USCG check list(s)...? J. Cavo?

Hi Folks,
I am curious if anyone (Mr. Cavo) can shed some light on how the check lists evolve? The check list posted at:gcaptain.com/forum/attachments/500-ton-master-upgrade/1294d1308583442-questions-master-500-1600-ocean-nc.pdf has the number MCP-FM-NMC5-67 at the bottom. Kelly Ksisk posted one that was recently received with the number MCP-FM-NMC5-67(5) at the bottom, and they are different in one key point that is of great interest to me. The second has a section that states the following:

[I]A mariner who qualified for a Mate 500/1600 Near Coastal or Oceans by completing a CG approved program may raise the grade of their endorsement to Master 1600 Near Coastal or Oceans by providing 360 daysof service as Master/Mate on Ocean or Near Coastal vessels while holding an endorsement as such [B]OF WHICH[/B] 180 days must be on vessels over 50GRT. This applies to, but is not limited to graduates of programs at Maine Maritime Academy, S.U.N.Y., PMI and MITAGS.[/I]

The check list posted on the NMC site is numbered MCP-FM-NMC5-67. In the end, my question is does the (5) indicate a fifth revision? I sure hope that the above provision holds true.
Thanks All!

[QUOTE=mtskier;59392]Hi Folks,
I am curious if anyone (Mr. Cavo) can shed some light on how the check lists evolve? The check list posted at:gcaptain.com/forum/attachments/500-ton-master-upgrade/1294d1308583442-questions-master-500-1600-ocean-nc.pdf has the number MCP-FM-NMC5-67 at the bottom. Kelly Ksisk posted one that was recently received with the number MCP-FM-NMC5-67(5) at the bottom, and they are different in one key point that is of great interest to me. The second has a section that states the following:

[I]A mariner who qualified for a Mate 500/1600 Near Coastal or Oceans by completing a CG approved program may raise the grade of their endorsement to Master 1600 Near Coastal or Oceans by providing 360 daysof service as Master/Mate on Ocean or Near Coastal vessels while holding an endorsement as such [B]OF WHICH[/B] 180 days must be on vessels over 50GRT. This applies to, but is not limited to graduates of programs at Maine Maritime Academy, S.U.N.Y., PMI and MITAGS.[/I]

The check list posted on the NMC site is numbered MCP-FM-NMC5-67. In the end, my question is does the (5) indicate a fifth revision? I sure hope that the above provision holds true.
Thanks All![/QUOTE]

The (5) does refer to the version number. The higher the number, the more recent the version. Lower number versions are no longer current or valid. The current version is (07).

The note about mariners who obtained mate 500/1600 by completing an approved program is the result of several appeals of NMC decisions. The passage you quoted is policy established by those appeals. It is still valid policy and is part of the current version (07).

Thank you for the info! Guess I’d better get the books out!

Does the approved program stipulation apply to the Mate Near Coastal to Oceans upgrade path as well? I have a 500/Oceans, 1600 Near Coastal with towing endorsement, and a Mate or Towing Oceans at the moment.
Thanks again!