Requesting assistance/guidance/experience with getting sea-time testimonial for active-duty sea service towards cadet sea-service requirements. I have ~ 2.7 years sea-time within the 8 years served.
I’m currently enrolled in an STCW program and am underway as a cadet and would be pleasantly surprised if I could combine the two to meet 12 month requirement.
My apologies if I missed a similar thread in my ‘gcaptain’ searches.
Call your local USCG REC but don’t be surprised if it doesn’t count for anything
If you are a cadet you should meet licensing requirements when you graduate, not sure what your USN seatime will help with but it never hurts to ask.
Most of your check-off itmes for A/B, RFPNW, OICNW and other endorsements will be done at summer cruise and other weekly activities over the different semesters.
You add that to all the credit hours to your bachelors degree and even if they credited all that sea time you are not out in less that 3 years.
In my opinion its irrelevant if you go to a Maritime Academy and get that time from the Navy. It wont help you much,
Generally, you can’t use military or other prior time towards an academy program. The academies meet STCW by having an approved program that includes shipboard training. It’s shipboard training, not just sea time. Obviously, sea time acquired before you entered the academy, or even thought about entering it, can’t be considered to have been part of a program you had not yet enrolled in.
But, if you have three years of acceptable sea time, you can essentially qualify by the hawse pipe with your academy stuff counting for training and assessment. This probably requires the academy to get special, case by case approval.
Many thanks for the informative responses.
I don’t exactly have contact with the Skippers to get a seatime testimonial but I have all my evals and service record. Would the latter be sufficient to submit for a “case by case” type scenario?
Does the USCG still apply the 60% rule to military sea time?
[QUOTE=“captobie;115701”]Does the USCG still apply the 60% rule to military sea time?[/QUOTE]
Unless u keep a log that can be verified for every day u are underway and every day in port, you get 60%.
[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;115734]Unless u keep a log that can be verified for every day u are underway and every day in port, you get 60%.[/QUOTE]
It’s actually 70%. The reg says 60% is considered to be underway. The remaining 40% still counts, but its discounted at 1 day credit for 4 days service, for a net of 70% of the total.