1600 Master's Test Question?!

I am applying to test for my 1600 Master’s Crossover Exam. I hold a Unlimited Third Mate ticket, and I wanted to ask if I had to fill out this Coast Guard from for an original license or is it just an upgrade? Don’t you get a 100 ton Captain license with your Third’s? If anyone can help me out on this, I’d really appreciate it, I’m trying to get this filled out and sent out before I leave for work. Thanks again.

Chris

Hi Chris,
Sounds like you are applying for a Raise-in-Grade. And yes, your 3rd Mate does allow you to act in the capacity of Master on vessels less than 100 GT.
Regards,
Jill

[quote=shipshape08;25735]I am applying to test for my 1600 Master’s Crossover Exam. I hold a Unlimited Third Mate ticket, and I wanted to ask if I had to fill out this Coast Guard from for an original license or is it just an upgrade? [B][U]Don’t you get a 100 ton Captain license with your Third’s[/U][/B]? If anyone can help me out on this, I’d really appreciate it, I’m trying to get this filled out and sent out before I leave for work. Thanks again.

Chris[/quote]

You don’t actually get anything in writing, it’s in the CFR’s and as Danzante wrote it’s for “less than 100 tons”. Search the threads on here, it’s been discussed ad naseum…Sounds like upgrade to me too as you already have your original license.

[QUOTE=shipshape08;25735]I am applying to test for my 1600 Master’s Crossover Exam. I hold a Unlimited Third Mate ticket, and I wanted to ask if I had to fill out this Coast Guard from for an original license or is it just an upgrade? Don’t you get a 100 ton Captain license with your Third’s? If anyone can help me out on this, I’d really appreciate it, I’m trying to get this filled out and sent out before I leave for work. Thanks again.

Chris[/QUOTE]

I assume you’re also applying for 2/M? You would apply for both 2/M and 1600 Master, then take the crossover exam for 1600 Master. As Jill says, it would be a raise in grade.

[I][quote=Jeffrox;25782]You don’t actually get anything in writing, it’s in the CFR’s and as Danzante wrote it’s for “less than 100 tons”. Search the threads on here, it’s been discussed ad naseum…Sounds like upgrade to me too as you already have your original license.[/quote][/I]

You don’t “get” the Master 100 Tons license, your 3rd Mate license allows you to work as Master on vessels less than 100 Gross Tons, see
46 CFR 15.901(a)

Third Mate to 2nd Mate/Master 1600 GRT is a raise in grade.

alright, sounds good everyone thank you very much, I sent in the papers! Let’s just hope it’s all correct so I don’t have to wait longer, back to the grind in the good ole state of Louisiana, later.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;25802][I][/I]

You don’t “get” the Master 100 Tons license, your 3rd Mate license allows you to work as Master on vessels less than 100 Gross Tons, see
46 CFR 15.901(a)

Third Mate to 2nd Mate/Master 1600 GRT is a raise in grade.[/QUOTE]

Is it me, or is there an echo in here?

Just reinforcing. If enough people say it, it has to be true, right?

any place is good where the jobs are at