USCG runs free DP school?

Just got off of Panamax Bulker, International trade shrinks like it was before 1971 when the President Nixon freed Dollar from the Gold.

Almost all the job posting seem to require DP cert.

Now I am looking into free DP class (if there’s any) to add DP cert. on my License.

And found something like this as follows ;

Training CoursesThe Training Branch’s 24 Coast Guard and civilian employees, including several contract personnel, design, develop and instruct thirteen “C” school courses and three exportable post-installation operator courses. All of the “C” school courses instructed by C3CEN are pipeline courses with quotas managed by the Training Quota Management Center (TQC). To request a quota, submit a short-term training request to TQC. The three post-installation courses instructed, Seawatch Operator, VEGA ECS Operator, and Watchkeeper Operator are scheduled as part of the unit installation process.

Is there anybody who actually has gone through this class and acquired DP cert.?

Doesn’t mention DP. As it stands now the Nautical Institute certifies DP operators. There are two classes with 4 stages in the process

1. Induction class
  2. 30 days familiarization with evolutions to be signed off
  3. Advanced class
  4. 180 days “desk time” or documented days of DP

The nautical institutes website has a list of approved training facilities

Those schools are only for military and government members only. Additionally, you get NO certification related to DP other than recognized within the organization the member is attached. So, become an American citizen, join the military, preferably the NAVY or USCG and pray you get assigned to a vessel that has DP.

As far as I know the NAVY has no DP vessels though if I am wrong, I am sure somebody will enlighten us all.

When I was at Kongsberg, 3 coasties of the Cutter mackinaw where there for DP induction, and the week before they were at star center for an azipod course

That is because the MACKINAW has the Kongsberg system onboard and azipods. As far as I know, they (USCG) don’t pay for any further training. If they do that is new.

Do the 175’s have the Kongsberg system as well? All are DP1 correct?

[QUOTE=commtuna;63638]Do the 175’s have the Kongsberg system as well? All are DP1 correct?[/QUOTE]

The Keeper Class have DP, not sure if it is Kongsberg or not.

They have Navtronics. I was second in command on the ABBIE BURGESS for four years so I am intimately familiar with them.

Intimately familiar? They are NAUTRONIX ASK 4000 DP systems on the WLM’s, not Navtronics. The company is now L-3.

I would guess there are well over 30 Navy vessels with DP

[QUOTE=Iron Horse;68605]Intimately familiar? They are NAUTRONIX ASK 4000 DP systems on the WLM’s, not Navtronics. The company is now L-3.[/QUOTE]

Navtronics, Nautronics, considering I have not seen one in 5 years, I was glad I could remember what it started with let alone the model #.

Good for you iron horse, you get a cookie.