Upgrade to 1600T master

I know this has been hashed over again and again.

500T/1600T Master NC and Oceans checklist
Master of Towing checklist

I’m coming from a maritime academy 3M Any Gross Tons AGT + TOAR + AB Unlim.

There is some specific wording on the 500T/1600T Master Checklist.

A mariner who qualified for a Mate 500/1600 Near Coastal or Oceans by completing a CG approved program may raise the grade of their endorsement to Master 500 Near Coastal or Oceans by providing 360 days of service as Master/Mate on Ocean or Near Coastal (Up to 180 days may be on inland or Great Lakes) vessels while holding an endorsement as such OF WHICH 180 days must be on vessels over 100GRT. This applies to, but is not limited to graduates of programs at Maine Maritime Academy, S.U.N.Y., PMI and MITAGS.

Question 1: While my time at the Academy was Ocean time, my recent time has been Near Coastal. Will the Master upgrade I apply for be a Near Coastal one, or will it match my original Mate qualification of Oceans from the Academy?

(This is different from the 2M > 1600T route: 360 days on vessels greater than 200T will go from 3M AGT to 2M AGT which has limited test crossover to 1600T Ocean Master; and a different can of worms.)

Question 2: I’ve also heard of a cross-over from 500T Master + Master of towing > 1600T Master. But I can’t find any mention of that route in the check list, or “Structure of Deck Officer Endorsements” diagram. Does that route exist?

Question 3: Are there any other routes to 1600T master that I’ve missed?

thanks!

[QUOTE=mrdrew;123027]I[B]Question 1[/B]: While my time at the Academy was Ocean time, my recent time has been Near Coastal. Will the Master upgrade I apply for be a Near Coastal one, or will it match my original Mate qualification of Oceans from the Academy? [/QUOTE]
See the definition of “Near Coastal” in 46 CFR 10.107: Near coastal [U]means ocean waters [/U]not more than 200 miles offshore. [emphasis added]

[QUOTE=mrdrew;123027][B]Question 2[/B]: I’ve also heard of a cross-over from 500T Master + Master of towing > 1600T Master. But I can’t find any mention of that route in the check list, or “Structure of Deck Officer Endorsements” [/QUOTE]
See 46 CFR 11.412. The only “cross-over” is from 2nd Mate.

[QUOTE=mrdrew;123027][B]Question 3[/B]: Are there any other routes to 1600T master that I’ve missed?[/QUOTE]
No.