Vane Bros Schedule and Pay

I have wondered how Centerline (formerly Harley) is doing at turning the company around. No easy task.

Quite well I imagine. They recently acquired two push tugs and a few more bunker barges down in LA. They know how to keep their equipment moving.
I believe they just sent an ATB over from the West coast to the East as well.
Can’t speak for the East coast guys haven’t worked over there since I left Vane.
Which, for the guy asking. Plan to work deck for a very long time. Gotta wait your turn and lots of men and women in line.

1 Like

Not good from what I’m told. Pay cuts, poor management, ancient equipment. A few friends there I spoke with said things are at an all time low.

1 Like

Sounds like the same old story.

Centerline has a multiyear charter on EC for that ATB. The pay wasn’t terrible when I spoke with them, but didn’t sound like raises were gonna happen anytime soon. They took delivery of a bunch of stuff on the West Coast for bunkering, so they are hiring, that’s about all I know…

Just with new faces in the office. Cut corners and cut pay. Inexperience at its finest…people tell me it was much better with Harley in charge.

2 Likes

That’s very unfortunate.

Harley paid decent union wages in California. Aren’t they union in NYC? It’s hard to cut union contract wages.

Harley was non union in Seattle. The wages were a bit on the low side. Quite a mix of boats. From old and tired to shiny new tractor tugs. Hard to see how they could cut wages in Seattle without a lot of turnover.

Harley had quite a bit of turnover on the boats and in the Seattle office anyway.

I’m pretty sure they were union. Threats of closing up shop were being tossed around to get the guys to take the cuts I guess? Don’t know how true that is?

Not an unusual tactic. Been there.

1 Like

Go on to youtube and search “timbatsea”. He’s a captain at Vane.

Yeah so that whole “things a centerline are good and getting better” is pure propaganda. The people that run that place suck worse than the guy who was stealing the money.

Their harbor boats are union. The offshore boats have been non-union.

1 Like