USCG Issues new guidelines for Food Handlers

Just in case you want to be involved in Food Handling under the authority of your MMC, read this.

Good Idea!!:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=dougpine;45905]Just in case you want to be involved in Food Handling under the authority of your MMC, read this.[/QUOTE]

I heard somthing about this from REC Seattle back in 2010, around August when I went to renew my MMD and get a MMC instead. But they also mentioned that those in the Stew’s Dept might also need to a get a food safety qualification as well. I know that some states have food handler permits that are at the state level (Alaska, for example) and in many others, food handler permits are done at the local level.

Myself, I have ServSafe Certification for food service managers which is a comprehensive exam and it’s valid for 5 years.

I think there is a real problem with galley service and sanitation in the maritime industry. With many companies having cut out the cook’s job, that leaves untrained and already overworked mariners to either rotate the “job” of cook or just hope there’s plenty of hot pockets, frozen pizzas and pop tarts… not a very healthy diet for mariners.

We need to ask for better conditions on-board vessels, and areas such as sufficent crew berthing spaces, noise reduction, modern safety equipment are all expected on today’s vessels, why not a cook (or two) and 3-4 hot, square, properly prepared meals per day?

We have AB schools, QMED training courses, radar courses, STCW out the wazoo, but what about programs for maritime cooks and stewards? I only know of the SIU’s Piney Point courses for those within the SIU and SeaSchool runs a 28 day program for boat cooks. 2 schools in the USA to train the cooks for our maritime industry, what’s wrong with that picture?