[QUOTE=jdcavo;99920]Mine are definitely the symptom of age, both rotator cuffs have impingement from years of paddling, the shoulder wasn’t designed for repetitve motions with the arm above the shoulder. I’ve been lucky to hanve never had a “traumatic” shoulder injury like a dislocation or cuff tear.

[ATTACH]2975[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Zat you, jd? Man, I ain’t gonna rumble with you.:smiley:
Oh, c.captain ~

I cook, I clean, I change a lot of diapers and sometimes throw the ball for the dog.

Fishing, paddling, writing, making sawdust. Just bought a uke and “Ukeleles for Dummies” … Here’s hoping. (The preceding are forward-looking statements. Past performance is not a guarantee of future opportunities).

Briefly considered getting back into brewing, but then realized that unless I can swing a 28/28 schedule or something like it, that’s just asking for trouble.

[QUOTE=hydroid;99918] …we grow tropical plants, Bananas, Bamboo, Giant Elephant Ears, etc…[/QUOTE]

Sounds like my backyard!
I like restoring and riding my old motorbike, getting outside with my dogs, shooting old guns actually made of metal and wood, fishing, diving and photography.
Not that I seem to have time for any of that because my #1 activity is spending time with my family…

Since I retired, hunting and fishing is a way of life. It provides 75% of the meat we eat. The other 25% comes from shrimpboats and oyster dredgers where I repair engines, electronics, and splice wire…I work for food!..Gun collecting, gunsmithing, reloading, Ham Radio…

Music. seems like most of my time is either spent making it, listing to it, or reading about it. One of our dreams for when me and my wife bought a house was I would get a room dedicated to my music, some how we got lucky and I got my music room. No pictures of my music room, but here are some of my guitars.

In thier home. Got a huge cabinet made through an unfinished furniture store and have slowly made it into a guitar cabinet over the years.

I also spend my some of my off time helping my brother build his rock crawler. In the past year we have gone from a stock 350 with intake and headers to a 383 with P&P Edelbrock heads that should be putting out over 450 HP and 500 torque. Next up will be learning how to rebuild a TH350 and axels. :smiley:

My engineer sold me a welder last year that I have finely got around to learning how to use so me and my brother will be getting into so metal fab making rock sliders, bumpers, etc, for our trucks pretty soon.

Taking care of our two dogs. A cranky 16 year old cocker spaniel can be a lot of work…

Also trying to convince the wife what ever new toy has caught my eye this week is something I can not live with out. Right now it’s seven string guitars and a new camero SS that someone has already modded out.

A couple of the toys

Stump Jumper 29er

Two current race boats, and a peek under the hood of one being built.

Some ocean play boating last summer

Those models look cool. Be honest how many times have you hit something going 50mph with those things?

Have you ever seen some of the models the guys in Europe build of OSV’s? Crazy detailed stuff with duel bow thrusters, stern thruster, and deck cargo.

I ran the motley crew up on the ice time before last when I was home. All I can say is thank god for break away bolts on the rudder blade. The last boat that isn’t finished should be able to hit near 70 on 6 cells with some prop changes.

I follow a scale forum quite a bit because that is what I originally got into, don’t have the patience though. Some of the OSV’s and acnhor handlers one guy has built for Maersk are insane. He made his own CPP system from scratch! There a a few american modelrs building some beautiful tugs though. However fast is more fun! I have the three boats and two of my friends buy their own batteries and controllers, so we have out own little “gentleman’s” race league. It’s great being the modest gainfully employed haha. It’s good fun, I enjoy it a lot.

[QUOTE=injunear;100204]Since I retired, hunting and fishing is a way of life. It provides 75% of the meat we eat. The other 25% comes from shrimpboats and oyster dredgers where I repair engines, electronics, and splice wire…I work for food!..Gun collecting, gunsmithing, reloading, Ham Radio…[/QUOTE]

75%, I’m impressed. I bag an elk every now and then, do some river fishing on the Bitterroot but that’s it. I guess I could survive on hunting and fishing if I had to, my grandfathers did. Funny, the word “sportsmen” is used today, doubtful my Grand Pappies would use that word. That’s neat you “work for food,” I respect that, a lot. I have a modest antique gun collection, the jewel is my Winchester Model 1894, 32 Special, Carbine. It came down to me from my Grandfather. Many a deer was brought back home with this rifle. Remington makes the cartridges these days. I use this rifle to hunt, no scope, it shoots straight.

Here’s a picture of Old [ATTACH]2993[/ATTACH], it’s not hanging there simply for decoration but it does look dam fine on the fireplace mantel.

[QUOTE=rkbakula;99968]A surfing cat lover? Very nice!![/QUOTE]

Three fuzzies, two of whom fight at any given time, but most of the time, they sleep.

My surfing leaves a lot to be desired…it’s great comic relief for the real surfers (I avoid the lineup)

[ATTACH]2994[/ATTACH][QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;100240]75%, I’m impressed. I bag an elk every now and then, do some river fishing on the Bitterroot but that’s it. I guess I could survive on hunting and fishing if I had to, my grandfathers did. Funny, the word “sportsmen” is used today, doubtful my Grand Pappies would use that word. That’s neat you “work for food,” I respect that, a lot. I have a modest antique gun collection, the jewel is my Winchester Model 1894, 32 Special, Carbine. It came down to me from my Grandfather. Many a deer was brought back home with this rifle. Remington makes the cartridges these days. I use this rifle to hunt, no scope, it shoots straight.

Here’s a picture of Old [ATTACH]2993[/ATTACH], it’s not hanging there simply for decoration but it does look dam fine on the fireplace mantel.[/QUOTE]

Well, I do buy ground chuck to mix with ground venison and boston butt to grind and mix to make sausage. I do enjoy a good steak ever so often. I can only eat seafood 8 or 9 times a week.:smiley: Here’s the crown jewel of my antique military collection. An 1898 30-40 Krag, 95% with bayonet. Also one of my Belgium Browning A5’s. I’ve taken a dozen or so deer with the old '98.

[QUOTE=injunear;100250][ATTACH]2994[/ATTACH]

Well, I do buy ground chuck to mix with ground venison and boston butt to grind and mix to make sausage. I do enjoy a good steak ever so often. I can only eat seafood 8 or 9 times a week.:smiley: Here’s the crown jewel of my antique military collection. An 1898 30-40 Krag, 95% with bayonet. Also one of my Belgium Browning A5’s. I’ve taken a dozen or so deer with the old '98.[/QUOTE]

Nice collection, I’ve had folks making a comment such as “you can hunt with THAT?” My reply, wanna see my deep freeze? Ya gatta wonder about anyone asking such a stupid question. I also like bolt action. The very best Snippers in the USA and USMC used bolt action. Their idea, “One Shot - One Kill” ~
I believe things have changed today but I could very well be wrong.

Nope, snipers still prefer bolt action. One of the more popular sniper rifles - the M-40 is based on the Remington 700 platform.