Transocean questions...pay/benefits

I was a shipboard conventional electrician in the Navy for almost 10 years from 1992-2002. I was told that Transocean maybe interested in me since I have ship experience and was an electrician. All of that aside, I went to their website and they are hiring electricians. However, I cannot find anything about pay or benefits. I called their company phone number and I was told that was confidential information. REALLY? Confidential? So what does a guy do? Fill out an application, go through a lot of work to get hired and find out the pay/benefits suck? Can anyone here help a noob like myself out with any information concerning Transocean? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Martilyo!

[QUOTE=Martilyo;56056] So what does a guy do? Fill out an application, go through a lot of work to get hired and find out the pay/benefits suck? [/QUOTE]

Yes.

The pay and benefits aren’t perfect (you’ll always find someone willing to complain) but, trust me, filling out the application is worth your time.

An experienced rig electrician will make $120,000 to $150,000 a year aboard a deep water drill ship. That’s working a month on & month off schedule. Usually 20-25% extra for international work vs Gulf of Mexico.
Unless you have a Finance MBA with chances of working on Wall Street, you will want to follow up with TransOcean. Also apply to Ensco, SeaDrill and Noble Drilling as well.

Anyone have any info on pay for a 2ND Assistant Engineer? Looking at leaving the OSV and seeing what the difference would be in pay versus a Chief on a 280’ OSV.
Thanks,
Power

Hey Thanks for the info. I checked out Ensco and SeaDrill but they don’t seem to be hiring electricians at this time. I see Noble is hiring. I really need to get my resume revamped. Any recommendations on resume layout to help me land a job? I was in the Navy from 1992-2002 but from 2002 until now is not related to the job. I am sure this will hinder me a bit, but it is not like I have forgotten how to troubleshoot. Also, I am curious how I get from where I live to the rig. I live is Dallas, TX. If the rig is off the coast of New Mexico, is there a meeting point where a boat takes me to the rig or something? If it is a 21day rotation, do most people park their cars somewhere with a car cover or something? Your help always is appreciated!

Martilyo!

[QUOTE=Martilyo;56098]Hey Thanks for the info. I checked out Ensco and SeaDrill but they don’t seem to be hiring electricians at this time. I see Noble is hiring. I really need to get my resume revamped. Any recommendations on resume layout to help me land a job? I was in the Navy from 1992-2002 but from 2002 until now is not related to the job. I am sure this will hinder me a bit, but it is not like I have forgotten how to troubleshoot. Also, I am curious how I get from where I live to the rig. I live is Dallas, TX. If the rig is off the coast of New Mexico, is there a meeting point where a boat takes me to the rig or something? If it is a 21day rotation, do most people park their cars somewhere with a car cover or something? Your help always is appreciated!

Martilyo![/QUOTE]

Last time I checked, there was not a coast off of New Mexico…

[QUOTE=CaptRob1;56102]Last time I checked, there was not a coast off of New Mexico…[/QUOTE]

Thank you for correcting my error…I would hope everyone understood what I meant without having to correct it, but thank you none the less…

Martilyo,

As an electrician your travel from Dallas would be company provided with Transocean. They’ll fly you from your home airport to the crew change location and get you from that airport to the hotel for the night and then to the heliport in the morning. If you choose to drive to your crew change anyway there are parking lots at all of the major heliports. You park there at your own risk of theft and weather damage.

I would send applications in to the other drillers anyway even if they aren’t posting jobs. Electricians and ET’s are in demand and when they depart to a competitor the need for a replacement is immediate. Another consideration is to apply with some of the temp staffing agencies that support offshore work. They may be able to get you out to a rig to make sure it’s what you want to do and to build up your resume with some more recent work.

On the New Mexico thing… I suspect that CaptRob was just faster with the response than the rest of us as it was an easy target. The advice on here might not cost any money but it’s not free!

LOL on the free part. I probably would have said the same thing! Thank you for posting. I will apply to other drilling companies. I need to get my resume in order. I appreciate the help!

Martlyo!

[QUOTE=Gille54spie;56306]Anyone have any info on pay for a 2ND Assistant Engineer? Looking at leaving the OSV and seeing what the difference would be in pay versus a Chief on a 280’ OSV.
Thanks,
Power

[/QUOTE]

Pending what drilling company, $150-$180k a year…

I am told 2AE gets $130,000 and up domestic. Add 20-25% to that for international work. There are bonuses too to figure in but they vary greatly. The odds of going from OSV straight to 2AE aren’t great. One should probably figure on starting as 3AE. The pay would be about 10 or 20 thousand less but after figuring in better benefits for less money it would probably be an equal jump since you only work 6 months a year and you wouldn’t be third for long.

[QUOTE=tengineer;56389]I am told 2AE gets $130,000 and up domestic. Add 20-25% to that for international work. There are bonuses too to figure in but they vary greatly. The odds of going from OSV straight to 2AE aren’t great. One should probably figure on starting as 3AE. The pay would be about 10 or 20 thousand less but after figuring in better benefits for less money it would probably be an equal jump since you only work 6 months a year and you wouldn’t be third for long.[/QUOTE]

The part about drilling, normally they pay for training for moving up. Benefits are better and so on. You’ll just have more equipment to mess with, but it is a trade off. Noble Drilling always seems to be looking for people and you can move up with them.

Thanks for the info. I’m working six months year now and make 100k. If I can get that as a 3rd moving to the rig/drillship starting out would be great. I know some people who were hired as 3rd and moved up to 2nd after a few hitches.

Hey Martilyo… would you mind letting me know if you get any feedback from those companies Please??? I’ve been applying for over a year and haven’t heard a peep out of any of them. I don’t know why. I see their postings when they come up but never hear from them. I did a brief hitch with Seadrill and would absolutley love to get back out there.

I will. I just applied to MSC for Second Electrician. I also emailed Noble drilling my resume. I am almost temped to drive to Houston to hand companies my resume in person. Not sure if it would be worth my 4 hour drive. Who knows…

[QUOTE=Martilyo;58699] I am almost temped to drive to Houston to hand companies my resume in person. Not sure if it would be worth my 4 hour drive. Who knows…[/QUOTE]

I can’t say in your trade but if you do that take your seabag and all your papers along. If you get hired they will usually want an immediate start.

I seen that Noble is looking for 2nd engineer. I sail on a US flag ship and to me 2nd engineer means 2nd assistant. Is that the same at Noble? Or is the 2nd Engineer the equivalent to First Assistant?

Q: is there any way for sum1 with entry level endorsements and no seatime or exp working at sea to even think or have a chance working with one of these drilling companys…?

I dont think there are alot of the drilling companies that do “walk-ins”. I think Noble does. I dont think Transocean does. But maybe some one that knows for sure can let you know.

Most of the drilling companies have security at the front door or close by. Most HR people won’t let you talk to them or sit down with them if you don’t have an appointment and many won’t set up an appointment unless they need you. I tried for a week straight to sit down with HR at Sea Drill and they wouldn’t even call me back. Transocean same thing, Diamond was the only place I was able to walk into, after going through security I got to sit down with the hiring lady, she was extremely nice and gave me her business card and chatted with me for a few minutes. The receptionist at Pacific drilling was very nice, now if my special request( Cadet info) or resume ever made it back to HR is another story. Walking in all of the supply boat companies is a lot easier.

Good luck with your pursuits.

Nate