Opportunities for an American ETO?

Hi guys, what (if any) opportunities exist for a marine electronics technician with an ETO endorsement in his MMC?

I’m aware of the ARA and it’s contracts, but I am wondering if there is any possibility of working international either on cargo ships or in the oil & gas industry. Maybe even survey vessels? Also, anything domestic or US-flagged, other than the ARA and MSC vessels?

I am a long time marine electronics tech, but newer to shipboard/sailing part of the industry.

I’d really appreciate any insight you’d be willing to share. Thanks in advance!

Are you saying you have a STCW III/6 Electro Technical Officer?

I am in the process of getting that, yes.

once you have that you can go anywhere.
Make sure you are up to speed with PLC’s

1 Like

Right on, that’s good to know.

Is there any good money to be made internationally specifically as a American ETO, or will companies simply hire Indian ETO’s and pay them relative pennies?

If you can get onto a modern vessel you should get real wages.
Avoid PSV and AHTS as the day rates are so low they wont pay

Hey Guam any updates on this? How’d it go, were you able to get your ETO? The market for them seems great. Any tips for becoming one? I might make a separate thread about this because I can’t seem to find information on how to become one anywhere, at least in the US.

1 Like

Most argue this, but the most important person/skillset on any modern complex ship (cruise ship, drill ship, LNG carrier, etc) is the ETO with automation/instrumentation skills. Nothing happens without him when stuff breaks. Captain, chief, easy to replace or have lower person move up. Finding somebody with the automation skills that knows the countless jury-rigging that’s been going on to get the ship moving…not so easy.

In the USA, the ETO really has not been embraced as the senior engineers are expected to cover the duties, which very few are actually competent in the skillset (few even understand the basics of 4-20mA, as proven by a guy trying to troubleshoot a loop by measuring voltage).

Also, most USA flagged ships are much simpler in regards to automation, so everybody overlooks the importance of strong instrumentation and automation skills. People just don’t know what they don’t know.

2 Likes

Hey man, not really any updates.
I’ve been happily sailing as EO on US-flagged container ships and MSC GOCO (union crewed) ships.
Its an awesome niche career and pays very well, but I have always dreamed of working on interesting foreign vessels in exotic locales… for example, in the oil fields of Borneo or West Australia, or sailing on ULCVs plying the Europe / East Asia lanes.
I don’t think its going to happen, though! Too many ETOs in the foreign fleets that will do the job for $6k USD a month.

This is all true, and well said. With the direction that automated ships look to be headed, methinks the ETO of the future will be the ‘captain’ of the future.

1 Like

Did you get the actual ETO endorsement or do they just hire based on your experience and training?

Also, what union?

If I were to guess…the ARA (American Radio Association). They represent EO’s.

AMO has ETO’s as well

Yes, the AMO has ETO’s. But with regards to @Guam_Haole, in another thread he stated he worked for Matson (and also Patriot) which are not AMO contracted companies.

1 Like

Hornbeck Offshore carries ETOs on their MPSV fleet