Using Non-STCW personnel on an intercostal voyage

An someone tell me if it is ok, or not, to use Non-STCW personnel on an intercostal voyage

Depends upon type of vessel, tonnage, route and beginning and end of trip? What are you doing?

Bellingham,WA to Louisiana… Less than 500 ITC Multiple Service Vessel… Passenger/Research Vessel

I have to look up the actual sctw regs. I believe if you are UNDER 100GRT you don’t need any STCW. If you are over 100 but under 200 GRT you only need to meet STCW on international voyages (like the one you are describing). Over 200 GRT operating seaward of the boundry line all must be STCW. But I am not 100% on this.

Yeah, I am sure this is an intercostal voyage, from a state on the east coast to a state on the west coast, not on a international voyage, from one signatory state to another signatory state… We are in fact leaving the 200 nm line but being that is through the canal and canal zone, I don’t think STCW is needed… But, it should be…

What is the GRT of the vessel? THAT is important. If you are the Captain, maybe you should be calling your local MSO for a legal interpretation!

I don’t know where you are getting the phrase "intercoAstal’ voyage from. I don’t recall that phrase being used anywhere in any language to describe a voyage.

There are three in our 'Domestic license system. Inland. Near Coastal. and Ocean.

For International use these are divided into two categories for STCW purposes. Domestic and Foreign. Foreign is divided into two categories Foreign (or ‘near foreign’)and International.

I don’t know where you are getting your info from, but I am fairly certain that a voyage through another country qualifies as a foreign voyage. It is not just about where you start and stop, but where you go. I guess using your idea, If I went from Bellingham WA out into the Pacific Ocean for 7000 miles that would NOT be a International voyage? Or would it? How about if I stopped for Fuel in Kwajalein for fuel? I think it would be wouldn’t you?

The funny thing is, if NOTHING happened on this trip no one would probably notice, or care. But what (God forbid) if something did ? then the wrath of every inspector would be crawling all over your ass looking to hang you!

98 grt/ 419 itc

[QUOTE=JW-Oceans;65751]98 grt/ 419 itc[/QUOTE]

I believe if you are UNDER 100GRT you don’t need any STCW Correction. an UN inspected vessel under 100GRT needs no stcw. Since yours IS inspected you do.

How would you get from the west coast to the east coast? What canal zone? Panama? That is another country, so you are leaving the US and passing through another country.

Here is a pretty good summation. And you DO have to have STCW compliance. I was confused because I work on an UN inspected vessel. Since you DO work on an inspected passenger carrying vessel it is different. READ THE LAST SENTENCE!

[B] Domestic Voyages[/B]

The Coast Guard, as per NVIC 7-00, has determined that, for certain small vessels on domestic near coast voyages that safety provided through the current licensing, inspection and oversight programs for small vessels delivers a level of safety comparable to STCW. As such the Coast Guard has imposed no new requirements either on mariners serving on passenger vessels of less than 100 GRT inspected under subchapter T or K or on other vessels less than 200 GRT on domestic voyages or on the owners or operators of such vessels.

[B][SIZE=6]The Coast Guard considers near coastal voyages to be those within 200 miles of the U.S. shore and within the jurisdiction of the U. S.[/SIZE][/B]

As a result, when a Master or other mariner is serving on a vessel of less than 200 GRT on a domestic near coastal voyage, no new training requirements have been imposed beyond the regulations. Holding a suitably endorsed license for service complies with the STCW under domestic law.

An officer operating a vessel on domestic voyages will have an appropriate STCW endorsement automatically placed directly on his or her license. This endorsement is available to any officer on an inspected passenger vessel less than 100 GRT and on any other U. S. vessel less than 200 GRT (500 GT) that is operating exclusively on a domestic voyage, if this mariner does not already hold a STCW certificate. This endorsement should read as follows:

When the holder of this license is serving on an U. S. Vessel of less than 200 gross registered tons (500 gross tonnage) in domestic service, no added STCW endorsement is necessary to meet the U. S. regulations implementing the STCW Convention.

[B] International Voyage[/B]

This section uses the terminology found in NVIC 7-00 addressing International voyages. As described in Chapter 3 of the RVSS, International Voyages are made by vessels subject to SOLAS. However NVIC 7-00 seems to cast a broader net regarding “International Voyages”, defined in the NVIC as a voyage from a port in the U.S. to a port in a foreign country. The NVIC also states that these endorsements apply to mariners not engaged on vessels on near coastal voyages and that a license endorsed for near coastal voyages is not valid for international voyages or operations in waters of a foreign country.

[I][B]Mariners licensed for service on vessels of less than 100 GRT inspected under subchapter T or K and on other vessels less than 200 GRT (500GT), when operating on an international voyages (except for the specific exemptions identified in NVIC 7-00), must meet the training and assessments required by the applicable U. S. and STCW regulations in accordance with 46 CFR 10.202. [/B][/I]A mariner seeking a license or certificate valid for international voyages must meet the requirements for training and assessment required by STCW as may be applicable to the license or rating.

Any unlicensed mariner assigned a watch in an engine room or designated to perform duties in a periodically unmanned engine room on a vessel on an international voyage must have an STCW endorsement documenting that he or she meets the competencies of the STCW. This requirement applies only to those vessels driven by machinery of 750kw (1000 hp) or more.

NVIC 7-00 also sets forth a method to issue a STCW certificate to a mariner required to make an occasional international voyage, whose routine operations are domestic voyage.