VPDSD (Vessel Personnel Designated with Security Duties)

Faxed my paperwork to the REC in New York on Monday and got an email today saying that they sent it to the NMC. Hoping for good news sometime next week that all my paperwork is good

I got a letter from my company modeled after the sample posted on this thread by SoCalSalt and submitted it with my renewal/ endorsement application and they tacked the VPDSD and SA endorsements onto the STCW page of my MMC.

Is this endorsement needed for both Deck and Engineering Officers?

[QUOTE=Bloodyshitcakes;121035]Is this endorsement needed for both Deck and Engineering Officers?[/QUOTE]

Yes. From the FAQ of the NMC web site: “All mariners serving on vessels engaged on voyages to which the STCW applies must have
training in and an endorsement for Security Awareness.” I

[QUOTE=Robert;121044]Yes. From the FAQ of the NMC web site: “All mariners serving on vessels engaged on voyages to which the STCW applies must have
training in and an endorsement for Security Awareness.” I[/QUOTE]

Thanks kindly. I just had the Skipper sign the letter and interneted it off to REC.

[QUOTE=“New3M;115386”]
Supposedly it’s free for this year. That’s nice I guess. As of 1/1/14 you have to pay for it (I think).[/QUOTE]

Unless they are changing their rules that’s not true. You don’t have to pay for an STCW endorsement that doesn’t require testing. (Like RFPNW or VSO.)

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;121134]Unless they are changing their rules that’s not true. You don’t have to pay for an STCW endorsement that doesn’t require testing. (Like RFPNW or VSO.)[/QUOTE]

There are no fees for an STCW endorsement, as long as you don’t do anything else like add or change a domestic endorsement, or renew the expiration dates. The reason is that STCW certificates did not exist when the current fees were set in regulation. AS regulation change would be needed to chnage this. No regulation change is in progress, it’s not part of the penfding rulemkaing to implement STCW 2010.

Will some one let me know if I am clear on this. Those I us with VSO on our license just need to apply to the NMC for this?

[QUOTE=Tom B;121151]Will some one let me know if I am clear on this. Those I us with VSO on our license just need to apply to the NMC for this?[/QUOTE]

Again, from the NMC web site:

If you already hold VSO, you are qualified for VPDSD and SA. On your next credential
transaction those endorsements will be added to your credential. If you want, you can submit
an application now to have them added. If that is your only transaction on that application,
there will be no charge and you will receive a single page endorsement to add to your
credential.

Before too long, that little red book is going to turn into an encyclopedia.

[QUOTE=Tom B;121151]Will some one let me know if I am clear on this. Those I us with VSO on our license just need to apply to the NMC for this?[/QUOTE]

If you have VSO, you shouldn’t need it, but you’d minimize the chance of issues with a foreign port state control by getting VPDSD and SA added.

It looks like there are two certs.

SA – VI/6 – Security Awareness

VPDSD – VI/6 – Vessel Personnel with Designated Security Duties

Which one do I need to continue sailing? Do I need both of these?

I have a letter for the VPDSD from my captain. Should I send that in and send in another for the SA cert as well?

[QUOTE=z-drive;115387]No, submit the letter electronically clearly stating that you want to ammend your current application to reflect that endorsement. Use your mariner/application number per NMC guidelines. They won’t do it over the phone.[/QUOTE]

how do you efile a letter of designated security??