Electro-technical Officer Qualifications

I guess this deserves another thread. What kind of qualifications do Electro-technical Officers require? I’m guessing TWIC and MMC documents are a starter. The FCC GMDSS Radio Maintainer’s License sounds likely, as do a FCC GROL and radar endorsement. Where do these folks land? Platform supply vessels in the oil patch sound likely. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

–Bruce

We have ETO’s onboard many of our vessels. The current STCW rules are vague on the required classes. Most everyone is waiting on guidance from the CG so schools can make up the course material. Currently we will hire them with MMC and TWIC and the appropriate prior experience. I believe once hired they will be required to obtain at least a QMED electrician rating. Although with recent rule changes that rating may no longer exist. Either way in the interim it will not hinder someone experienced from getting a job.

[QUOTE=rbc;139481]I guess this deserves another thread. What kind of qualifications do Electro-technical Officers require? I’m guessing TWIC and MMC documents are a starter. The FCC GMDSS Radio Maintainer’s License sounds likely, as do a FCC GROL and radar endorsement. Where do these folks land? Platform supply vessels in the oil patch sound likely. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, --Bruce[/QUOTE]

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=5aeecc927da835fa0efcb1e11de57349&node=46:1.0.1.2.11.3.7.20&rgn=div8

Years in coming but too many guys playing with high voltage systems fried themselves, so the qualification will be something to do with that I would think?
And computers/ networking ( but thats a whole career in itself) are the other areas becoming an issue on vessels

[QUOTE=powerabout;139516]Years in coming but too many guys playing with high voltage systems fried themselves, so the qualification will be something to do with that I would think?
And computers/ networking ( but thats a whole career in itself) are the other areas becoming an issue on vessels[/QUOTE]

From the link I provided and you didn’t read:

(4) Provide evidence of having satisfactorily completed approved professional training in the following subject areas:
(i) Onboard computer networking and security.

(vi) High-voltage power systems.

Go to the link in my previous post to see the rest of the requirements.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;139506]http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=5aeecc927da835fa0efcb1e11de57349&node=46:1.0.1.2.11.3.7.20&rgn=div8[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the official word on this. I’ll check it out. I’m curious. What is the difference between national and STCW endorsements?

Up to the flag state to meet or exceed stcw95 so hence you get an internationally recognised cert.
( the USA, is generally allergic to stcw95 where costs to vessels owners are impacted)
Of course next step is for manning lists to include this new ticket
Most countries have local trade tickets for small non foreign going vessels, national/regional/state based etc.

Which endorsements are mandatory from a regulatory standpoint. Just the national endorsements? I assume the employers also get to say which endorsements are mandatory for a given position.

I’ve been doing some more reading. It looks like the applicability of the national and STCW ratings depend on where the ship sails. I still have a lot of reading to do though :wink: