Tugs or OSVs

Well, I got busy sending out resumes and applications. Didn’t take very long to get a much better offer than where I am now. New job starts a week after my last hitch.

3 Likes

Good for you sir.

Tug or OSV?

Tug. Once I got to looking I found out that a lot of companies are hiring and are looking for mates and masters of towing.

Nice work, congratulations!

A couple of years ago a job listing on gcaptain would produce a 300 resumes in a couple of days. Most of them from people that were hopelessly unqualified, but a couple dozen from qualified people.

Today, the same listing produces 20 resumes. None of them are good candidates.

Union halls cannot supply enough guys.

Companies that never advertise jobs are advertising.

Just about everyone is hiring, and now even the best companies paying good money cannot afford to be too fussy.

1 Like

The cycle continues as before. Feast or famine. Eat well for now.

2 Likes

Alright let’s hear the raw truth, what are OSV mates makin these days???

I put in my notice today. Leaving my position as mate with Kirby. I’m part of the Florida division that is the red headed step child of the company, but mates are at $432/day, including the lone offshore tug doing wire work. I never looked anywhere else in over 10 years with the company, but within a few hours had a job offer as a mate making more than captains where I am. When I see what we are paid compared to other places, coupled with our division’s nearly crippling crew shortages, it all makes sense.

Wow, that’s ridiculously low for a mate of tow, even if they are just a sea bouy to sea bouy mate. Didn’t know kirby had a ‘florida’ division. Is that different than their ‘gulf’ division? I remember hearing gulf kirby was SIU?

From what i have been told most of the large OSV mates are getting high 400s/low 500s nowadays.

1 Like

No wonder they cannot find enough mates v

Our OS makes $400 a day.

:eyes: care to share what company is paying os $400 a day?

1 Like

Crowley ATB pays 400 for AB utility which is basically OS, duties wise.

I don’t think anyone out here is paying less than $300 for a deckhand. There aren’t too many under $350. There probably aren’t many over $400 unless they have special additional skills that are needed for a particular type of operation.

I agree. I am most assuredly not a sea buoy to sea buoy mate, either.

The Florida division is its own entity inside Kirby. Sort of like a forgotten and neglected red headed step child.

I just signed on with Foss as an AB. It’s been a rough ride up the hawsepipe and I’m looking forward to a decent check at the end of the hitch and an outfit that isn’t going to play too many head games. Anyone out there been to red dog? I’ve heard it’s a real treat :cold_face:

Foss has four boats and two barges at Red Dog. You won’t get ashore much if at all. There isn’t much there at the “port.” There is only about six weeks of the season left before the boats head for Tacoma. It’s a good job.

Any idea which tugs are on site?

Have fun, that is one of the better Foss gigs to have imo…

1 Like

Damn I might have to ditch this easy state job and go back to tuggin.