Master of Towing Limited to 1600 Master

According to the 1600 Master NMC checklist, after 180 days of having a Master of Towing over 100 grt you can upgrade to 1600 Master. Is this the same if you have a Master of Towing Limited?

[QUOTE=barley;67678]According to the 1600 Master NMC checklist, after 180 days of having a Master of Towing over 100 grt you can upgrade to 1600 Master. Is this the same if you have a Master of Towing Limited?[/QUOTE]

No. The crossover is to Master 500, not Master 1600 and it requires one year, not 6 months. The requirement is also not just that you have service as master or mate on a towing vessel, you must also hold an endorsement as “Master of Towing Vessels” or “Mate (Pilot) of Towing Vessels.” If you have “Master of Towing Vessels, Limited” you would not nmeet this requirement to be “the holder of…”

Was he reading the 1600 Inland checklist?

That checklist reads

“180 days of licensed service as Master of Towing of over 100 GRT.
11.442”

Do you have to take a crossover exam test by chance?

If you are upgrading from MOTV to 500/1600 Master you have to test & it’s a full exam since its a raise in grade.

Even if I already hold a 3rd mate unlimited?

I thought the MOTV to 500 ton master loop hole specifically stated a “crossover exam”, not the full exam.

[QUOTE=Tugted;67758]If you are upgrading from MOTV to 500/1600 Master you have to test & it’s a full exam since its a raise in grade.[/QUOTE]

From the 500-1600 Checklist
"360 days as a Master or Mate of Ocean or N/C Towing Vessel and completion of a limited examination (Limited exam allowed for any Master of T/V with or without tonnage limitation)"

Spoke to the NMC and they said that for inland you if you do have a MOTV Limited you can hold it for 180 days on a vessel over 100 grt and upgrade to Master 1600 grt.

What good is an inland license??

It allows you to run harbor tugs, push boats, etc. Also harbor cruise boats and such. Not completely worthless but very limiting.

[QUOTE=rshrew;67748]Do you have to take a crossover exam test by chance?[/QUOTE]

It’s a “limited” exam. See 46 CFR 11.418(b)

Mr. Cavo, can you tell me what the “limited exam” consists of ? The NMC couldn’t without me sending in a package for evaluation first.

thank you

[QUOTE=captjoe;67894]Mr. Cavo, can you tell me what the “limited exam” consists of ? The NMC couldn’t without me sending in a package for evaluation first. thank you[/QUOTE]

Rules, deck general, deck safety. Deck general is the same exam module for a 2nd Mate to go to Master 1600, deck safety is the same module that is part of the complete set of exams for master 500/1600.

What about terrestrial nav??

No T-nav exam, just the three listed. I have my approval letter for this path.

[QUOTE=Tugted;67918]What about terrestrial nav??[/QUOTE]

Ted aren’t you going for a 1600 Oceans?

This sounds pretty darn good based on what Mr. Cavo stated. I may be upgrading my MOTV NC Unlimited soon.

I was also under the impression that you had to take the whole battery of tests again. I had heard from a pretty reliable source that they were making some changes to the upgrade path from MOTV Unlimited NC Licenses, to 500/1600 NC Licenses, regarding a limited exam. Here is what I have dug around and found. I also included the Oceans part for people that might be interested. Maybe Mr.Cavo can verify that this is the path a guy might take to 500/1600 if he holds the MOTV NC Unlimited, With Proper STCW, Firefighting and Lifeboatman.

[B]4.2.3 License Endorsement Requirements (IAW 46CFR11.401)
[/B]
[ol]
[li] In order to obtain a master or mate endorsement with a tonnage limit above 200 gross tons, or an endorsement for 200 gross tons or less with an ocean route, whether an original, raise in grade, or increase in the scope of the endorsement authority to a higher tonnage category, the applicant must successfully complete the following training and examination requirements:[/li][/ol]
(1) Approved firefighting course;
(2) Approved radar-observer course; and
(3) Qualification as an able seaman unlimited or able seaman limited (able seaman special or able seaman offshore supply vessels satisfy the able seaman requirement for endorsements permitting service on vessels of 1,600 gross tons or less).

[ol]
[li] Each applicant for a deck officer endorsement, which authorizes service on vessels above 1,600 gross tons on ocean or near-coastal waters, whether original or raise of grade, must pass a practical-signaling examination (flashing light). An applicant who fails in practical signaling, but passes every other part of the examination, may be issued an endorsement with a 1,600 gross ton limitation. The tonnage limitation can be removed upon successful completion of the signaling examination.[/li][/ol]

[B]46CFR 11.418(b): [/B][FONT=Times New Roman]Applicants holding an endorsement as Master or Mate Pilot of Towing Vessels Oceans or Near Coastal who meet the sea service requirement can raise the grade of their license to Master NMT 500 GRT on the same route, and [/FONT][B]ONLY [/B][FONT=Times New Roman]the following modules are required:
MODULE NUMBER OF QUESTIONS MINIMUM SCORE
Rules of the Road: International and Inland 50 90
Deck General 70 70
Deck Safety and Environmental Protection 50 70

• SERVICE REQUIREMENT for MASTER NMT 1600 46CFR 11.412
    Endorsement - MASTER Tonnage Group- NMT 500/1600 GROSS REGISTERED TONS
    Route- OCEANS Action- INCREASE IN SCOPE (from NC)
    MODULES NUMBER OF QUESTIONS MINIMUM SCORE
    Navigation Problems: Oceans 15 80
    Navigation General 20 70
    [/FONT]

I took this limited Exam,The last Mod I got was Cheif Mate Unlimited Oceans 70 questions,so make sure you study the right stuff,Great Circle ,Bowditch,etc…