VPDSD (Vessel Personnel Designated with Security Duties)

I was told by my company that I would need to get this vpdsd on my license before January 1 2014 or else I wouldn’t be able to work. I was told that I would need a sea time letter for the uscg stating my time and such. I just got hired working in the gulf as a mate and was working up in ny harbor as a deckhand. My question is would I be able to use my previous time working on deck on a tug less than 200 grt for sea time or go take a class? Thank you

Take the class for vso or VPDSD if you can, getting sea time is one thing, but what I have read you have to be on a vessel for 6 months and been assigned security related duties while on board, to get the VPDSD,the master of the vessel can write the letter up, and yes this goes into effect jan 1st 2014, I have wrote letters for my crew for this endorsement
And told them the same thing, they have to have it before jan 1st, I did read the office can do it, but don’t know how they would know if you were involved in security duties on board, you would probably just get a security awareness endorsement, and if you are involved in security duties on board you would have to have VPDSD

This may be useful.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/regulations/policy/CVC_Policy_Letter_12-06_Security_Endorsements.pdf

The application is for vessel over 500 GT.

But if you read the policy letter and 33 CFR 104.220, there is not any tonnage specified regarding the tonnage in which you had security duties.

So, my opinion is that if you had security duties onboard ( in a Tug is basically everyone) under a VSP the tonnage is not an issue. So I think you can use that time.

Sounds like all you need is a letter and to ask for it. I guess “standalone STCW” endorsements are free too? Better get one myself.

STCW endorsements as VPDSD (STCW A-VI/6.6-8) will be issued to those mariners
who apply for an STCW endorsement as VPDSD and provide documentary evidence
of having met the existing requirements found in 33 CFR 104.220. Alternatively,
mariners who commenced sea service prior to January 1, 2012 may apply for an
endorsement under this policy by providing documentation attesting to one of the
following:
(a) seagoing service with designated security duties for a period of six months in total
during the preceding three years (designated security duties may include, but are
not limited to duties specified in the vessel security plan);
(b) performance of security functions considered to be equivalent in scope to
shipboard designated security duties, for a period of six months in the preceeding
three years; or
© successful completion of a Coast Guard accepted or Coast Guard approved
training course.
Documentary evidence may include, but is not limited to a certificate or letter signed
by a company official, or a certificate of completion from a Coast Guard accepted course

Like posted, just take VSO. Your gonna need it in the future anyways. 2 day course and costs 1days pay. Trying to save $300 or have the company pay for it may cost you a lot more. Just do it and be done with it.

1 Like

Would rather not take a two day class when I’m already working 28/14 time home is not enough as it is. Ill ask for sea time letters from my previous employer and hopefully that is good enough. If not ill take a class. Thanks

We have been writing the sea time letters on my ship and there have been no problems with the USCG. Our HR dept. has been writing them for guys with time on multiple company ships and boats but not enough on one vessel. By all accounts, this has been working fine.

Why takes class if you don’t need to? Get the Endorsement and if anyone wants “more” then make them pay for it.

Question on applying for this: has anyone done it yet?

I’ve got the letter from the company, but I’m unclear as to whether or not you have to prove the various seatime. Does this thing require discharges to go with it or just the letter?

Supposedly it’s free for this year. That’s nice I guess. As of 1/1/14 you have to pay for it (I think).

What if you already have an open application? I assume you have to fill out a whole new application for this endorsement. I already have an application open for C/M that I haven’t tested for yet. Do I have to wait until I clear that application before I put in for this one, or is this handled differently? A guy I worked with was told he couldn’t upgrade to 2M because he had a pilotage application still pending, and he would have to close that application first.

No, submit the letter electronically clearly stating that you want to ammend your current application to reflect that endorsement. Use your mariner/application number per NMC guidelines. They won’t do it over the phone.

The coast guard just added it to my stickers last upgrade. Complete surprise to me

[QUOTE=“New3M;115386”]Question on applying for this: has anyone done it yet?

I’ve got the letter from the company, but I’m unclear as to whether or not you have to prove the various seatime. Does this thing require discharges to go with it or just the letter?

Supposedly it’s free for this year. That’s nice I guess. As of 1/1/14 you have to pay for it (I think).

What if you already have an open application? I assume you have to fill out a whole new application for this endorsement. I already have an application open for C/M that I haven’t tested for yet. Do I have to wait until I clear that application before I put in for this one, or is this handled differently? A guy I worked with was told he couldn’t upgrade to 2M because he had a pilotage application still pending, and he would have to close that application first.[/QUOTE]

Company /Vessel letter is sufficient to verify sea time. Submit application and letter through a local REC (not direct to NMC). You CAN attach/amend an open application, but if you are waiting to test, submit separately and be done with it. There is no detriment to you. You can have more than one application open.

You should take the VSO class. It supersedes the VPDSD and SA. If and anyone onboard can be VSO. It’s a really boring two day class but if you HAVE to take it, may as well get the VSO.

All you need for the endorsement is a letter, signed by the captain, with the Official number and ships stamp.

It should read,
Re: (Name) (MMC #) letter of documentary evidence for stcw endorsement as Vessel Personnel with Designated Security Duties. (VPDSD)

In accordance with Policy Letter USCG-CG CVC Policy letter No. 12-06 (5)(f)(2) this individual has seagoing service on this vessel. This individual has had designated security duties in the vessel security plan and / or noted on our vessel security station bill for a period of (insert total) months from (sign on date to off date).

Signed by the Master with his MMC number and ships stamp. STCW endorsement is free. Sent mine in a week and half ago and just got it back.

Of course, as pointed out earlier in the thread, if you already have VSO, they’ll add it for you without the letter. If you don’t have time to take VSO, this is the way to go.

[QUOTE=Bayouboy1982;115673]You should take the VSO class. It supersedes the VPDSD and SA. If and anyone onboard can be VSO. It’s a really boring two day class but if you HAVE to take it, may as well get the VSO.[/QUOTE]

Why should I go take a $1,000 class on my own dime and then have to pay for the endorsement when I can submit the letter I already have that will satisfy the requirements?

What he said

Didn’t realize it was $1000. I just took the class last hitch. Didn’t cost me a dime. Working for Chouest our classes are free.

Just remember in order for the seatime to count it must be 6 months of service that required security duties acquired before January 1, 2012. Won’t be an issue for most people but for some newer guys in the industry, you will be stuck taking the class

It reads just that you commenced your seatime Before jan 1 2012, not that the seatime must have been earned prior to then. Unless I am missing something

[QUOTE=donkeyrattle;118290]Just remember in order for the seatime to count it must be 6 months of service that required security duties acquired before January 1, 2012. Won’t be an issue for most people but for some newer guys in the industry, you will be stuck taking the class[/QUOTE]

You only need to have commenced the service before 1/1/2012, i.e. only one day of the total has to be before that date.

You probably need a special letter, the documentation needs to show you had designated security duties, that’s not normally part of a service letter.