USCG alternative path to ETO

Hi fellow members,

I have worked in the offshore industry on MODU’s for more than 10 years in field service and in the last 4 years as an ET (logged in my Seaman’s book). My employer has mentioned that come the end of 2016 I would be required sign on the vessel as an ETO. This is something I have been interested in but I have never seen anything in black in white as to how I achieve the result. I know that I need to get a TWIC card then apply for my MMC since I currently only hold a Liberian seaman’s book.

My chief on board seems to think that all I am required to do is send my logged sea time to the USCG, provide certificates for my STCW 95 courses (first aid, CBSP, fire fighting, FRC, etc) including high voltage marine course and that should be about it.

Has anyone been through the process and can shed some light on it for me?

Regards,

Kurt

[QUOTE=kurtbelyeu;174137]Hi fellow members,

I have worked in the offshore industry on MODU’s for more than 10 years in field service and in the last 4 years as an ET (logged in my Seaman’s book). My employer has mentioned that come the end of 2016 I would be required sign on the vessel as an ETO. This is something I have been interested in but I have never seen anything in black in white as to how I achieve the result. I know that I need to get a TWIC card then apply for my MMC since I currently only hold a Liberian seaman’s book.

My chief on board seems to think that all I am required to do is send my logged sea time to the USCG, provide certificates for my STCW 95 courses (first aid, CBSP, fire fighting, FRC, etc) including high voltage marine course and that should be about it.

Has anyone been through the process and can shed some light on it for me?

Regards,

Kurt[/QUOTE]

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/2014/nvic-23-14.pdf

[QUOTE=jdcavo;174473]http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/2014/nvic-23-14.pdf[/QUOTE]

Thanks… just wanted to follow up that I have received my ETO CoC.

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

Were you required to take a Radio Elec class? Or Integrated Navigation Equipment? I have the rest of the classes on the checklist and tried submitting the NVIC tasksheets, they told me I was needed to take the class too?.. I haven’t been able to find any of the above classes either.

thanks,
-P

I can’t seem to log in due to gCaptains retarded password policy so i’m
responding by email.

I wasn’t required to do any of those courses since I used the alternative
path due to my many years on board MODU’s working as an ET and
Electrician. What I was required to do was get assessments signed off for
each of these areas by the Chief Engineer. Then all I need was the general
seafarers classes (ff, sea survival, etc).

Kurt

Thanks so much Kurt. Yeah I’m still fighting the USCG on this, they don’t want to accept my sign offs NVIC task control sheets. I’ve been told that writing a letter about my experience as ET and having it signed by Master, Chief Eng, Marine Superintendent etc… may be more of what they are looking for but that’s something I’m still looking into. Have you went to any good electronics schools that you could recommend to me?

thanks,
-P

Hi Patrick,

Give me a couple days and i’ll get the forms together… send me an email is kurt@cnw.com