Understanding China

Oh yes there are. At least there were some at a shipyard in Dalian where they were building rigs for a Mexican company I did some work for.
They didn’t feel oppressed or discriminated against at all. The only thing they complained about was the cold weather in the winter and the that taste of the food in the “Mexican restaurants” in town was not right. (Taco Bell etc.)

PS> The Chinese wall didn’t work either. The Mongol hordes got through and ruled China for centuries. They eventually got absorbed into the Chinese society though.
Maybe there is a lesson there??

1 Like

OK I found the answer; If you work an/or pay tax in Norway the contribution is deducted directly from your salary by your employer It is part of your tax and not specified on your payslip.
If you live and work outside Norway you can also pay dues as a volunteer member to ensure that you maintain your rights to benefits and pension in Norway.
Details can be found here:

The employer also contribute towards Folketrygden according to this info from the Tax Administration:
https://www.skatteetaten.no/en/rates/employers-national-insurance-contributions/

PS> Even if you for some reason, like disability from birth/early age etc. never work or pay contribution you are entitled to support under some scheme or another.
For housewifes or others that doesn’t have paid work, or citizens/residents in Norway with short time living in Norway, it is the number of years of abode that counts to calculate pension payment >67, but everybody is entitle to some. (Nobody is allowed to starve, or go unprotected in Norway)

1 Like

Again; how long before somebody gets killed in these riots?:

In the unlikely event that China just cut HK lose and allow them to try independence, what will the US do to assist?
Or rather how much will the US contribute to the upkeep of HK when China close the border, shut down food and water supply and block trade with HK?
Trump would probably claim he has no knowledge of HK (probably right) and it is not US problem. China will have to handle their own problems.

I think the Chinese plan for HK is all about showing Taiwan how it might work even in times of stress

3 Likes

You don’t do business with the Chinese, you determine how much you want to get taken advantage of and what course of action, usually none, that you can take against then should the deals go sour.

I’m Chinese. I don’t ever intend to do business with anyone from over there after hearing a couple of horror stories and experiencing a few for myself. That’s not just Chinese in China but Chinese in general.

American news has a glee and cheerful optimism that is centered around cherry picking survivorship bias stories that reads like Disney tales when the real stories would make most vomit. I wonder how many generations of delusional entrepreneurs in USA will aspire to be like Jack Ma because of internet memes on how a guy who failed so many times and a cardboard box from Amazon looking better than his face can become a billionaire thinking it’s just all hardwork, dedication, and never giving up… On kissing the Government’s rear end and getting in bed with certain officials to get that free Uncle Xi money to do whatever necessary. Same goes for all successful Chinese Government funded startups (all of them).

A lie told often enough becomes the truth. China blows, seek business elsewhere away from Asia in general. India is worse. Without some deep political connections, most are bringing a knife to a gunfight.

2 Likes

China and India have their faults for sure but what I find fascinating is the hypocrisy of the USA defenders. No one held a gun to any US business and forced them to move to China they moved the jobs and business gladly, some even got tax breaks to do so. They reap the profits to this day. You might want to ask your congress critter how he/she let that happen OR you could check on the “campaign contributions” AKA bribes they received and answer the question yourself. Currently manufacturing is a VERY small and declineing part of the USA’s GDP. Additionally people forget that at one time the USA was no better than China or any other country trying to climb the ladder.

If the USA would adopt a national ndustrial policy such as used to exist and still currently exists in many European countries it may be possible to slow the bleeding but the sheer numbers of people, the money being poured into research and education by China will put them at the front of the pack.

2 Likes

How come the US media and authorities are so caught up in the HK riots where nobody have been killed and the Central Government in Beijing has kept from interfering? (In both cases; so far),
There are much worse riots in Iraq, which is almost a ward of the US, (which HK have never been and hopefully never will become) but there is not much criticism of the heavy handed treatment of the protesters there.

Could it have something to do with the fact that the US have soldiers there and have supplied the weapons now used against civilians?
Besides, the US interference in Iraqi affairs goes back to the Iraq War and subsequent occupation. That is the cause of much of the troubles that now plague not only Iraq but the entire region.
OK I know you will say that the root goes back to the days of Prophet Mohamed and beyond, which is true, but the present troubles is with a corrupt and inefficient government and the lack of support to rebuild the country after the war.

There is also riots in Beirut, Barcelona, Chile and other places where the US is, or has been, heavily involved, but is now wisely staying out.
How come the same don’t apply to HK, which is an internal Chinese problem with no effect on US security or economy?
PS> Forgot the riots in La Paz (But then Bolivia is probably not a favourit country for the US Administration)

Many things that previously put the USA ahead have been underfunded for a long time.
It’s getting worse. I am always amused when I hear, “We cannot to pay for basic research, we cannot afford more scholarships, how will we pay for it?” But I never hear “How are we going to pay for the next multi–billion dollar aircraft carrier, trillion dollar F-35 or maintain bases in over 80 countries!”
Goodness knows it is not about the debt. The last two years has proven no one cares about the debt in the USA. It is a matter of priorities.

The average person in the USA could give a rat’s ass whether people riot in Hong Kong or Iraq. The news broadcasters find it interesting and after all if you are going to cover a riot wouldn’t you rather do it in Hong Kong as opposed to Baghdad?
Most US citizens would rather get the hell out of the middle east and couldn’t find Hong Kong if given a map. They are tired of seeing their children go die for no discernible reason in countries where they don’t like us anyway. The US war in Afghanistan has been going on for 18 years. Soon young folks will be fighting there in a war that was started before they were born. Other than making military contractors, lobbyists and their lackeys in congress rich there seems to be no point. But when there are wars going on officers make rank quicker so you got that plus IF you are an officer. The USA has no good reason to be in the middle east. For sure it is not to support "democracy’ as the US’s biggest ally over is Saudi Arabia which is about as close to being a democracy as Mohammad is to being a Mormon.

2 Likes

And then there is this; is there any limit to what US companies will go to to make a profit??:

yeah as far as I know, none have poisoned baby formula in order to make the protein content higher…that seems to be a line they aren’t willing to cross.

And by the way…of all the ridiculous ideas that you’ve espoused here…to try to imply that Chinese companies won’t cut corners in the name of profit has to be one of the most outrageous. And that’s even by the high bar of outrageous-ness that you have established here.

I stand corrected…

So let’s see…riots start because Beijing wants to interfere in ALL things HK related, and because they haven’t stepped in and started killing everyone, that qualifies as “Beijing has kept from interfering”

wow…just wow

Would it help if given multiple choices?
A: Canada
B: China
C: Chile
Tick only one box

So then it has happened; the first death attributed to the present round of protests in HK.
No he was not shot or beaten to death by police or pro-Beijing thugs, he fell when participating in violent demonstrations and in an attempting to escape from the police:

In response the students trashed their campus and the Dean’s resident :roll_eyes:

The exact circumstances around his fall is not know, but investigations are underway.

It is sad that a promising young life is lost, but it doesn’t help to trash public and private property, or to attack police officers doing their best to avoid violent confrontations, while also trying to protect the general public from harm:

But of course nothing can convince the general public in the US (those that read or watch any foreign news) that it isn’t the evil Commies in China that is killing innocent students that only want to live in a democratic paradise similar to what they enjoy at home.

Tiananmen Square
What the world knows about a power dictatorships…
prior to that was Mao

Yes Tienanmen square incident was bad but it was also a turning point and happened 30 years ago.
How many innocent civilian lives have been lost in riot control, drone strikes and unnecessary wars around the world since then??

you mean governments killing their own people or wars…

Both and worldwide.
This includes killings by any name you wish to use; genocide, democide, homicide, or collateral damages from armed conflicts, or covert operations.