Intercoastal Voyage via the Panama Canal

Have been looking for a CFR that explains intercostal voyage(via the canal) but can’t seem to find it. I have the book “Masters Handbook on Ships Business” and remember USCG questions about this… Any ideas?

I believe it is a near coastal foreign voyage. Don’t know where a specific regulation is though.

Intercoastal and near coastal two very different things.

Intercoastal and near coastal two very different things.

understood but it remains near coastal in the eyes of the USCG provided the vessel remains within 200nmi of the coast. The fact that the vessel goes through Panama waters makes it a foreign voyage requiring an official logbook, etc… I do not know if the Panama Canal Authority requires a vessel have a SOLAS certificate tho?

My comment was aimed at the op not you. He has made two posts about this topic and titled them essentially the same. If he means “near coastal” he needs to say so because “inter coastal” is very different.

I believe my discharges were marked “near-by foreign” a few of the trips I made.

I would have to go back and check my discharges. When I made a trip through on an ATB, we had to clear customs and take on parts and have the barge fitted out for the Canal line handlers (now THERE is a scam). Then again, we continued down the coast to Ecuador. Never mind.

I think if you are simply transiting the canal and don’t stop at a dock it is not considered a foreign trip.

[QUOTE=KennyW1983;65884]I think if you are simply transiting the canal and don’t stop at a dock it is not considered a foreign trip.[/QUOTE]

I figured as much. Twice I have made trips down as a Surveyor and departed in the anchorage and had to clear once ashore.

From every piece of study material I can find
Intra costal… In side the coast
Inter costal… From one coast to another
International… One us port to a foreign port.
Masters handbook on ships business says it is a intercostal voyage in domestic service… The USCG inspector says we are going on an international voyage and we are not a tug pushing barges in the ICW… Humm… That’s funny in itself

The CFR s are the law. However the USCG puts out Navic(s) which make their interpretation of the law easier to understand. What you are looking for is the CG interpretation.

I think if you look at your license you will see that it says (for example) licensed for mechanically propelled vessels of not more than XXX tons upon near coastal waters (domestic)

If you have STCW you would have another page listing as master of vessels of up to XXX tons upon near coastal waters.

If your license only has the (domestic) license it should be pretty self explanatory if your license covers operating off another countries coast.

This seems to be not only confusing to mariners, but to the USCG too.

It was explained to me by a lawyer like this: following your logic you could take a 1599 ton vessel all the way around cape horn from the east to the west coast as long as you stayed within 200 miles of the coast. This is NOT the correct interpretation.

The near coastal domestic license is not near just any land but US land.

Navic N07-00 pdfLook under definitions. Look for the descripton of what is a domestic and what is not. Top of page 3 pretty much sums your question and answer up.

A LOT of people are confused about this. In all likelihood many mariners are happily navigating around the globe ignorant of the actual requirements. In most cases NOTHING will come of it. But if something happens, OR you get boarded by an over zealous customs, immigration, or marine official from one of these countries you are ‘not licensed to operate vessels in’ you may be ‘up the creek without a paddle’ so to speak.

I am particularly loathe to listen to ‘the office’ who says: “just go, it’s OK, we checked it out for ya…” It is YOUR license on the line, and IIRC, the fines for operating a vessel outside your license or exceeding the official capacity are the responsibility of… The Master.

[QUOTE=JW-Oceans;65863]Have been looking for a CFR that explains intercostal voyage(via the canal) but can’t seem to find it. [/QUOTE]

That’s because ships don’t sail between ribs.

Ignoring for a moment all the attempts to redefine the limits of a domestic license and evade international laws, does this little boat hold enough fuel to sail between San Diego and the Gulf Coast without having to enter a foreign port to take on bunkers?

[QUOTE=Steamer;65913]That’s because ships don’t sail between ribs.

Ignoring for a moment all the attempts to redefine the limits of a domestic license and evade international laws, does this little boat hold enough fuel to sail between San Diego and the Gulf Coast without having to enter a foreign port to take on bunkers?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed the “costal”, too. As far as stopping for fuel, that was my point also.

Steamer, you may be an ass but you sure are a funny ass.

By “study material” what do you mean? I looked in a dictionary and you are correct; everyone always refers to it as the “intercoastal waterway” and they are wrong. But that doesn’t mean that “intercoastal voyages” are nautical speak, defined in the cfr, used in common maritime parlance, or known by the coast guard. The CG guy you asked was right in his answer, you asked the wrong question. (And the Master’s Handbook on Ships Business is not a definitive, infallible source. Nor does it reflect common maritime parlance, legal route types, etc.)

And it isn’t a near costal domestic voyage is you leave US waters.

You are correct. And my study material does say international… Load line terminology says inter coastal… USCG says foreign… I can’t find an explanation in the CFR’s… IASK@uscg.mil says ask local USCG guy… Thanks all of you for your help, I can’t wait to see what more explanations

I hope this answers all the questions of Oceans/Near coastal Licenses and the routes you are allowed to work on… Although it has nothing to do with this specific post, it has to do with me other Panama C anal Post and the Need for STCW for the entire crew.

NAVIC 7-00
4.a.(4)… International Standards
STCW regulations I/I defines near coastal voyages as those voyages in the vicinity of a Party (Signatory government) as defined by the Party. Each party to the STCW has defined its own boundary for near coastal waters and the boundary may not be consistent with the definition within 46 CFR 10.103 (See paragraph 5.f.). STCW section B-I/3 explains that near coastal voyages should not be extended worldwide and where the near coastal voyages include voyages off another Party’s coast, a bilateral agreement should be established…… We have a lot of agreements out there!!!
6.e.(1)… Requirements for International Voyages
A mariner licensed for service on vessels of less than 100 GRT inspected under subchapter T or K, and on vessels less than 200 GRT (500 GT), when operating on international voyages, except for voyage specific exemptions addressed in paragraph 6.e.(3) below, must meet the requirements for training and assessments of the applicable U.S. and STCW regulations, in accordance with 46 CFR 10.202. A mariner seeking a license or certificate valid for international voyages must meet the requirements for training and assessment of the STCW Code section A-I/3, A-III/1, or A-III/4 (where they apply to mariners on vessels not engaged on near coastal voyages) and all other requirements of the STCW Code. A License endorsed for near coastal waters is not valid for international voyages or operation in waters of a foreign country….You must have the STCW rating in addition to the Domestic license!!! If you do not have the STCW rating, your license will say “Upon Near Coastal WATERS ONLY”…… If you have the STCW rating your license will say “Valid for Near Coastal Voyages Only…. NOT WATERS!!!

I bet if the IMO empowered a “special commission” of non english speaking signatory nations, and gave them just a few million dollars and several months (OK, years) they could come up with something even MORE incomprehensible than the existing regulations on this subject.

THIS TODAY FROM THE RIG ZONE JOB SITE:

Company Name:
Complete Logistical Services, LLC
Job Category:
Maritime
Education Level:
Tech/Vocational Cert.
Req’d Experience:
3 years
Desired Expertise:
Captain / Master
US
Job Description
CLS is currently looking for a 500T Tug Captain for a barge delivery from Morgan City to the West Coast.
Tug is under 200 GRT and Under 500 ITC. Tug equipped with double drum Markey Winch which is driven hydraulically which means slower than diesel drive etc found on conventional Gulf Anchor Tugs.

Requirement:
[I][B]200/500 Master Near Coastal or greater with Towing Endorsement. Our Mate has Oceans Endorsement and we can keep most of voyage less than 200 nm from Coast so Captain with Near Coastal endorsement is OK. [/B[/I]] Tug has a current Voluntary Safety Management Certificate so ISM experience is preferred.

Experience with tandem tows as Master is a must and Panama Canal Transit experience preferred.

Boat is in Morgan City and needs to depart Friday lite boat for fueling and stores and then rendezvous with barges over weekend.
Current crew compliment is Mate, Chief, AB and AB/QMED.
If you are currently looking for work please send your resume and documents to hr@clogisticla.com
To Apply Visit: http://www.rigzone.com/jobs/job_posting.asp?p_id=355977&s=1

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;91351]THIS TODAY FROM THE RIG ZONE JOB SITE:

Company Name:
Complete Logistical Services, LLC
Job Category:
Maritime
Education Level:
Tech/Vocational Cert.
Req’d Experience:
3 years
Desired Expertise:
Captain / Master
US
Job Description
CLS is currently looking for a 500T Tug Captain for a barge delivery from Morgan City to the West Coast.
Tug is under 200 GRT and Under 500 ITC. Tug equipped with double drum Markey Winch which is driven hydraulically which means slower than diesel drive etc found on conventional Gulf Anchor Tugs.

Requirement:
[I][B]200/500 Master Near Coastal or greater with Towing Endorsement. Our Mate has Oceans Endorsement and we can keep most of voyage less than 200 nm from Coast so Captain with Near Coastal endorsement is OK. [/B[/I]] Tug has a current Voluntary Safety Management Certificate so ISM experience is preferred.

Experience with tandem tows as Master is a must and Panama Canal Transit experience preferred.

Boat is in Morgan City and needs to depart Friday lite boat for fueling and stores and then rendezvous with barges over weekend.
Current crew compliment is Mate, Chief, AB and AB/QMED.
If you are currently looking for work please send your resume and documents to hr@clogisticla.com
To Apply Visit: http://www.rigzone.com/jobs/job_posting.asp?p_id=355977&s=1[/QUOTE]

The Master needs to be licensed for the route the vessel is on at all times, not just when they are on watch. This misconception may be based on the old licensing for mtowing vessels when they were an “operator” and not a Master.