USCG light List and Coastal Pilot Corrections

I am hearing a rumor now that we can have these corrections electronically now? Can anyone confirm or deny this? If it is true can someone possibly point me in the direction of where I can download these from? Also Will I need to keep a Coast guard Policy letter onboard stating that this is a accepted practice now for any type of Coast guard Audit or company audit? Any help would be much appreciated on this issue.

[B][U]IMHO[/U][/B]…believe you can obtain what is required from the List of Corrections, NTM and LNTM…all can be downloaded and some can be sent to you via email…also believe you can still download ALL the corrections for a specific chart…also the current Light Lists and Coast Pilots are available for download as well…hope this is help to some??

[QUOTE=orangejulius;47991]I am hearing a rumor now that we can have these corrections electronically now? Can anyone confirm or deny this? If it is true can someone possibly point me in the direction of where I can download these from? Also Will I need to keep a Coast guard Policy letter onboard stating that this is a accepted practice now for any type of Coast guard Audit or company audit? Any help would be much appreciated on this issue.[/QUOTE]

The rumor is true. http://www.americanwaterways.com/press_room/newsletter/2010/12-06-10non.pdf, see page 4 which also includes a link to CG-543 Policy Letter 10-05.

Capt Brucato provides a very nice system of performing these corrections, http://captbbrucato.wordpress.com/2009/06/18/how-to-correct-your-publications-and-save-a-tree/.

Coast Pilot corrections - http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/cpdownload.htm

Light List corrections - http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=lightLists

With both you need to make sure you download the main text of each and then the individual corrections for the Coast Pilot and the Summary of Corrections for the Light List on a weekly basis.

If your company can afford it, I would recommend using Ocean Charting Services. They make chart corrections and light list updating a breeze. www.oceanchartingservices.com

You are right as usual Rob. My company has been using this service for a few years now and it is the best thing since sliced bread. The publications are sent in a ring binder. If there is a correction on a page, the entire page is taken out and a new page is inserted. the chart corrections are printed on self adhesive backed paper. Just trim it, remove the backing and stick it on the chart in the appropriate place. Its a great time saver and your pubs and charts won’t look like a junior high project.[QUOTE=rjbpilot;48000]If your company can afford it, I would recommend using Ocean Charting Services. They make chart corrections and light list updating a breeze. www.oceanchartingservices.com[/QUOTE]

1. Subject: LNMs, Charts, Chart Corrections, or Light Comments or Questions:
    So with the electronic light list we are not required to keep a hard copy
    Response

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting the USCG Navigation Center. We recommend you call the Coast Guard Prevention Policy Directorate Office at (202)-372-1135. This questions falls under their area of expertise, and they will be able to assist you.

Sincerely,

USCG Navigation Center
Navigation Information Service
NAVCEN MS 7310
7323 Telegraph Road
Alexandria, VA 20598 - 7310
Tel: 703-313-5900
www.navcen.uscg.gov

===========================================
If you are a subject matter expert, please DO NOT reply to the person that submitted the message. The NAVCEN NIS is responsible for responding to all inquiries and may contact you for assistance.

See below
The 2011 Light List Books are now available for download. They are updated to Local Notice (01-2011). The electronic version of the Light Lists books are updated monthly, by the first Friday of each month, and are also available on the NAVCEN website. If you have questions regarding this message, you may contact the Navigation Center (use “LNMs, Charts, Chart Corrections, or Light Lists” as the subject from the pull down menu).

they do provide up-to-date full volumes of the light lists here

now, these “corrected” volumes don’t contain any of the ancillary info found in the hardcopy Light List’s opening pages, just aids, (the nice colored buoy/light plates can be found here in electronic form) so you’d technically still need one copy of the entire book.

If you use the system I describe in my blog, you’ll need to download the summaries (for each edition of the LL you maintain) following each new NTM and refer to the article on how to reference the LL using the summary. Each time you download the summary, you’ll overwrite the old one and that will be your up-to-date summary regarding each LL. By the way, it’s free…