Training Prior to MMC/Endoresements

I just have a few question my application should arrive at the NMC anytime now.

I applied for the following on my MMD, orignal MMC; entry level, when I get my MMD I will apply for the following:

First Radio Electronics Technician

Second Radio Electronics Technician

Electronics Technician(this one I know requires STCW 95 w RFPEW, QMED, and GMDSS)

*For the Electronics Technician position if I have to get these certification how do I go about obtaining them while they are reviewing my application so that I can save time and be proactive?

Thanks this is much appreciated.

I don’t really know anything about the certifications that you are talking about but this may help. When I was applying for approval to test for my Chief Mate Unlimited I sent in all the paperwork a month and a half before I knew I would have all the requirements. I did that because you have 60 days to rectify all the problems they find with your application. So go ahead and send it in so you can get reviewed and move through the security process and have as little down time as possible. Good luck

[I][quote=lboogie1977;26949]
I applied for the following on my MMD, orignal MMC; entry level, when I get my MMD I will apply for the following:

First Radio Electronics Technician

Second Radio Electronics Technician

Electronics Technician(this one I know requires STCW 95 w RFPEW, QMED, and GMDSS)[/quote][/I]

With whom, or where did you, or do you intend to apply for the “technician” stuff?

Call MAMA, ask for John Sitka.
http://www.mamatrains.com/

[quote=10talents;26970]Call MAMA, ask for John Sitka.
http://www.mamatrains.com/[/quote]

And then post the answer here.

I seem to remember something about GMDSS, that one can have the certification from the FCC, but that doesn’t mean that it will automatically become an STCW certification (or endorsement, or whatever) later on. I believe that one needs to do GMDSS course through a USCG school in order to receive that on an STCW. Am I making sense? For example, if one self-studied to get a GMDSS qualification from the FCC, then took that endorsement to the USCG and asked to be issued a document based on that FCC license, it wouldn’t meet the USCG standard and the request would be turned down. One needs to do the training through USCG approved schools.

I’d ask a lot (!) of questions about your situation and your goals.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

First of all, none of the jobs you mention have open announcements on the MSC website so they aren’t hiring now.

Getting GMDSS certified is done by going to a USCG approved school, there is one for operator and one for maintainer, I suspect you need the maintainer or maybe both.

As far as getting STCW 95 w RFPEW, QMED that’s a long haul and from what you wrote in your other thread it couldn’t happen for you for a very long time and expense.

I wrote to a friend of mine that is the Comms Officer on an MSC ship and if he okeys it I’ll give you his email address, also I gave him copy of your questions on both the threads you started. Stay tuned to this channel:)

My friend already answered:

…first of all, he must get an entry level Z-card.
Instead of giving him my email address, I’ll sit down and
answer his questions as best I can and return them to you
for transfer to him. It would’nt be a lateral conversion for him,
he would probably step down to GS5 and start working his
way up again, with the top of the RET ladder being GS11,
like myself. I’ll answer back later…

Standby to standby…

[QUOTE=10talents;26970]Call MAMA, ask for John Sitka.
http://www.mamatrains.com/[/QUOTE]

John Sitka is a good dude, George Treauxbridge at Quality Maritime is another whose answers I would trust.

Final comment from my MSC Comm Officer friend…the questions wore him out just reading through them! Here is his short answer:

“He needs to contact MSC recruiters to get answers. I could spend hours
answering these questions, and it probably wouldn’t be good
enough. Best bet for him, keep his comfy 8 to 5 government
shore type job. If he is serious, tell him that for an RET
all you need is an entry-level MMD. No endorsements or
licenses required.”

I just got accepted to Cal Maritime, which I am very happy about, but there is one thing that is troubling me . It seems that I am colorblind to some degre. According to the Ishihara test anyway. In real life I can see colors just fine, but I can’t pass that test with the dots. I can look into corrective lenses but I do not know if I will be allowed to wear them during the test. Does anybody have some feedback on this? What are the prospects for a Marine Transportation major in my position?

A) This isn’t the right discussion to be asking that question in.
B) Go see an eye doctor.

@Jeffrox,

Thanks Sir and everyone else for the quick replies it is greatly appreciated. I was former navy on an Aircraft Carrier the 2 tops positions I know I qualify for is the RET either 1st or 2nd or Electronics Technician do either one of these rates require an endorsement or license? Or is a basic entry level MMD all is that is needed? I will be loosing 25k sallary from shore to ship how is overtime in these rates? Will it make up that difference. MY goal is to travel the world again, save money, while gaining more knowledge in IT on the Navy technical side for a few years then tranfer back to shore government in about 4-5 years, I am leaning more into the Logistic IT realm on the Navy side but i need more experience on the equipment that is out to sea, So when I am done with MSC i can transfer to a shore site that works on the ships. Again thanks to all who replied.

[B]None of these job announcements are open. From the MSC website:[/B]

[B]Second Radio Electronics Technician[/B]

[B]MMD/MMC Requirements[/B]

[U]Entry-level endorsement and must be able to obtain/maintain a Top-Secret Security Clearance.[/U]

[B]First Radio Electronics Technician[/B]

[U]Entry-level endorsement and must be able to obtain/maintain a Top-Secret Security Clearance.[/U]

[B]Electronics Technician[/B]

[U]Entry-level endorsement.[/U]

[U]

[/U]