China & Russia to attack Hawaii?

I would expect a headline like this from The Onion but not from Yahoo News while checking my email? The fear of such a thing could keep a lot of US mariners working until it blew over.

Hmmm. . . . interesting. . .

Taiwan is wrangling to line up the USA as a military ally, to prevent what happened to Hong Kong from happening to it. The prospect of China attacking Hawaii is vanishingly small. The prospect of Taiwan calling on the USA to save it from Chinese invasion is a given. The specter of Russia is thrown in there for bonus points.

My guess is Japan has vested business interests in Taiwan, which they would lose if China reabsorbed it.

2 Likes

I agree with this. I’m more surprised that pro-China Yahoo News would publish it. An attack on Hawaii was the farthest thing from my mind when pondering US/China/Russia relations but it appears some were thinking of it which is scarey.

The question I think about lately is what will happen when China invades Taiwan, and Taiwan calls on us to help. The gentleman’s agreement between us and China to let Taiwan do its own thing as long as we don’t recognize it as a country is quickly falling part.

1 Like

It depends on who your president is when this happens.

4 Likes

Roughly the same thing that happened when Russia invaded Ukraine - a fait accompli.

It’s just not worth defending Taiwan any more. When the United States committed itself to defending Taiwan from China things were different. China was a poor, backwards basket case after years of Japan and Mao. Not anymore.

We’ll have to put on a show, of course, for Japan and South Korea. Otherwise they might move towards the China sphere sooner than later.

4 Likes

Good point. The residents of Taiwan who have enough wealth, are opinionated or have a strong love for freedom or quasi-fair capitalism should had an exit strategy by now. The dooms day clock is ticking for them. The folks in Hawaii shouldn’t have to worry about that yet though.

1 Like

Taiwan is where all CPU chips for Apple (iPhones, iPads, Macs, etc) are made, and where chips for all sorts of other US products come from. Might qualify it as a strategic partner in a way Ukraine doesn’t.

2 Likes

Back two weeks ago, the G7 did for the first time mention Taiwan in their talks. So the news mentioned in Yahoo likely ties into that diplomacy, for what that’s worth. From the new link below:

Leaders of the Group of Seven industrialized nations are set to wrap up their three-day talks Sunday with a call for peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait, a diplomatic source said, a development that is likely to anger China… If realized, it will be the first time that the G7 — which groups Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United States, plus the European Union — has referred to the Taiwan situation in a leaders’ statement…

Why would they attack their favorite vacation destination area? Is Las Vegas next?

Japan to USA: Hawaii may suffer a sneak attack.
USA to Japan: Well that is your area of expertise after all :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Taiwan should re absorb China to make the world a better place.
It has a history of continuous Chinese culture and we can all see how the real Chinese fit into this world.
The CCP is just a bunch of uneducated morons as a result of Mao who are very scared of the thought of being pushed out of power by their own people.

2 Likes

Lucky the politicians in other countries are all well educated, trustworthy and honourable people that you can rely on to do the best for their voters. (Not just cronies and major contributors)

3 Likes

you changed the subject…its what they do outside their country, as if the Chinese population has any say in that or even knows due to the ccp’s total control over the media and internet

Trying to have a conversation about the CCP with the Bug is like trying to use reason with Heiwa. Don’t waste your time and brain cells

3 Likes

5 Likes

Bug is fine by me.

You hit the nail on the head. The US now has a bunch of weak, crooked, perverts in power now and given that AOC managed to get put in office, a stupid voter base in places also.

6 Likes

china usually plans generations ahead. It would be logical for them to move on Taiwan next and US ‘experts’ expect this in about 6 years but with the current ‘‘leadership’’ now may be a better time but they will know when better than I.

2 Likes