New uscg checklist?

Ive been taking some classes lately with the upgrade to 500 or 1600 in mind. I know the USCG has been talking about changing things up quite a bit but my instructor says everything has been put on hold. I also noticed though that the NMC website does not have a checklist up for 500/1600 NC master.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the current requirements (sea time/tonnage and certs)? Also I was wondering where the CG was in the process of changing the systyem to see if I have time to squeeze in before it all kicks in. Everywhere I go Im getting conflicting information…

Thanks
Mike Freeman

[QUOTE=rigdvr;30625]Ive been taking some classes lately with the upgrade to 500 or 1600 in mind. I know the USCG has been talking about changing things up quite a bit but my instructor says everything has been put on hold. I also noticed though that the NMC website does not have a checklist up for 500/1600 NC master.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the current requirements (sea time/tonnage and certs)? Also I was wondering where the CG was in the process of changing the systyem to see if I have time to squeeze in before it all kicks in. Everywhere I go Im getting conflicting information…

Thanks
Mike Freeman[/QUOTE]

Mike,
I don’t know the reason behind not having a checklist for Master 1600 but here is an old version for what it’s worth.
http://gcaptain.com/forum/attachment…00-1600-oceans

You do the best you can to get it knocked out ASAP. There is no date set for the changes.

There have been several that have been removed…Is this in anticipation of the NPRM?

Just sent NMC an email this moring inquiring about the checklist. Co-worker was looking for it. If they send it to me I will post it on here…

Here is the latest checklist that the NMC just sent me this morning: [ATTACH]731[/ATTACH]

Capt Brian, did they offer any info as to why these are missing from the site?

[QUOTE=10talents;30633]There is no date set for the changes.[/QUOTE]

Everything I have heard about the changes was that they have been finalized and the control date is soemtime in June. Have I been misinformed?

Get a move on with your upgrade [B]rigdvr[/B], the proposed “management courses” arent going to be cheap! Good luck with it all, and don’t forget to request a 3000 ITC OSV endorsement on your application…

Ive heard june and Ive also heard its been put on hold so not sure. MPT has already developed the curriculum for the new stuff and it is not cheap at all! Ive been told that even if I am a class or 2 short to turn in my packet. The CG would then send me a letter that I did not qualify to test due to missing x and y and I had 90 days to come into compliance. This would keep me in the “old” sytem though and give me a little more leeway. Any one have thoughts on this? Also would I still have one year to test after getting approval?

Should have done this along time ago…

Word is it got put on hold… there is a link on the STCW Proposed rulemaking thread , posted by Captain Fran. Something may have changed since then, but I haven’t seen anything official…anyone know different. Even so I recommend everyone upgrade as soon as possible, I know I am.

February 11th, 2010 02:26 AM #87
jdcavo

Default Re: STCW - New Notice of Proposed Rulemaking

The 2010 amendments will "enter into force" January, 2012. This is the date in the STCW for countries to adopt them. The date for the 1995 amendments was February 1, 2002. 

My money is on what MR. Cavo said back in Feb/2010

To which of his posts are you refering?

Diesel, if you are talking to me, then I was responding to TXkingfisher and 10 Talents …

Yeah Shellback, I was just trying to clarify which post you were refering too. Mr. Cavo makes a lot of them and I didn’t want to miss a lucid point!

Thanks for the info Shellback. I think I should be okay under the new rules, but I’m going to try like hell to upgrade from 500 to 1600 before the change just to eliminate any possible SNAFU. If it ends up being 1/1/2012 I think I should be able to make it…

No problem TXKF, I have been waiting for a definate date myself and when I saw JD’s post, I knew it was golden…

The checklist is interesting because it contains a requirement for RFPNW assessments for AB’s as a prerequisite for proceeding. I cannot find any SUPPORT for this requirent in the CFR’s for 500 Ton Master. Further, Since BRM is REQUIRED, the RFPNW is rather redundant since most/all of this material is covered under BRM and BRM is arguably a higher level of training than the AB level training contained in RFPNW assessments. Seems to be ANOTHER example of the USCG overreaching on training requirements with no commesurate improvement in skill levels for U.S. Mariners. It cost me $1,000 to go back and do those assessments in the simulator at MPT plus another $800 in travel/hotel/meals etc… Unneccessary. I believe the RFPNW comes from STCW language and the USCG has slipped this requirement in the evaluation process without benefit of rulemaking.

I just upgraded to 500 Master NC and they made me do RFPNW. I did it at MPT at the same time I did my BRM and ARPA.

My friend just did the same upgrade through a different REC and had a different evaluator at NMC and he claims he didnt have to have RFPNW. Maybe you should put in your app without it and be prepared to take the RFPNW within 90 days if required…

[LEFT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2]**requirement and [B]referrence[/B] as noted in the “checklist”[/LEFT]

Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch –
[/SIZE][/FONT][LEFT][B]Assessments ONLY[/B]
[LEFT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2](unless previously met)
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1][B]MLD-WI-CG-[/B]
[B]5434-1[/B]
[B]12.05-3; 12.05-7[/B][/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2]PQEB
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/LEFT]