USMMA Waitlist

Its been a while since ive posted, im the guy from NC who was asking a loto fquestions about USMMA (i know a lot of yall dont like KP) but anyways, ive completed my applictation but I have been put on the dreaded waitlist! I was hoping that any of you alumni can help give me advice on what i should do to help my chances to get to usmma. Any help is greatly appreciated! and i could really use it.

thanks

Mate_Zac

Mate already? You have the right attitude for KP!

Well not sure what you mean by that. But mate as in fishing boat deckhand.

[QUOTE=Mate_Zac;155841]Well not sure what you mean by that. But mate as in fishing boat deckhand.[/QUOTE]

deckhands on fishboats aren’t mates if you get my meaning…most of us equate mate with being licensed.

I was going to say that after you get into KP and finish your first six weeks of brainwashing there, you’ll consider you be ready to jump aboard any ship and order the master around but I’m not gonna say that now…consider yourself lucky

word to a wise young man…best not to try to discuss the USMMA here. The very mention of KP has a way of making certain undisclosed persons to detonate spontaneously. Just sayin…

tick, tick

As I respect your opinion, I have been reading on here for sometime, there are plenty of people who do think kindly of USMMA, and I am one of them, so in the USMMA thread it seems to me to be fit to mention USMMA in it. The other maritime schools are nice but I cannot afford to pay for college neither is there a trust fund set up for me to go, neither will the none existent silver spoon In my mouth gonna do it. I know a lot of the KP guys are daddy money, weekend warrior pretty boys, but I ain’t one of em. So In the hopeful event I get accepted it will be a life changing opportunity I would be forever appreciative of, and my chance to go to college. I think you can see something honorable and respectable in that

Glad you seem to have your priorities straight. Hope you get what your looking for at KP and stay humble. I know in the offshore fishing game, mates are the guy working the deck on an offshore boat, but your joining the big leagues now, best leave the bill-fishing lingo to the amateur sailors. Not received well amongst the professionals.

Yes that’s right, I’m from a way more southern part of NC, but yeah I used to do that for a couple years now I work for a line boat service owned by Moran Tugs.

Haha you replied before I could finish my thought. Anyways, good on ya.

Oh yes I just seen your post, and you are 100 percent right. I’m trying to play in a different game, with different rules. I hope one of these days to change my name to “captain_zac” but little steps at a time. Many more things to comets before that any how. Like understanding how to do it correctly

What determines if a person on the waiting list gets moved to admitted student status? I wish you the best of luck!
I completely understand the economic burden of attending a state maritime academy; I actually had to do my four years in the Navy for the GI Bill in order to be able to attend (currently at CMA).
If it doesn’t work out for you, don’t forget that TMA offers in-state tuition for cadets, and you could just finance the hell out of it. Worst case scenario, you could do what I did, but I advise against it as it is easy to get flustered with Navy shipboard life, lose sight of your merchant mariner career ambitions, and never want to step foot on a ship again!
I am thinking that perhaps doing some volunteer work might increase your chances(???).

“As I respect your opinion, I have been reading on here for sometime, there are plenty of people who do think kindly of USMMA, and I am one of them, so in the USMMA thread it seems to me to be fit to mention USMMA in it. The other maritime schools are nice but I cannot afford to pay for college neither is there a trust fund set up for me to go, neither will the none existent silver spoon In my mouth gonna do it. I know a lot of the KP guys are daddy money, weekend warrior pretty boys, but I ain’t one of em. So In the hopeful event I get accepted it will be a life changing opportunity I would be forever appreciative of, and my chance to go to college. I think you can see something honorable and respectable in that”

HAHAHA! good for you.

Could someone give C.captain a tissue please… He locked himself in the head, and I hear sobbing…

Alright few pieces of advice my friend. When on the internet never give your real name or information that can be easily linked back to you. You never know what will come back and bite you in the ass.

So change your avatar to start off. You should also start posting with a different account that doesn’t have your name in it unless Zac isn’t your name of course. Also I know this isn’t a English class but try and use proper grammar. Saying “yall” to someone and actually writing/typing it are two completely different things.

Now onto the waitlist. This basically means that they have sent out the maximum number of acceptance letters they can. However this isn’t a bad thing… Many people who apply to KP also apply to the other academies and they are more likely to go to those than KP. So just keep checking because you have meant the requirements to get a acceptance letter.

SUNY Maritime and Texas should give you in state tuition which you should be able to afford I would think. Although I don’t know your current finically situation. So look into it and crunch some numbers. Its important to remember unlike most colleges when you graduate from these you should be able to pay back your loans fairly quickly so don’t worry about them to much.

You have great intentions it seems just remember to listen to everyone’s advice.

If you’re good enough to get into KP you’re good enough to get w full ride scholarship at a state maritime academy. The excuse that you can’t afford it is totally invalid.

“The excuse that you can’t afford it is totally invalid.”

Just how do you figure that?

When I was at SUNY not too long ago, almost everyone I knew got some type of institutional scholarships. A lot of the really good students even got full scholarships, or at least pretty close. Couple that with the fact that almost everyone gets “in-state” Tuition, even if you’re not from NY, and the ease of our financial aid system, as long as you graduate and ship out you’ll be paying off the little debt you might run up in no time.

Edit: I was also assuming if he can get into KP, he has a pretty good college resume.

"When I was at SUNY not too long ago, almost everyone I knew got some type of institutional scholarships. A lot of the really good students even got full scholarships, or at least pretty close. Couple that with the fact that almost everyone gets “in-state” Tuition, even if you’re not from NY, and the ease of our financial aid system, as long as you graduate and ship out you’ll be paying off the little debt you might run up in no time.

Edit: I was also assuming if he can get into KP, he has a pretty good college resume."

I get what your saying but if you are truly poor, things like gas,food, and shelter take on a entirely different meaning as opposed to someone who has money. I know this first hand. There is no question that the decision to hawsepipe instead of go to a academy is to some degree financially based.

Domer is correct. Being from NC he can get in region tuition which I believe is about one thousand more than in state and with the scholarships he will most likely be able to get he would also get financial aid. All this making the college extremely affordable.

I see so many people my age base their college decision off of the amount of money it will cost them. But what I think people need to realize is college is supposed to be a investment. They shouldn’t be afraid to take out $5,000 a semester in loans. If you are able to get a decent job it shouldn’t be a issue paying that off. But that’s just my two cents

[QUOTE=Mate_Zac;155843]As I respect your opinion, I have been reading on here for sometime, there are plenty of people who do think kindly of USMMA, and I am one of them, so in the USMMA thread it seems to me to be fit to mention USMMA in it. The other maritime schools are nice but I cannot afford to pay for college neither is there a trust fund set up for me to go, neither will the none existent silver spoon In my mouth gonna do it. I know a lot of the KP guys are daddy money, weekend warrior pretty boys, but I ain’t one of em. So In the hopeful event I get accepted it will be a life changing opportunity I would be forever appreciative of, and my chance to go to college. I think you can see something honorable and respectable in that[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on your appointment to KP. Of the academies it has the most academically inclined students and the best academics. Take it from me, I know, commercial fishing experience is very valuable. Lots of good guys go to KP, and many of them are still good guys when they come out. Be one of those. Best of luck.

I appreciate it you all. I will be taking the advice for sure. As for my volunteer work I’ve covered that base too. As for now it seems to be a game of hurry up an wait. So I’m just working on getter letters in and calling admissions weekly to check the status of my application. Maybe it all works out only time will tell

If most students at the state maritime academies like myself can take out 80-100k to pay for school I would think it would be easy enough for you to get a few thousand dollars worth of student loans to cover what little bit of expenses you’ll have over 4 years. A lot of KP grads I know took out like 25 grand while they were there just to party in NY and spend while cadet shipping. If you went through all the hurdles of getting a congressional appointment and got accepted other than being on the wait list, I’m sure you can find the money you need to make it happen. Good luck.