Upgrade to Chief Mate and 1600T Master

I’m going to submit my packet to upgrade to Chief Mate here pretty soon, and I’m going to apply for 1600T Master as well. I don’t see any problems with being approved for it, but does anyone know if you end up taking the 1 test for 1600T Master along with all of the CM tests? I would think if you pass the Chief Mate exam that the 1600T stuff is covered in there, but I’m not sure.

From 46CFR “(b) An applicant holding a license or MMC endorsement as chief mate or second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of over 1600 gross tons is eligible for this endorsement upon completion of a limited examination.”

I read that as you should have to take the 1 general subjects for the 1600 Master. You can always verify with the NMC as well.

[QUOTE=“dredgeboater;94599”]

From 46CFR “(b) An applicant holding a license or MMC endorsement as chief mate or second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of over 1600 gross tons is eligible for this endorsement upon completion of a limited examination.”

I read that as you should have to take the 1 general subjects for the 1600 Master. You can always verify with the NMC as well.[/QUOTE]

Seeing as how the chief mate exam is also the exam for master unlimited I don’t see why one would need to also take the crossover exam.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;94607]Seeing as how the chief mate exam is also the exam for master unlimited I don’t see why one would need to also take the crossover exam.[/QUOTE]

That was my thought as well. But the CFR that dredgeboater posted says Chief mate, but that also means if you already have the license, not applying for the upgrade.

I took applied for 1600 Master with my 2/M and had to take the crossover. A phone call to NMC could clear it up or it could give you a hellacious migraine.

[QUOTE=dredgeboater;94615]I took applied for 1600 Master with my 2/M and had to take the crossover. A phone call to NMC could clear it up or it could give you a hellacious migraine.[/QUOTE]

I have a hellacious migraine already from scanning in these 50+ pages of assessments!

At least you don’t have to spend almost all your time off for a calendar year taking the courses.

There could be Chief Mates out there that took the exam pre 2002 before the CM and master exam was combined and for them taking the 1600 master crossover would seem relavent. For someone taking the combined CM/M test it does’t seem relavent.

Yea no kidding. Although I ended up taking half of them - started before they got rid of them.

[QUOTE=“Jeffrox;94673”]There could be Chief Mates out there that took the exam pre 2002 before the CM and master exam was combined and for them taking the 1600 master crossover would seem relavent. For someone taking the combined CM/M test it does’t seem relavent.[/QUOTE]

True, I meant people that took the combined test like the OP will be.

[QUOTE=New3M;94587]I’m going to submit my packet to upgrade to Chief Mate here pretty soon, and I’m going to apply for 1600T Master as well. I don’t see any problems with being approved for it, but does anyone know if you end up taking the 1 test for 1600T Master along with all of the CM tests? I would think if you pass the Chief Mate exam that the 1600T stuff is covered in there, but I’m not sure.[/QUOTE]

The chief mate unlimited test was combined with that for master unlimited. Since you’re taking the master unlimited exam, you should not need additional tests for master 1600.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;94730]The chief mate unlimited test was combined with that for master unlimited. Since you’re taking the master unlimited exam, you should not need additional tests for master 1600.[/QUOTE]

That’s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!