Electro-Technical Officer ETO Approved Courses?

I am interested in obtaining an ETO certification. Under the new rules, I need to obtain the following.

(4) Provide evidence of having satisfactorily completed approved professional training in the following subject areas:
(i) Onboard computer networking and security.
(ii) Radio electronics.
(iii) Integrated navigation equipment.
(iv) Ship propulsion and auxiliary machinery.
(v) Instrumentation and control systems.
(vi) High-voltage power systems.

What exactly are the “approved” courses? Approved by USCG? Is there a list of schools with approved courses?

Thanks in Advance.

1 Like

[QUOTE=martinelmar;182821]What exactly are the “approved” courses? Approved by USCG? [/QUOTE]

See the definition of [I]Approved [/I]and [I]Approved training[/I] in 46 CFR 10.107.

[QUOTE=martinelmar;182821]Is there a list of schools with approved courses?[/QUOTE]
Yes, there is.

See also.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;182872]See the definition of [I]Approved [/I]and [I]Approved training[/I] in 46 CFR 10.107.

Yes, there is.

See also.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, the approved courses list, I am aware of it. Except it doesn’t seem to include all the courses. I guess I’ll just assume no one’s been approved yet with 8 months to go prior to the rule change. I guess I should have just started my research hereand herefirst and I would have found all the answers I needed. Have a wonderful day.

1 Like

7 years later and I have almost the exact same question. I checked the approved courses list and Ctrl+F’d for

46 CFR 11.335

And went through the list. The only approved classes are for 46 CFR 11.335(a)(3)(i) Medical Care Provider, and 46 CFR 11.335(a)(4)(vi) High Voltage Safety.

The ETO STCW then calls for

not less than 12 months of combined workshop skills training and approved seagoing service of which not less than 6 months shall be seagoing service as part of an approved training programme which meets the requirements of section A-III/6 of the STCW Code and is documented in an approved training record book, or otherwise not less than 36 months of combined workshop skills training and approved seagoing service of which not less than 30 months shall be seagoing service in the engine department;

So if there aren’t any approved classes for the other areas, (4)(i) through (4)(v), the only way to become an ETO is through relevant seatime experience? Which doesn’t really exist outside of being an ET at Sealift Command? Or through outside experience like getting a degree in instrumentation and controls?

I’m interested in taking this route but not knowing how to go about it is frustrating.

I noticed that 46 CFR 11.335(a)(3)(ii) and 46 CFR 11.335(a)(3)(iii) classes were missing from the approved course list too. Is the list exhaustive? At the top it says it’s updated every Wednesday so to me that is a yes, but there’s obviously got to be ways to do advanced firefighting and proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats so what am I missing?

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-46/chapter-I/subchapter-B/part-11/subpart-C/section-11.335

There’s an ET rating you can get before becoming an ET officer.

46 CFR 12.611

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. My questions still stand though.

Again I’ll quote the ETO STCW

not less than 12 months of combined workshop skills training and approved seagoing service of which not less than 6 months shall be seagoing service as part of an approved training programme

Where is one supposed to take an approved training programme when the approved courses list contains no courses that cover anything other than high voltage safety?

And again how can one cover 46 CFR 11.335(a)(4)(i) through (v)?

The same question applies for the ETR CFR

46 CFR 12.611(a)(2)(ii)

Proof of successful completion of a Coast Guard-approved or -accepted program, which includes not less than 6 months of approved seagoing service

There are no classes that cover this from the approved list. Unless it is referring to completion of a prior program like many attend at the beginning of their careers like SIU or an academy?

There is nothing in the approved courses list that covers 46 CFR 12.611(a)(4)(i) either

You don’t need to meet that. Just meet 46 CFR 12.611(a)(2)(i), 12.611(a)(3), and 12.611(a)(4).

“Twelve months of seagoing service, that includes training and experience associated with engine room watchkeeping functions and involves the performance of duties carried out under the supervision of an engineer officer, electro-technical officer, or a qualified STCW engine rating;”

Why not quote the relevant section?

“Provide evidence of 36 months combined workshop skills training and approved seagoing service of which not less than 30 months must be seagoing service in the engine department of vessels. Experience gained in the deck department may be creditable for up to 3 months of the service requirements”

:man_shrugging: If no school sees a market in making classes for ETOs then I guess you’re screwed. Maybe the only way to become one at this point is to get an OICEW as well.

1 Like

Not sure if there’s even a reason, but as a DPO that has command of K-Chief from the bridge, I should be able to get ETO – right?

Not if you do not meet 46 CFR 11.335.

Are you suggesting that using equipment qualifies you to repair it?

1 Like

Based on high turnover and the lack of qualified ETs, yes. I regularly guide ETs and Engineers through troubleshooting IAS.

What about the high voltage training, thats one of the main reasons the STCW got involved as too many sparkys frying themselves in high voltage equipped vessels

That’s part of the required classes. What was being discussed before was just the sea time requirement.

1 Like