STCW 95 Confusion

Hello all…Martilyo here,

I have a question (big surprise) about the STCW 95 Certificate. When I applied to MSC for Second Electrician this certificate was not required. However, it is required for Unlicensed Engineer and all of the other Assistant Engineering positions. I cannot find information of how to obtain this certification. Nothing I have found is cut and dry. It is more confusing than anything. Why would these positions require STCW 95 and not QMED Electricians? Also how does STCW 95 differ than RFPEW? I am all about advancement and would like to get as many qualifications as I can. My goal, once hired by MSC, is to move up to Chief Electrician and then to 3 A/E. Your guys help is greatly appreciated!

Most of the confusion is because companies like to refer to BST (basic safety training) as “STCW 95” even though STCW is a lot of stuff. RFPEW and OICEW are all a part of STCW 95… But it is a safe very that they mean BST and I dont know why it would be required for some jobs and not others. Especially when I was under the impression that they made everyone redo BST upon being hired anyway.

[QUOTE=Martilyo;59115]Hello all…Martilyo here,

I have a question (big surprise) about the STCW 95 Certificate. When I applied to MSC for Second Electrician this certificate was not required. However, it is required for Unlicensed Engineer and all of the other Assistant Engineering positions. I cannot find information of how to obtain this certification. Nothing I have found is cut and dry. It is more confusing than anything. Why would these positions require STCW 95 and not QMED Electricians? Also how does STCW 95 differ than RFPEW? I am all about advancement and would like to get as many qualifications as I can. My goal, once hired by MSC, is to move up to Chief Electrician and then to 3 A/E. Your guys help is greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

QMED-Electrician is not a watch stander, so you would not need RFPEW. Assistant Engineer and the other positions you were told require STCW are probably watch standing, and would require RFPEW. You probably need Basic Safety Training as it is unlikely that you do not have any dutioes associated with safety and pollution prevention. MSC has an RFPEW program that would let you qualify for this while working in a position that doesn’t require RFPEW.

Thanks for the response. I will try to go to a BST class.

Martilyo

Even if you don’t get into MSC it is becoming a basic requirement to get any maritime job these days it seems.

Unless you go to an academy or Piney point. You are better off taking the class. Especially if you want to be competitive.

Good info to know… Any other classes I should take along with BST? I have my QMED-Electrician endorsement and want to advance to 3 A/E at some point. Thanks for your help guys!

Martilyo

[QUOTE=Martilyo;59157]Thanks for the response. I will try to go to a BST class.

Martilyo[/QUOTE]

Why waste your money, you’ve been told at least twice before that MSC will send you to BST. If MSC is where you’re going don’t pay for BST. If you are going to work elsewhere, then pay for and take BST ASAP.

1 Like

I must have misunderstood. Someone said that the training at MSC was not BST. If it works for the certification then I won’t waste my 500.00+ dollars. Thanks for the response.