Travel from New Orleans to Galiano, Cut Off, Houma and Raceland

How do most mariners that fly in to New Orleans get to the OSV companies? Is there a shuttle or service that mariners use? Obviously while job hunting a rental car would work, but what about normal crew changes and what not? Average cab fares would help also.

Most company’s will pick you up at the airport . As far getting a job . A rental car will be a must . Chateau on the bayou is a cheep place to stay if your staying a few days . More important the lady that runs it has the in and outs of getting a job in the offshore industry . She has a thread on G captain . Hope this helps

Hope the company you hire on will pick you up and drop you off. Some do some don’t.

Cab’s cost about $100 to Golden Meadows.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row, pre-planning and seeing how everybody else does crewchange. I figure the guys have figured out the cheapest way to travel back and forth. Sounds like someone who lives there needs to get a van and have a car service.

They got the van and have the service. It will cost you about $100.00

how about parking long term at the airport?anybody find anything reasonable?near by? know the cost at the airport?
just got hired and will leave my wheels here first few hitches home…

[QUOTE=exdraggerman;102786]how about parking long term at the airport?anybody find anything reasonable?near by? know the cost at the airport?
just got hired and will leave my wheels here first few hitches home…[/QUOTE]

Sailed with several crew members who kept their vehicles at Security Van Lines, about a mile W of MSY on Airline Dr. They said is was cheaper than using a park and fly lot.

I know there is a rental car company near Galiano but I dont know how reliable it is since everyone else will be trying to use it

Fork and Blade if you are coming to the bayou job hunting you will have to have a rental car. It is over 50 miles from the airport to the south end of the bayou, and cab service is very limited to almost non-existant down there. Some companies are good about picking you up from the airport, some won’t even talk to you about it. Normally the bigger companies are a little better about this type of thing. Where I work we fly out of the same heli-port every trip. Some of the guys on my ship will rent a car drive it to the heli-port then your relief can take it back and drop it off. They spit the cost of the car, but you have to be on a regular boat, and have someone on the oposite crew that is in the same situation. Alot of guys bum rides from the people that live or pass by the airport. It seems that almost every crew change I stop and pick someone up or drop them off at the airport.

The advice about getting in touch with the lady that runs the chateau on the bayou is very good and would probably make your job search much simplified to stay there a few days, for some local advice.

I pretty much figured I needed a rental for job hunting, I was thinking ahead (or hoping) that once hired, I’d have to get my rental back to the airport and then get my way back to wherever hired. Just trying to get a gameplan for any situation. No better source of information than the guys that are already doing it :slight_smile: Thanks for the tip about the Chateau/Bayou lady. I’ve pretty much got addresses, and target companies to hit up. Thanks again.

Enterprise is the best car rental company to use. They have a number of offices through out LA, and you can rent one way.

There is an Enterprise office at MSY, but check other near by offices for rates. Frequently they are cheaper than the MSY office, and don’t have all the MSY taxes and extra fees.

I, if needed, will use a "Hot Shot Drive Co. (CS-transport out of NOL-#504-322-7404) Looking at the long term liabilities (what your job is worth $$$ & what your vechicle is worth ?) I don’t sweat a day or two of pay or even a extra flight now and than, it’s cheaper than looking for a job.

Enterprise has a branch at the Chevy dealership in Golden Meadow. It’s right up the road from the Walmart and is the closest rental place to Fourchon I know of. Hornbeck uses this spot all the time. All of our guys that fly in usually stay at the same hotel the night before crew change. One of them has the company paid rental car in their name. They take the shuttle to enterprise and pick up the car and come back to the hotel and pick everyone up. The out bound crew takes the rental back to the airport when they leave. This is all set up by the company. Other companies have an airport run made using a company vehicle. As Chief Rob stated if none of these are an option most of the time someone is passing by that way and will pick you up or drop you off.

Do not speed in Golden Meadow. Go below the speed limit as anything over may get you a ticket as most of us working down here know already.

Check out some of the car rental places in Kenner near the airport on Veterans Blvd., but not at the airport.
They will pick you up at the airport and bring you to their place to do the paperwork and pick up the car or you can take a taxi.

You can get a 7 day rate for $175 at Budget.
One of my mariners placed a bid on priceline, today, for $25/day and Avis won his bid.
There are good deals if you research before hand.
Check out Enterprise, Budget, Avis, etc.

There is an Enterprise in Galliano.
This could prove useful if, while knocking on doors with your bags packed, ready to go, you get the offer for the " pier head jump" when a company needs a warm body to fill a spot on short notice. Easier to drop the car there than to schlep it back up to the airport and figure out how to make your way back down.

Been useing Enterprise Car rental in the Chevy dealership,(Golden Motors) for years. Very dependable and freindly. However, reserve your car in advance on line, they are hard to get hold of on the phone, changeing reservation date due to crew change delay is easy online. Also, they close at 17:00 or so and have restricted hours on weekends.They have a key drop box so you can return car after hours.Airport and Fourchon/Galliano are in same area, so no fee for one way rentals, just don’t tell the online system that! Rental price is real reasonable.
Good Luck

Just an fyi, the enterprise in Galliano will pick you up or drop you off in Fourchon if the need for that ever arises.

[QUOTE=ForkandBlade;102755]How do most mariners that fly in to New Orleans get to the OSV companies? Is there a shuttle or service that mariners use? Obviously while job hunting a rental car would work, but what about normal crew changes and what not? Average cab fares would help also.[/QUOTE]

I’ve been getting a ride from a shipmate who drives past the airport on his way to the office for crew change. Our company doesn’t pick us up. If I didn’t have him, I’d usually take Enterprise as they allow you to go one way from the airport and drop off at Golden Motors on the 4 lane. The only time Enterprise didn’t allow a one way drop off was during Mardis Gras.

What about guys like me who will be up there using their own vehicle? Are their company/employee parking lots at Fourchon?