Transport Canada certificates

Hello all: (hoping for some Canadian mariners on the board)

After many years of working in the caribbean on diveboats (no license required) I am planning on returning to Canada and working on getting my 150gt domestic masters certificate.

After some research I’ve found BCIT in Vancouver and Holland College in PEI offering the necessary courses for the TC exams. I have seen some (little) mention of self study being a viable option before taking the TC exams instead of these courses. I remember from a 6pacOUPV course I took in the USA that the course wasn’t actually necessary and that some would self study. I am trying to find someone who has personally gone through these TC exams and could share a recommendation. All the courses could take potentially 6 months at one of the schools, so I’m curious if it really is feasible for someone to take on all this studying on their own.

Some background info; I did take, finish and pass a USCG OUPV course/exam but never submitted after realizing the restrictions on the OUPV being Canadian. I have completed and passed a RYA day skipper shore-based course. I did finish a STCW BST course in the states, only then to realize I could not register it as a Canadian and basically got ripped off. (my fault for not doing enough research but the school did say I could take the course as a Canadian).

Thanks in advance for any help.

hope this helps

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/ptec-menu.htm

Why didn’t you go ahead & get your OUPV? I know it would be limited to non-documented vessels, but you could have applied your BST towards it, along w/a US A/B or OS rating. I’m not sure how Canada deals with White List STCWs, but a US OICNW will typically get you a Certificate of Equivalency from other White List nations, at least if your license is >300ITC.

[QUOTE=Seancro;101958]Hello all: (hoping for some Canadian mariners on the board)

After many years of working in the caribbean on diveboats (no license required) I am planning on returning to Canada and working on getting my 150gt domestic masters certificate.

After some research I’ve found BCIT in Vancouver and Holland College in PEI offering the necessary courses for the TC exams. I have seen some (little) mention of self study being a viable option before taking the TC exams instead of these courses. I remember from a 6pacOUPV course I took in the USA that the course wasn’t actually necessary and that some would self study. I am trying to find someone who has personally gone through these TC exams and could share a recommendation. All the courses could take potentially 6 months at one of the schools, so I’m curious if it really is feasible for someone to take on all this studying on their own.

Some background info; I did take, finish and pass a USCG OUPV course/exam but never submitted after realizing the restrictions on the OUPV being Canadian. I have completed and passed a RYA day skipper shore-based course. I did finish a STCW BST course in the states, only then to realize I could not register it as a Canadian and basically got ripped off. (my fault for not doing enough research but the school did say I could take the course as a Canadian).

Thanks in advance for any help.[/QUOTE]

Why don’t you ask Transport Canada? The guys at Marine Safety Saint John are very friendly and helpful. (506) 636-4748, email: ms-saintjohn-sm@tc.gc.ca