Valid drivers license and job applications?

After having gotten my TWIX, MMD and my STCW 95 .
I am finding that all the job applications want me to have a driver’s license.
I can not get one . Is there any way around this ? The offence is over 3 and a half years old
so I was able to get all my other papers in order and now this .
Any ideas ?

forgive me if this post shows up 3 more times I am just getting the hang of posting . let me add that I have been sober now for over there years and can get a work
permit but it requires me to show up to a place to check in every month
Not realistic if I am out to sea.

[QUOTE=Hamilton;138578]forgive me if this post shows up 3 more times I am just getting the hang of posting . let me add that I have been sober now for over there years and can get a work
permit but it requires me to show up to a place to check in every month
Not realistic if I am out to sea.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on getting your shit together. Sucks the final few steps are seemingly large. 1. Keep stepping, keep talking to potential employers and be up front with your issue. Your question about is there a way around this is for you to ask them and also ask your attorney. You might find someone willing to work with you or you might find a way to plead your case for a special schedule on the hardship license. Do you have a passport? The customs clearance is the only time I have seen anyone use their license besides driving to crew change.

Good luck, don’t give up. Except for the drinking… But everything else, keeping at it.

Thanks Ea$y. Yes I have a passport . I will keep going one day at a time. I have got to find a way .

There are plenty of jobs for people without driver’s licenses. I have had many guys onboard with no license. I suggest that you try Coastal Transportation, Trident Seafoods, and other fishing and transportation companies around Seattle.

Don’t know where you’re looking but in the gulf many smaller companies will hire you. I’ve worked for 3 total and all 3 had guys at some point with no license.

It’s a twic card not twix. Don’t know if you were serious or joking but figured I’d point that out.

Ok thanks Gofast got it. The C and the X are next to each other, I hit the rong one.
I have been looking at the tugboat’s AEP on the river and or a OSV in the gulf as a cook.
Thanks for everyone’s positive feedback.

Would you mind if I asked what companies you’d been turned away from for not having a driver’s license?

Ingram and AEP said that if I had to get off at one of the locks that I would need to rent a car. I said what about a Taxi ?
Others have it listed on the app. Maybe if I go and sit in the office and show them I can pass a drug test . I do not know .

That sucks. There are lots of people without a DL. I was born in a major city and hardly anyone had one. Cars were a pain to own in a big city, so why?

And yeah, taxi or airport limo much?? Some places are hard to get a taxi but getting enterprise to come get you is no better. I think you might be dealing with some dim bulbs.

Good luck in your recovery and keep scanning the threads. You’ll find work.

All major river companies require you to have a dl. Like others have said try the smaller boat companies c&j marine , louisiana boat rentals , d&s marine are a few they will hire people with no dl

Frustrating as hell … I know I could cook on tugs. I have a friend doing it now granted he wants off after 3 year’s but hell.
And it is a great 28/28 on and off.
Also thought it would be a good place to lurn a thing or two befor trying OSV’S.
Dam Dam Dam… Not geting any younger wating on this dam DL. And to work on boats in a galley after all ! LoL

[QUOTE=Hamilton;138769]Frustrating as hell … I know I could cook on tugs. I have a friend doing it now granted he wants off after 3 year’s but hell.
Also thought it would be a good place to lurn a thing or two befor trying OSV’S.
Dam Dam Dam… Not geting any younger wating on this dam DL. And to work on boats in a galley after all ! LoL[/QUOTE]

Cooking on tugs may actually be one of the more difficult things to do without a drivers license, depending on the company and the situation. If you’re at the home yard and you need to grub-up a lot of companies wouldn’t pay for a taxi or a shuttle, like they would at an unfamiliar port, because they’d rather have you drive a company van or truck or whatever’s in the yard. I understand the situation you’re in though, I think Catherder said it best, a lot of people just don’t have licenses for a lot of different reasons, whatever those may be. If you spend more time on a the water than on land anyway it hardly seems worth it, does it? Best of luck to you though, I really do hope it all works out.

[QUOTE=Hamilton;138769]Frustrating as hell … I know I could cook on tugs. I have a friend doing it now granted he wants off after 3 year’s but hell.
Dam Dam Dam… Not geting any younger wating on this dam DL. And to work on boats in a galley after all ! LoL[/QUOTE]

Most companies want a driver’s license and want to know that you have reliable transportation because the don’t want to hear excuses about why you cannot make crew change. The shorter the hitch, the bigger this issue is. Many people also think that you cannot get an MMC without a driver’s license, but as you know, you can.

Right now, deckhands that can cook are in short supply. There are lots of wannabe deckhands, but damn few that can cook. 120 - 12 hour days as a deckhand cook, and you can get an AB card.

Try the small companies that cannot afford to be so fussy. Try the companies with longer hitches. Try the companies where most guys fly in for crew change. Oceaneering is not a small company, but the are advertising for cooks, and OS/cooks.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;138772]Try the small companies that cannot afford to be so fussy. Try the companies with longer hitches. Try the companies where most guys fly in for crew change. Oceaneering is not a small company, but the are advertising for cooks, and OS/cooks.[/QUOTE]

Dunlap maybe? They seem like a smaller company with longer hitches.

Dunlap has long hitches to Alaska and Hawaii, but its a union company that gets its unlicensed crew dispatched from the IBU hall. Actually, the IBU might be a possibility.

Coastal Transportation, and especially the seafood companies would probably be an easier starting point. So would the smaller and older vessel operating Gulf companies.

I will look into ocheaneering thanks . I am calling as meny lawyers as I can to see if thy can help. Very interesting about doing time in the gally
to get the AB then on to the deck to make big money. I guess that is why ECO takes cooks and thy are moving on in 6 or so month’s. I had planed to make more of a career of the gally.

Oceaneering wants a DL . It is this interlock thing in the car . I can not check in with them and be out to sea at the same time .

Also try liftboat companies. Always see various ones advertising for OS/Cooks.

Some info I found that may be useful to someone else.The interlock office’s around the gulf seam to be far more understand of people having to be away for a month at a time. Thy will work with you to help you get through this process. Florida is breaking my eggs. I may just come down this fall and Taxi cab around and see if I can get lucky. Or just work land based and do what Florida wants for two years and see if there will still be opening offshore for a 48 year old cook in two years.